Topic: Mad Dog  (Read 2488 times)

Kararas

« on: April 28, 2021, 03:41:57 PM »
  Hi folks, I recently met thieves far from home, I had two of my dogs.  The fight ended with the death of three thieves, not a single scratch on me, but MANY wounds on the dogs.  One of the dogs ran, but I thought it was because of the wounds.  He had an arrow, so I think I accidentally hit it during the fight.  It's been about a week now, the dog is still trying to escape and does not touch the food.  He is completely cured, so I don't know what to do about it. :'(

PALU

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 06:31:02 PM »
Yes, you probably injured the dog yourself and it's trying to escape. Dogs that get in that state can calm down, at least sometimes.
I'd try, with no guarantee of success for any attempt, the following:
1. Leave the area (more than 3 overworld tiles), and then return.
2. Release the dog in a building, leave and close the door, move away and return as before.
3. Release the dog in a large enclosure, such as your homestead if it's completely enclosed, or on an island, move and return as before.
4. Release the dog into the wilderness (e.g. just outside of the homestead) and let it run, and hope it calms down and returns.

Note that it's quite possible the dog may attack your character shortly after being release, so I'd try to have some means to escape without hurting it (such as climbing over a fence). I'd expect the dog to eventually calm down in that scenario, especially if you leave and return.

Again, no guarantees any of this will work, but animals usually calm down, and I've had animals in the past that were hit accidentally, fled, and returned after calming down, as well as dogs that calmed down while tied to a tree, but they can remain stuck in flight mode while tied to something.

Kararas

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 08:57:22 PM »
Good news, I was already thinking about killing or letting my poor Kustavi, and I have already brought a donation to the spirits, but after going to get some water I found that the dog is no escape and whining about food.Now he is fine.I don’t know, maybe it’s just a long time passed, maybe while I was walking away to the lake the dog fell from hunger and returned to normal, or walking away to a distance really worked.  Anyway, I think just have to wait

PALU

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 10:23:56 AM »
Congratulations to have been able to settle the disagreement with your faithful companion.

JP_Finn

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 04:01:56 PM »
Leashing and unleashing an escaping dog resets the escape action.
Any combat, with anyone aggroing will send the dog escaping again, if it hasn’t healed enough.

anything