Topic: [3.63] EXPLOIT: anything inside birch-bark containers can be used in tanning  (Read 3112 times)

Buoidda

« on: November 26, 2020, 04:14:50 PM »
I was about to tan a soaked elk skin with newly obtained bark. But I mistakenly chose birch-bark box of 'coarse grains' instead and, to my surprise, worked as tanning material. I had to fill the now-empty box and try it again to make sure. By not starting tanning but pressing escape during the pause when all conditions are met. Consequently, the birch-bark box, which was emptied when selected for tanning, did not refill when canceling. I repeat: I did not start the process.

Rye flour (made into sour mixture) can be used for tanning IRL, so initially I thought there was some purpose to all this.

But then, another thing was that I had a bag full of these same grains. That bag of coarse grains could not be selected for tanning.

So now I suspect it was the "birch-bark box of ..." that allowed the grains to be chosen in the first place. I have to test this with putting, say, dried meat inside a birch-bark container and try tanning with that.

I shouldn't even be reporting this, because now I want to use rye flour in this fashion in the future...

EDIT: Confirmed. I just tanned a bear skin with 2.1 lbs of awful dried elk cut from a birch-bark basket. Pretty sour stuff :o
EDIT: And I see birch-bark strip works too, even though the proper (reddish brown, used in tanning) bark was left on the birch... The white papery stuff shouldn't tan anything. This is a language problem, actually. Since in Finnish (for example) the outer bark (white stuff) is called tuohi and the inner bark (brown stuff) is called parkki.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 10:06:44 PM by Buoidda »

Buoidda

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 09:39:58 PM »
Now complete with an educative picture for your viewing enjoyment. That Elfshot blog behind the picture link might be worth investigating. Primitive tech stuff.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 09:47:10 PM by Buoidda »

Frostbit

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 10:46:18 PM »
Finally, a practical use for bog flowers and sand mushrooms!  :D

Buoidda

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 07:01:19 AM »
I've been pondering on how to gracefully solve this problem (?), considering that the game uses string analyzing for item recognition.

Birch-bark strips could be added 'outer', but that would still leave containers and in those 'outer' wouldn't be nice at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanbark

After reading above, I came to following conclusion:

Leave the birch-bark things as they are (modders rejoice!) and edit sheets of alder bark to **alder tanbark etc.

Hey, one could also obtain birch tanbark once the outer bark has been stripped!

Edit tanning to accept only *fat, *tanbark, (***flour, ****lard, ****tallow [for modders, why not?])

**(I lost sheets in the process, because it isn't necessary (or even good) to have them in one piece for tanning. And considering (future?) willows, rowans or any small trees from which the tanbark comes usually in small strips and pieces. Also please consider allowing scraping tanbark all year, albeit more slowly (but definitely not birch outer bark).

*** flour would really need to be made into sour mixture first, possibly with (sour) milk. But so should tanbark be boiled to extract tanning agents.

****https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendering_(animal_products)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 01:18:51 PM by Buoidda »

anything