Topic: Can it be done?  (Read 5904 times)

Ara D.

« on: June 21, 2021, 01:49:28 PM »
My laptop is near dead. However I was recently given Chromebook. Is there anything like an emulator that would allow me to download UrW?

I'm just loathe to buy a new laptop as Im not a student or need a laptop for work I basically just use it for UrW
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:58:55 PM by Ara D. »

ineedcords

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 02:38:19 PM »
My laptop is near dead. However I was recently given Chromebook. Is there anything like an emulator that would allow me to download UrW?

I'm just loathe to buy a new laptop as Im not a student or need a laptop for work I basically just use it for UrW
I have never owned a Chromebook so I do not have first hand experience. There are a couple of options listed here, have you reviewed this list or a similar one?
https://www.howtogeek.com/173353/how-to-run-windows-software-on-a-chromebook/

Having skimmed through the list quickly, I would recommend going with 'Option Five (Sort Of): Run Linux Software in Developer Mode'.
There is one thing you should check before hand though: is your Chromebook hardware ARM-based or Intel-based? 

I am asking because of this note, from that article linked above: 'Bear in mind that many Linux programs, such as Minecraft, Skype, and Steam, are only available for Intel x86 processors and won’t run on devices with ARM processors..'
There is a similar note for the 3rd option (Virtual Machine): "Important: Typical virtual machine software like VirtualBox won’t function on ARM Chromebooks. You’ll want to have an Intel-based Chromebook to try this out."
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Plotinus

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 12:30:42 PM »
I haven't used a chromebook but you could try one of the linux versions of URW

Ara D.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 03:28:58 PM »
I'll try a Linux version before I attempt developer mode. But I think the main problem is Chromebooks are basically giant phones and by default you can't download and run programs you have to use an app, other than playability do to screen size the ahh the dream of UrW on my phone  :D :D

Plotinus

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 03:58:18 PM »
oh, that makes sense. I hope you can get it working, though

Ara D.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 05:09:08 AM »
YES IT CAN!!! so i did some googling on computer games on cromebook turns out new cromebooks come loaded with linux just had to turn it on and download linux 64 version from enormous elk.

ineedcords

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 11:42:24 AM »
YES IT CAN!!! so i did some googling on computer games on cromebook turns out new cromebooks come loaded with linux just had to turn it on and download linux 64 version from enormous elk.
Well, I did tell you that already above :)
Having skimmed through the list quickly, I would recommend going with 'Option Five (Sort Of): Run Linux Software in Developer Mode'.

Glad you sorted it in the end and took the time to report back for the next guy!
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.