Topic: my starving dog just killed a bear single handed  (Read 3238 times)

fflol

« on: November 23, 2021, 12:12:34 PM »
so, I was hunting a bear.

wearing all the gears I could gather around, stalking, point-blank shot 8 arrows, missed all of them.

The big guy finally got pissed off and charged at me, I blocked the strike with a shield, pissed in my fine fur pants. Now the bear decided he doesn't like the feel of this, and ran off.

I was OK with it, but my dog doesn't take crap from anyone and went after the bear.

Now, we were stalking this bear for days, and being the unorganized hunter I am, I didn't bring enough food, so she's been staving for days. I'm not sure what's going on, normally if the dog is injured or starved, they wouldn't execute an 'attack' order. I guess this time it's personal.

Anyway, I went after the dog, can't decide if I should bury it, or eat what's left. Then I heard the dog bark, then she came back with just a fracture in the abdomen. I said good, she learned a lesson the hard way, from a bear, that's quite legendary for a Finnish Spitz, you should be proud of yourself.

Then I saw the torn body of the poor bear, just lying there, bloodscape. I'm still totally confused. You tell me that little dog, who refuses to chase a reindeer if you don't feed her, just ragdolled a full-grown bear to death? She can't even carry 50 meat cuts.

I'd rather believe it's the spirit of the forest, the old man took my silver, he came down, struck the bear to death, saved my dog, then secretly went back up.

BTW any experience with the crossbow skill? I've got 75% skill but couldn't shoot anything.

JP_Finn

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 06:56:26 AM »
Iron Age pups were hardier?  ???

75 bow / x-bow skill should be workable. Do you recall how much encumbrance AND Fatigue you had?

When I head out with bow, I try to keep the encumbrance below 10, usually around 7.
And I find it’s better to keep the fatigue 1-2 at most, so it only takes few rest turns to 0 it.

Kouvostoliitto

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 01:44:01 PM »
Iron Age pups were hardier?  ???

75 bow / x-bow skill should be workable. Do you recall how much encumbrance AND Fatigue you had?

When I head out with bow, I try to keep the encumbrance below 10, usually around 7.
And I find it’s better to keep the fatigue 1-2 at most, so it only takes few rest turns to 0 it.
I also have a problem with competence. If a person is a "grand master" in archery, he should be faster than the others. He should also hit better, but the man might send an arrow to fly badly.

What about the sword? I understand it's a turn-based game ... but he won't survive against enemies, even if he's a master. He is too slow, even if he is fast and skillful.
The villagers attack even the owner of the sword, and fight the last girl and boy. The villagers should be made more fearful.
The master shoots 2 times where the enemy has time to advance 2-3 meters. You start against the sword only with a group, or armed.

One thing I miss is tying a person and kidnapping children.

ineedcords

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 12:20:49 PM »
<snip>The villagers attack even the owner of the sword, and fight the last girl and boy. The villagers should be made more fearful.<snip>
Indeed! Toning this iron-will-to-fight down a notch would increase realism and help create a more believable game-world.
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

anything