Topic: What's Going On In Your Unreal World?  (Read 213580 times)

Bert Preast

« Reply #195 on: December 18, 2022, 06:50:05 PM »
Karma in the Unreal World:

A bug duplicated my masterwork battleaxe.  I neglected to make a bug report as I had no idea how or when it had happened.

I just walked drunkenly into the water and dropped my stuff.  My masterwork battleaxe, gone forever due to a typo and a moment's inattention.  But karma had already given me a spare  8)

In another example of you reap what you sow:

I planted 8 peas a few months ago.  I have just harvested 8 peas  :-[

Bert Preast

« Reply #196 on: December 26, 2022, 11:57:04 PM »
I just raised an army of seven brave men and three dogs, and went to attack a Njerp camp.  Four sides of the camp were coniferous forest or thicket, so I decided on an assault from the heathland to the south.  Being lazy I went right up on the overland map then zoomed on an adjacent tile, then the bloody dogs started barking.  I had forgotten to feed them.

Surprise lost, ten Njerps came streaming through the trees at us.  My little army was bow heavy, as I had intended to sneak up and take them on in the open area of their camp.  The trees were riddled with arrows, and even a Njerp or two took some hits.  I was impressed with the new AI for bowmen, I didn't see any friendly fire from either my lads or the Njerps.  Mind, things were a little hectic to check so it might have happened.

I loosed off a few broadheads, dropping one Njerp and wounding another.  It was all too confused now, so I drew my battleaxe and launched into the fray.  I chopped one guy's arm off at the elbow then finished him, but one of his mates had got behind and absolutely ganked me with a spear in my back.  The lights went out; and when I came to some moments later I realised he had speared me in the throat while I was down, and I was bleeding out fast.  I let the dogs loose and managed to stop the bleeding as the fighting roared around me. 

I staggered up again and rallied the troops, finishing the last few Njerps.  I have named the camp Ilmari-Tommi, in honour of the two fine warriors who fell in its taking.  We built a fine pyre and cremated their remains.  The Njerps we shall leave for the crows.  My wounds are too grave to continue the campaign, I have dismissed the surviving men as I must return home to heal.  Let the Njerps know - I will return!   

s

Melchizedek

« Reply #197 on: December 31, 2022, 09:26:18 PM »
What's happening in my Unreal World?

Well, a curious social phenomenon has taken over local communities: a massive amount of sixteen-year-olds are trading their places in villages, farms and coastal settlements for a life in the wilds.

They seem to be driven by what's described as "a sudden call for adventure". The majority of these young hermits fails to survive the winter, unfortunately.

Sages are aghast.

Seriously, though, I just started playing, and I also just found these forums. Nice to meet everyone.

Bert Preast

« Reply #198 on: January 01, 2023, 04:41:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  The chat's racy but never oversteps the mark.

I did enjoy how with your first post you tried to change the name of one of the oldest and most revered threads on the board  ;D

Keep us updated as to how your adolescent hermits get on in the Unreal World.  We especially like hearing about fails  :)

Melchizedek

« Reply #199 on: January 02, 2023, 09:55:53 PM »
Ow, sorry about that! I skept a beat and changed it unwillingly, hehe.
I'll make sure to honor the thread next time, while coming up with something a bit more spectacular (hopefully). 

Thanks!

Felius

« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2023, 10:08:19 AM »
Currently, I'm, having a lot of trouble with a very first world problem: Been trying to finish my log cabin, but animals keep falling on my traps one after another. I have about half a dozen trap pits near-ish my intended home (in spots where I previously found an animal or tracks, instead of trying to hunt them down, put down a trap pit in some bottleneck. Occasionally bait with a meat cut or turnip to make it faster).

And now I can't find the time to actually do any logging and building, because of how many animals keep falling on the traps, sometimes multiple in a single week even. Currently I'm in the process of tanning a wolf fur, waiting on around some 700 elk cuts drying (just moved around the same number to the cellar too), and have two more live bull elks stuck on traps whom I'm letting be so I can keep up with it.

