Topic: Bloodloss  (Read 2342 times)

Tinker

« on: April 21, 2021, 01:02:57 PM »
So just what is bloodloss? I know that you can lose blood from wounds, such as opening a wound when treating it, and you can get messages like 'you are bleeding to death.'
There is a bloodloss indicator on the UI but no scale or other indication of what it is telling me. Stats like injury, fatigue, starvation and load carried all have malus points but bloodloss does not, as if there is no penalty for not having any blood left. I recently had a case of bloodloss when treating a severe wound in my leg, I stopped the bleeding immediately and the bloodloss indicator was full, there were no ill effects that I could tell. I then treated seven minor wounds with no problem then I tried treating a severe cut in my eye which also started bleeding, again I stopped it. The bloodloss indicator on the UI did not change as it was already full and there seemed to be no ill effects to losing 200% of my blood. Over the following days the level on the UI slowly dropped to about 50%.

So I am left wondering what the indicator means, what are the effects, if any, of bloodloss and what causes to blood to be regenerated?

My medical training tells me that the should be some slight fatigue and reduced coordination as you approach 30%, dramatically rising as you get towards 40% followed by unconsciousness. Making new blood relies on being well fed and plenty of water. (irl it is a bit more complex but urw does not model vitamins and trace elements)

PALU

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 03:44:06 PM »
As far as I can tell, blood loss can result in fainting, which, of course, is bad news when something is trying to kill you, and I assume you can bleed out if the bleeding continues without being stopped (and I've never seen bleeding stopping spontaneously on the PC, even though it's common in animals). I've lost dogs and companions to blood loss after a fight because I simply didn't have enough time to treat the companions in time (saving 2 and losing 2, or something), as well as before treatment of others was possible.

I've had a case where my character at the time ran away from a fight, fainted, woke up, managed to stop the blood flow, and then survived (because the the threat had presumably been unable to find my character).

I don't treat wounds that risk opening when my character has lost a lot of blood, but do when it should be possible to treat the wound before it becomes dangerous in case the wound would reopen.

I expect the UrW blood recovery is based on time alone, but I haven't been in a situation with a blood loss and a lack of food (and never any serious lack of water).

Given how UrW behaves, I would guess the blood loss meter indicates not total amount of blood, but when you would have a 50% chance of fainting, or something like that, before taking resistance/susceptibility to fainting into consideration.

Tinker

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 10:26:23 AM »
I reached a similar conclusion, the bloodloss meter is possibly the measure of how close you are to suffering some effects, while the bar is not full there is less chance of fainting or whatever.

I am playing a HHA scenario and with 65% injuries, most severe, I am concentrating on healing despite starvation growing. Even though the bloodloss bar is full I quite often mange to bleed more when treating wounds and still did not notice any ill effects.

Bloodloss recovery does not seem to be connected to anything other than time, recovering from bloodloss seemed the same with 60% starvation as it was later when I was well fed, though I have not been short of water so that could make a difference.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 02:21:40 PM »
Healing seems to work in a somewhat non intuitive way in UrW: Rather than each healing attempt contributing to healing, it really just replaces the healing result roll with a new one, which may or may not be better than the previous one, ultimately just leading to training of the physician skill (which is useful in the long term, but not a priority when starving).

Thus, when you've got your healing indication as green as you can (or good enough), you should leave it be until it heals, as the next attempt will probably slow down the healing rate. It might be that you could improve the healing rate later on when the injury has healed a bit if the healing roll depends on the current injury state rather than the original severity, but I haven't seen any indication that the risk of bleeding reduces with healing (when I've treated all wounds daily in order to increase the physician skill).

anything