Topic: RIP, Bul  (Read 3977 times)

Tom H

« on: September 09, 2021, 10:28:48 AM »
My oldest character, Bul, died today. 1699 days...bah!

I saw a dead elk out in a frozen lake. After testing the ice near the shore for safety, I walked out to it. It was fresh! So, I skinned it for a Fine pelt. I was a bit fatigued but then went ahead with butchering. At 118 cuts, it seems I was too exhausted to continue... and THEN the ice broke under me. Too fatigued to move, I could not crawl out of the water. I dropped everything, but, alas, fatigue was still over 100. Died a frozen, watery death.

(yes, I ignored the fact that the elk had broken the ice and died. I got what I deserved...lol)

PALU

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 10:43:02 AM »
You also made the extremely dangerous move of increasing your character's carry weight not once, but twice. If you're lazy you should at least move back to the shore and drop the pelt, before killing yourself by increasing the weight by 118 cuts.

My procedure for these cases is:
- Cut a pile of branches in case the character falls through.
- Drop everything non essential (a knife or similar item IS essential, since it helps you get out of the water: the game takes that into account) to reduce weight.
- Crawl out to the carcass (the game takes you stance into consideration, so prone is superior to standing). If you fall through, retreat back to the shore and try to light a fire on the branches, warm up, and give up the suicidal mission unless you're prepared to bring a punt and embark on an ice smashing punt ride.
- Pull it to the character and then crawl back one tile.
- Repeat until reaching shore or getting tired. If the former, retreat to the shore and rest (optionally by a fire)
- Once the character is on land, start the skinning and butchering process.

When too tired or in doubt, save the game and rest up to approach the situation with a less foggy mind.

JP_Finn

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 03:52:26 PM »
My method is still different from that;
1) mark location on map
2) head to the cabin
3) pick up a punt, paddle and woodsman’s axe
4) head over to the drown carcass
5) slowly & steady, cut your way to the carcass traveling in the punt.
6) drag the carcass to the shore
7) process the carcass

Tom H

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 11:05:18 AM »
Yeah. I knew I was playing with fire (so to speak). When one ignores that little voice telling him the risk...

PALU

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 02:45:56 PM »
Ah well, you have the chance to learn from your experience of playing with ice, unlike poor Bul...

ineedcords

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 12:44:07 PM »
@Tom H
Sorry to hear that. Wish you a more risk averse approach next time, to see day 1700 and beyond :)

My method:
-Have a tied animal that carries a punt & paddle to get out easy.
-Light a fire before heading out on to the ice so (in the event ice broke) you don't have to try and start a fire under time pressure while approaching a frozen death by the minute.
-Have a bull to push the elk on to so you don't have to deal with it on an icy lake & you distribute the load to your tile & neighbouring tile.
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

PALU

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 02:48:46 PM »
The problem with lighting a fire beforehand is that it would have to be a mighty big one if you crawl out and pull the carcass back one tile at a time: that takes a lot of time.

I would expect a bull to fall through if the elk did. At least it should when loaded up with the elk, but there's a reason the elk fell through...
Now the bull may or may not be safe from drowning due to PC presence magic, but I'd still consider that to be an abuse of the mechanics. I don't believe cows are particularly well known for either their ability to walk on ice or their ability to get out of holes in it when they fall through.

ineedcords

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 04:21:25 PM »
Length of fire is not a problem: the same bull (the one that would carry the elk carcass) can be used to easily transfer a nearby fallen tree trunk so that it can be used as fire fuel which will burn for hours. As an optional, nice-to-have preparation step: whenever a fallen tree trunk is located during travels just push it on to the bull (assuming it doesn't already carry one). In worst case scenario, if you never need a big fire on the journey, trunk ends up at your base to be used in the next building project/eventual firewood/for any number of wooden items to be built in the future etc.

Bull falling through is not a problem either: to be crystal clear I cannot claim "it cannot happen in this game ever" but personally as far as I can remember I have never seen a tied bull drown thus on my mind -so far- it is not a possibility, at least not with my playstyle.

Which brings me to the conclusion there is zero visible downside to getting onto thin ice with tied animals as long as one has the guaranteed means to (1)get out of water in a reasonable amount of time (2)get warm quickly. As detailed above, this approach does guarantee both of them as 1 is guaranteed by the presence of punt & paddle (packed on tied bull), 2 is guaranteed by the fire burning ~half screen away.
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Tom H

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 08:31:00 AM »
Although it might seem to be an exploit, I probably could have survived by wielding a paddle and putting down a punt before I began the skinning and butchering. Then if the ice broke I'd be standing in the punt with a paddle, even if I was completely exhausted. I'd have avoided being water-soaked and could just rest to recover from fatigue. Why didn't I think of that? lol

PALU

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 10:48:05 AM »
I don't think using a punt on the ice as a safeguard would be an exploit, as it ought to work in real life. If nothing else, it distributes your weight over a larger area,and you could then put the meat etc. into it and either smash-paddle to the shore or pull the punt after you (i.e. pull to/back away repeatedly, using the game's available functionality).

anything