Topic: modding trees - tree painters needed  (Read 11137 times)

Buoidda

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 07:24:22 PM »
As colour palette goes, I used the original tree tiles and created palettes from it so it shouldn't be too far away from the original drawings anyway. Upon checkings the photos we might wanna use just tiny bit darker colours as in the photos the green looks quite dark in kotipihlaja results. It may as well be the pose and lighting but it wouldn't hurt to darken the colours just a little. We can make the tree very wide or narrow the main trunk and add trunks of similar width. It is a very lovely tree too how I did not see it before the red berries look awesome :o

Sounds good. I have to trust you on colours since I literally can't tell if those autumn rowans' leaves are green or red.  :-\ I see the berries as red though (because they are red enough). If you have the enthusiasm, we can still add flowering / berry carrying versions since the flora graphics do work with different stages of development/ripeness even if I can't add the berries together with the other harvestables. I don't think it's possible but I'm going to try anyway (berries+flowers/leaves).

Nonetheless it would make a very nice scenery change once trees start to blossom in various months. Immersion bonus quarkwarzimillion.  ;D

'Scientific name + blossom' search seems to show good flower/berry pictures of all the trees.

Buoidda

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2020, 08:29:13 PM »
Hey why didn't I remember this site, excellent pics of all the trees and interesting info too:

"Tree professor": Rowan
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 08:33:33 PM by Buoidda »

trowftd

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2020, 08:29:58 PM »
Sounds good. I have to trust you on colours since I literally can't tell if those autumn rowans' leaves are green or red.

Now that you wrote it I searched autumn rowan and their leaves look a lot more reddish than the pictures you posted. In searches the leaves look most definitely green. Should we also implement the autumn rowans reddish leaves?

Buoidda

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2020, 08:44:30 PM »
(First here's a flora template I made so I don't have to open the readme.txt so often.)

While it would be nice for all you normal-sighed people (bitterness intended) to be able to enjoy the famous 'ruska' or
'autumn colors' in Urw too, I can't name a stage in above template where it would work appropriately / according to season.   ;)

I wouldn't work too hard for the flowers/berries yet. I have to test it some more. At least the linden doesn't seem to stop flowering at all. Would be weird to find (also visually) flowering lindens rest of the year.

EDIT: Notice my professor post above.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 08:48:56 PM by Buoidda »

Buoidda

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2020, 09:41:18 PM »
Oh gawd, this just keeps growing as too sweet bread dough...

Testing, I just met black currant bushes near my willows. Honestly, if you didn't know anything about this game and someone asks "Where's the black currant bush in this picture?" What would you say?

Spoiler: Current currants • show

Bring me a shrubbery. (So now I'm looking for / wishing for / drawing a new willow graphic - shrubbery. F***)

Or I will say: "Ni!"

What the other graphic designers / artists here think of all this? @Galgana @Karmatose

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 09:55:02 PM by Buoidda »

trowftd

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2020, 02:43:43 PM »
Elm tree recoloured. The added trees on top of each other should look a lot more balanced.

Buoidda

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2020, 12:32:14 PM »
Thanks trowftd. I'm just posting here too that this work is complete for while at least. You can find our graphical fruits within my craft mod release in the profile link below.

I'm still interested in revamping the vanilla bushes among other things, but it is not very urgent atm since the major release is out. Graphics are easy to replace later and don't affect character compatibility. So feel free to bump this thread up if you feel the same about revamps.

Not many Monty Python fans here, is there?  ;D

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2020, 06:29:30 PM »
@Buoidda , you should mod some birds next, maybe a remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, ay? Beautiful plumage.

::)

Buoidda

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2020, 08:07:26 PM »
Pretty smooth. I'd rather be a lumberjack ;D

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2020, 10:36:45 PM »
Maybe just a rabbit. With sharp pointed teeth?  ;D