Topic: Zoom In during spring and fall, thin ice  (Read 3514 times)

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« on: December 19, 2020, 06:29:59 AM »
There's a zoom in bug when looking in the local spot during spring's thin ice.
The ice on the river was "not safe". River bend; river north, north-east and east of the spruce mire; while facing NE. Zoomed in an fell through the ice on entry. Luckily the spot was just 2 tiles / 4m / 12-13 feet in to the "wrong side".

BUG: zoom in to local map, enter on thin ice / water.
Expectation: enter on land, facing water.

The following morning, zooming out, the Wilderness Map waters showed as water, not ice. The Zoom In map showed the river shore still frozen.

Screen cap taken after felling slender trunks for fire. Oddly enough, the broken ice, frosted over during the time it took to cut the young spruce down and light it up.

Edit:@Brygun below, reported similar issue in early winter with ford river/ford freezing over. his issue was spawning on land with punt (in tile previously visited. versus my original issue on entering on land, ending in water, on a previously not visited area.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 04:47:05 PM by JP_Finn »

ineedcords

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 10:46:14 AM »
There's a zoom in bug when looking in the local spot during spring's thin ice.
The ice on the river was "not safe". River bend; river north, north-east and east of the spruce mire; while facing NE. Zoomed in an fell through the ice on entry. Luckily the spot was just 2 tiles / 4m / 12-13 feet in to the "wrong side".

BUG: zoom in to local map, enter on thin ice / water.
Expectation: enter on land, facing water.

The following morning, zooming out, the Wilderness Map waters showed as water, not ice. The Zoom In map showed the river shore still frozen.

Screen cap taken after felling slender trunks for fire. Oddly enough, the broken ice, frosted over during the time it took to cut the young spruce down and light it up.
I love how you took the time to light a fire & get to existential safety before you took a screenshot to report the bug  ;)
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 12:05:24 PM »
There are situations when the "autopilot" check assumes the ice is safe, lets you walk on it without asking you...  and you break in.
Indeed it is very unlikely, but in the end its all just about RNG and probabilities.

I learned that in the end of winter, when crossing open mire terrain.(zoomed in) The frozen patches are quite hard to distinct from the snow covered ground. Most of the time the character crosses them safely, the game never asks "if you are sure", but in one of 20 cases the ice breaks and you are freezing.
The ice was middle-thick(safe to cross for the "autopilot") and i had about 70 lmbs carrying with me(average middle-term journeying freight).

This occurs on threshold situations, where the ice is thick and you are heavy, or vice versa(thin ice and light character).
It wont happen when the ice is 1m thick and you crouch naked with a 40 lmb character.

What was the load you are carrying?
How long does it take to make a hole into the ice?
These are the measurements you could take to explain the case.
You said it was thin ice. Your character is not very heavy, or is he?

I assume the engine calculated a tile to be, say, 90% safe, and decided to put you there, but it was a threshold tile and you got bad luck.

However, this never happened to me when moving on zoomed out terrain. But i heard/read about that.

edit:
There is also another possible explanation: Your character was on the water tile with a boat before, zoomed out and travelled. The next time you enter the area on the overland map and you zoom in, the game remembers your last tile location and puts you there, regardless if you are on a boat or the ice is unsafe. This is a known issue for every water traveller
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 12:15:23 PM by Dr.Hossa »

PALU

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 01:33:34 PM »
The warning system takes character characteristics into consideration. If you take off your skis, load up on max carry weight, and try to enter an ice tile you may receive a warning, but if you use the skis and reduce the load you might not.
I've had the case where a character safely crossed the ice, chased and killed an elk, and then received a warning on the way back (loaded up to max carrying capacity). Shedding some of the weight caused the warning to go away, allowing my character to cross safely and carry the spoils in multiple trips. Note that if it's thawing, ice that was safe to cross an hour ago might not be any longer even if the character characteristics remain unchanged.

I haven't encountered breaking through without a warning, but I know it can happen. I keep my characters off ice unless I have tested it with max load or I have a very specific reason to risk it (such as recovering the carcass of a drowned elk), in which case I do what I can to minimize the risks.

Buoidda

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 01:48:32 PM »
I've fallen through ice just by zooming in on open mire surrounded by sea on two sides.

I got placed in the corner of the mire, where was only ice over (sea) water.

I haven't died of this (yet) but I'd surely be unhappy to drown when not even wanting to go on ice.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 05:39:40 PM »
The issue here is the placement when Zooming In. When facing water, the character gets placed towards the waters edge; if facing water on Wilderness map. Unlike entering Zoom In facing non-water, the character gets placed middle of the tile.

No watercraft (the river was frozen night before, with weak ice warnings), no skis.
Just Zoom In on to very thin ice due ingame mechanic/bug when facing water.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 05:43:46 PM »
@PALU , my toon was staying off ice. Spruce mire on Wilderness map. Enter in to water portion on the spruce mire, facing the river (which cuts pretty deep on the in-bend corner)

Brygun

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 03:54:31 PM »
Had a similiar problem with a ford. It was early icing where shores had a few tiles of ice but the center was water. On the wilderness map they appear as water for being passable.

Arriving at the ford and zooming in I was on a 2 tile land piece with that ice formed around it.

In this case I was able to bash drinking holes in a line to get the punt to shore. Being on way out the punt was empty so I could manage to carry the punt back to the nearby homestead.

anything