Topic: Seasoning thread  (Read 6153 times)

Buoidda

« on: December 17, 2020, 07:57:34 PM »
Fat for seasoning.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 08:12:10 PM by Buoidda »

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 08:01:25 PM »
Rephrase the subject to “Additional seasonings”, then include berries as well as roots.
there’s not much to add

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 09:02:40 AM »
Dried mushrooms as seasoning

Buoidda

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 12:34:11 PM »
@Dr.Hossa It's not a vanilla item is it? Though I'd like if it was... thumbs up anyway.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 02:03:47 PM »
No, dried mushrooms and berries are mod items (e.g. from the Njerpezit Cooking Mod). I wouldn't mind them as vanilla items that could be used for seasoning, though.

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 03:30:23 PM »
I would love to see them because it is highly authentic. Mankind always made use of dried mushrooms and it would greatly decrease the amount of spoiled ones in my cellar. Especially in case you arent sure if you want to eat them right away.

perhaps like that...: ::)
Spoiler: show
//PHIL'S STONE AGE
.Dried mushrooms.  (4)   *COOKERY*   /10/ \6d\  %30%    :151:  [patch]
{Mushrooms}   #0.5#     [remove]  [name:dried %s] [patchwise]
{Tying equipment} =1= '+to leave dem scurvy sponges high and dry!'
{[TILE:shelter]} 'Rainproof place'
[COOK_WEIGHT_DIV:20]
[WATER:0]
[SPOILAGE_DAYS:180]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 03:56:22 PM by Dr.Hossa »

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 08:04:33 AM »
Ah!
Now, can we use the dried mushrooms as seasoning AND/OR mushrooms at their full hydrated weights worth as mushrooms in recipes.

No. We can’t. But I think we should.
This is a quality of UnReal life improvement suggestion right here.  +1 x20  :o

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 08:13:00 AM »
@Dr.Hossa, I think I might use that recipe, with alteration of board, instead of tying equipment. I just don’t see the ‘stone-age’ chef stringing whole/sliced fungi to dry. Cut and lay down to shrivel... but how to enable the dried mushrooms as herbs. (Tag them as other plant such as hemp leaves? Then they wouldn’t work as mushrooms...)

But then. None of us were around when out distant ancestors were experimenting with mushrooms.

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 08:49:46 PM »
i wrote it since that is how mushrooms have been getting dried on many places all over the world.
I also layed them out on a table once, but that uses very much space. its convenient and practical to string them, since they can be stored that way and vermin cannot reach them. And there is much evidence on paleolithic science that people early began to find convenient and practical solutions.

But of course, nobody can know it fur sure. At least to me it seems authentic.
But i forgot the knife actually. It is mandatory to cut them up, otherwise they could spoil in the inside, if the pieces were too big

hmm... got no idea how to convert dried mushrooms into a seasoning...
or... perhaps add the possibility to powder them, and then you tag the mushroom powder as a herb.
In that case, dried mushrooms had the purpose of normal mushrooms(ignoring the rewatering, since that would go beyond the scope).
And the dried mushroom powder is only used as a seasoning. also authentic...

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 02:08:56 PM »
Fat for seasoning.

The seasoning mechanics could be checked indeed. To add more possibilities, but also to make it possible to decide how much of the selected ingredient to use. The fat I would add as its own optional ingredient in relevant recipes. We’re doing some cookery additions currently, so this all might happen in relatively near future.
- Sami | UnReal World creator