Topic: Items go missing  (Read 586 times)

ineedcords

« on: June 10, 2021, 02:00:33 AM »
Hi,

I seem to be experiencing a strange 'items lost/missing' issue. I wonder if it is a bug?
I had a set of items on my person, all masterwork quality such as handaxe + broadknife + spear etc. As I go about my normal business constantly 'dropping all' and 'picking up all' to reduce overburden malus, it appears items go missing. I am not sure at this stage if it is connected to drop all/pick up all action at all or some other issue.

Here is what happened just now: I had a 'masterwork handaxe' that went missing, so I travelled from north edge of map to Driik area to get another one. I found only a "fine handaxe" so far and bought two of them. Meanwhile I just noticed that my broadknife disappeared now. I had a similar event yesterday (masterwork spear disappeared) at the time I thought that it could be my mistake. Now, two items missing in an hour or so without doing anything strange I started wondering if this is a known issue as the rate of items going missing went way up.

I'll attach a savegame, in case it is user error somehow although I can't imagine misusing drop all/pick up all commands.

--
Edit #1: savegame download link added (archived with 7zip utility, using the password '123') https://hostr.co/NhkCx4ehMFjU

Checksum values:
    File: MGM.7z
  CRC-32: 1d3c9ba4
     MD5: 2662064d611281b591fc5cfde336a1cc
   SHA-1: 3c3b3859d7f192072abb9ee7a3ffe85d305c1e90
 SHA-256: 8f37414d070593cdba7c636cddc935d018c8ea76c3d9f8243dd36c7c0892e566
 SHA-512: fae8aea2fb4e164db340f889833d068bdee4efbf5dccfd133d14c75659683eb6b1c92e562728bcd2b5b68703666159dfe8223c7d1b717575efce00d98a08f309
--

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 02:08:30 AM by ineedcords »
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Tinker

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 11:05:40 AM »
I have noticed something similar occasionally. Last time I had harvested 150+ lake reeds and was going to start grinding flour but I had no roots to grind. Assuming I had do something stupid and lost the roots I harvested another 100+ plants when I returned home to grind flour I had the new roots and the old ones, there was no encumbrance penalty from the old roots until I opened the inventory to select which roots to grind.

The next day I had lost my paddle, once again I assumed I had dropped it somewhere and rather than search I made a new one, when I tried to wield it there were two in my inventory.

There may have been other instances of inventory items changing but these two stuck in my mind, most of the time I am not sure what I have so do not notice odd things missing, or returning.

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 12:57:09 PM »
That would be the newest feature in Unreal World, the 'Twilight Zone' area. Best advice, never hire a Companion named "Rod'...

ineedcords

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 03:11:04 PM »
I am still working on replacing lost items and thinking about this disaster in the background...
In case it matters at all, this is my longest living character on this computer 756  days alive, 10500 km travelled.
As far as I can remember, I haven't experienced this items-go-missing problem before at all. Most of my characters usually die to some-stupid-choice within the first year.
I wonder if length of savegame (accumulation of items) have an impact?

To give some details: this is a party of 6 dogs and 3 bulls; all animals are packed with items to the fullest extent so a serious amount of cargo moving around on the map.
(The very moment of savegame may not be fully packed but it does occasionally get so busy with cargo).

I remember reading about that "item limit on map tile" - I can't remember ever seeing a warning about in one of my settlements so probably that limit is very high.
I am curious if there is a similar "party items limit" for player character & owned animals and whether I hit that limit to see "items randomly go missing".

Other than that I really have no clue how items went missing. I'm now more careful in the sense I manually check inventory every half hour and also take a manual savegame backup just in case.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 05:13:14 PM »
If you carry too many item stacks, the game will prompt you about it (around 8am day-click) and excess items will be placed on the ground at characters feet. You can pick up the dropped stacks and carry on. I usually eat some individual items or dump some easy to replace ones.

Usually happens to me when heading for a trade trip with piles of furs, plenty of food and loot from Njerpez.

PALU

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 07:30:40 PM »
If you carry too many item stacks, the game will prompt you about it (around 8am day-click) and excess items will be placed on the ground at characters feet. You can pick up the dropped stacks and carry on. I usually eat some individual items or dump some easy to replace ones.

Usually happens to me when heading for a trade trip with piles of furs, plenty of food and loot from Njerpez.
What's actually happens in those cases when I've encountered it is that food degrades while the inventory is (too) full, and it seems the logic tries to add the degraded stacks before the degrading ones are removed, thus pushing (some of) the degraded stacks out of the inventory as there's no room for them. If that's what's happening to you, you should be able to pick those dropped stacks up from the ground. It can be rather bad when it happens to full inventories on craft (I had my craft disintegrate on the overland map ending up in the water and swimming to the shore on the overland map on an old version: that particular bug was fixed, though). Also note that this version of the issue only affects things that degrade over time, so weapons and tools should be unaffected.

ineedcords

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 08:13:18 PM »

Thanks for the input. In this instance, I did not get a prompt about having too many items (and on a side note I never ever got one about the homestead items) so I guess I am not that big of a hoarder. I try to reduce old clothes to bandage piles, try to sell/get rid of or even 'discard' unwanted items.

My worry currently is a quietly deleted item due to bug or something else...

ineedcords

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 03:57:46 PM »
I have an update on this.
I've been playing many hours this week and this 'missing items' being my top and only worry about this game, I have had a chance to focus on it...
After many hours of testing, it appears rather than items magically disappearing from inventory, what actually is happening is item(s) inexplicably stay on the ground following my drop all & pick up all loop. 

For example, when I do the usual loop:
Action #1: Drop all items
Action #2: <take an action - such as cut down a tree>
Action #3: Pick up all items

At the end of step 3, I expect the original inventory that was on my person to be fully back however it appears that is not the case.
One item inexplicably stays on the ground even after issuing pick up all command.
Just today, with 5 hours of play I noticed this happening in 3 separate occasions - one items stays on ground.

Below is one example with screenshots from Message Log & and the one 'left behind' item.

For now, I guess I will need to be more careful when doing drop/pick up all...
To me this appears to be a bug so I am all ears to hear Sami's response on this.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 04:23:07 PM »
If you can reliably reproduce this "drop all", "pick all", and some items constantly still stay on the ground you could send me the savegame so I can try it myself.

At first I'd assume human error, eg. mistaken keypress that clears one item from pick all list, or something like that.
But if it happens constantly, and can be reliably reproduced, I'll take a look at the savegame.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

ineedcords

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 05:28:20 PM »
If you can reliably reproduce this "drop all", "pick all", and some items constantly still stay on the ground you could send me the savegame so I can try it myself.

At first I'd assume human error, eg. mistaken keypress that clears one item from pick all list, or something like that.
But if it happens constantly, and can be reliably reproduced, I'll take a look at the savegame.
Thank you Sami. I do not have a reproduceable bug unfortunately. I will keep an eye out and if ever reach reproducibility, will post a new savegame here.