Topic: Pouring two identical containers together.  (Read 4515 times)

rudy

« on: January 14, 2021, 04:03:24 PM »
When you have a stack of two containers with the exact same thing of them, you cannot pour one into the other, because the game thinks you are trying to pour a container into itself. If you have a third container of a different type you can workaround it, but it would be nice if this was addressed as a convenience.

If it would be a lot of work, I acknowledge that it's probably not worth it.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 07:52:12 PM »
Duplicated with 2 wooden bowls with 1 turnip in each.

I think variation of the code already exists, as you can join stacked cords and ropes.

Privateer

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 09:05:15 PM »
 I'm guessing the issue is similar to the code that prevents you buying a knife and using a knife as part of payment
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 09:12:30 PM »
I'm guessing the issue is similar to the code that prevents you buying a knife and using a knife as part of payment

Another thing I'd like to see fixed. Why can't I barter my old knife/axe/whatever when trading for a better one?

trowftd

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 09:21:10 PM »
Another thing I'd like to see fixed. Why can't I barter my old knife/axe/whatever when trading for a better one?

I agree with this fully... Maybe I want to give him a replacement for the one that I'm taking from? ;D And it is -1 from their stock too, why don't they just accept it.

rudy

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 02:21:33 AM »
I doubt it, actually. The container issue here is occurring because they are essentially the "same" item; the game is storing them as one stack of the same item, that is.
The trading issue occurs even for "different" items. Broad Knife and Fine Broad Knife, for example. They are stored as separate items. The trading thing seems more like a deliberate choice in the programming, rather than an unintentional effect.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 04:35:29 AM »
I doubt it, actually. The container issue here is occurring because they are essentially the "same" item; the game is storing them as one stack of the same item, that is.
The trading issue occurs even for "different" items. Broad Knife and Fine Broad Knife, for example. They are stored as separate items. The trading thing seems more like a deliberate choice in the programming, rather than an unintentional effect.

Indeed. There’s no “error code” but an actual dialogue about who’s wanting what.

PALU

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 10:52:31 AM »

I agree with this fully... Maybe I want to give him a replacement for the one that I'm taking from? ;D And it is -1 from their stock too, why don't they just accept it.
If you were to sell a good knife to someone, would you accept a worse one as part of the payment?

The NPC selling the item has a spare one that's not needed, so getting another unneeded one as a "replacement" isn't useful. NPCs aren't traders, but individuals who may have spare items that can be bartered away in exchange for things they have use for.

trowftd

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 12:41:21 PM »
If you were to sell a good knife to someone, would you accept a worse one as part of the payment?

The NPC selling the item has a spare one that's not needed, so getting another unneeded one as a "replacement" isn't useful. NPCs aren't traders, but individuals who may have spare items that can be bartered away in exchange for things they have use for.
I feel like it is weird because knives actually have good values(Meaning they are valuable and should sell good?). It is not a exchange of knives too, I'll pay NPC the equal value of his items anyway.

I think it is understandable but whenever I face something like this it feels weird to me. I guess their primary goal isn't actually trading for profit and values necessarily, but trading for usefulness, that can be the reason I think.