Topic: Beavers. And guilt.  (Read 3088 times)

Shadowdweller

« on: August 21, 2021, 01:42:11 PM »
I just killed a family of six beavers.  They came inland far enough that I could run and cut them off, clubbing them to death while they waddled slowly toward the water.  Two of those six ran afoul of slopes and bad pathfinding.  I seem to recall beavers being almost impossible to hunt effectively?  Is this something new?

Of course, now I feel a bit sad and guilty (IRL) for the greed-based massacre  :'(

PALU

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 02:46:08 PM »
If you're able to process them all into food and skin you're excused by me, but if you're letting several carcasses just rot you're not. Depending on the situation, skin might be more important than food, in which case you may allow some of the meat to go to waste. However, just processing the skin of 6 beavers will be a race against time, so I'd consider turning to drugs to keep awake.

Shadowdweller

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 12:20:26 AM »
Meat roasted and traded away. Beaver skins are about as labor-intensive to tan as fox skins, so no issues handling them.  I'm mostly surprised that 1) so many beavers were found together, and 2) that they wandered so far away from the water. I had never witnessed either previously.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 09:13:10 AM »
The few beavers I've encountered have been in fairly large groups.