Thankfully I have enough clothing and firewood, because it's midwinter too, so when the day goes colder than usual, it really goes cold. But yeah, first world problems moment, really.  :P

Bert Preast

« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2023, 07:49:55 PM »
Following a fairly peaceful first two years in the URW, my Finn decided to spice things up a little and wreak genocide upon the Njerps.  This had been going splendidly, until the last camp I hit turned out to be filled with Njerp archers, who turned out to be rather good shots.  I took over 20 arrows, nine of which penetrated my armour.  I was 60% wounded and unable to move, with the last remaining Njerp (who was not having a good day either) at under 20 yards away.  We spent a hilarious ten minutes exchanging arrows, which we loosed off in all directions due to our wounds and fatigue.  Finally I got the bugger in the neck, and the job was done.  My hands were still shaking for a while after!

Now I can look forward to a couple of weeks making stakes and withes while I heal up.  Still, only three Njerp camps left to deal with, two of which are close to Reemi villages.  Hopefully I can recruit some likely lads from them to help me out with the battles.  I've never got this close to removing the Reds before, wish me luck!

Bert Preast

« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2023, 02:07:32 AM »
Assaulting what I hope is the last Njerp camp now...  Some of them seem to have sensed that this is their last hurrah, and by God they are going to die hard:

https://ibb.co/nsyC9Qd

« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 02:09:35 AM by Bert Preast »

Brygun

« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2023, 06:20:23 PM »
Decided yesterday to start into a unreal character blog again

https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6953.0

He managed his first 2 weeks and helped an adventurer get his axe back by NOT fighting a bear.

Now he is thinking of going back there to build a bear trap.  :P

Kouvostoliitto

« Reply #204 on: July 13, 2023, 10:34:31 PM »
Following a fairly peaceful first two years in the URW, my Finn decided to spice things up a little and wreak genocide upon the Njerps.  This had been going splendidly, until the last camp I hit turned out to be filled with Njerp archers, who turned out to be rather good shots.  I took over 20 arrows, nine of which penetrated my armour.  I was 60% wounded and unable to move, with the last remaining Njerp (who was not having a good day either) at under 20 yards away.  We spent a hilarious ten minutes exchanging arrows, which we loosed off in all directions due to our wounds and fatigue.  Finally I got the bugger in the neck, and the job was done.  My hands were still shaking for a while after!

Now I can look forward to a couple of weeks making stakes and withes while I heal up.  Still, only three Njerp camps left to deal with, two of which are close to Reemi villages.  Hopefully I can recruit some likely lads from them to help me out with the battles.  I've never got this close to removing the Reds before, wish me luck!
I destroyed almost all the Reemi villages, because I want to see if Njerp will come to live in the area, or what will happen. At least a few villages have been repopulated by vagabonds.

JP_Finn

« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2023, 12:44:21 AM »
Saw a badger shaped figure on small lake next to me on a way to cabin from trap lines.
Boy was I surprised to see dead badger and a squirrel running away once I took a look around...  :o

Spoiler: show
It was a rotting badger carcass and the squirrel just happened to be milling around!  ;D

JP_Finn

« Reply #206 on: August 29, 2023, 04:20:06 AM »
Tracking elk from early morning, across spruce mires, frozen lakes, heathland, more spruce mires... To finally find the elk bull. Trapped in the bear trap 1 tile from the cabin. At least it's easy hauling for drying the meat!  ::)

Pengu

« Reply #207 on: August 31, 2023, 11:30:33 AM »
Just had the game freeze and had to force it closed... the game erased two bulls and a cow that I had on leashes. RIP.

JP_Finn

« Reply #208 on: August 31, 2023, 04:37:37 PM »
Just had the game freeze and had to force it closed... the game erased two bulls and a cow that I had on leashes. RIP.

Follower/animal status often gets haywire on forced close.
I tend to make backups maybe 4-6 in-game months.

Does your character still hold empty leashes or were the animals tied to trees/fences?

Pengu

« Reply #209 on: August 31, 2023, 04:52:45 PM »

Follower/animal status often gets haywire on forced close.
I tend to make backups maybe 4-6 in-game months.

Does your character still hold empty leashes or were the animals tied to trees/fences?

Empty leashes. I can use them to leash another animal, but can't drop them ("its still in use")

I have a theory that the ZOOM files are involved somehow. One of the consequences of not following exactly the steps of exploiting the overworld files to refresh a village's stock includes missing animals. More specifically, if you delete the files while zoomed in, the game will remake them but will omit your animals. Restoring the original files will make the animals reappear.