UnReal World > Stories

Island challenge stories

(1/9) > >>

Buoidda:
Hi, I posted about an punitive island challenge in the general discussion: http://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5841.0.

Here we can share stories about it.

Writing prose is entirely optional, I'm more interested in how ppl fare.

Here's a little something from the character in that challenge thread.

X#X##X#X#X#X#X#X#

Ukko Driikiläinen was dumped on a remote island, completely nude and without any tools. Luckily the Njerpez had left him with pretty light injuries. Starvation hit, but was manageable with birds and hares from light traps. The traps dotted almost every corner of the medium sized island. He has also caught couple of pikes while warming up early in the mornings. While fishing, Ukko heard a seal splashing about and had still some rope for a heavy deadfall trap.

Unfortunately most lingonberries withered while he was building the heavy trap. Even the Tellervo's gift mushrooms spoiled that he had been sacrificing for Ahti in hopes of a catch. He had planned to collect an ample storage of bait for birds, but there had been too much work with the traps and birds. Ukko had also seen a badger lurking in the distance. He had been eagerly improving the setting of bigger deadfall traps on a bottleneck part of the island. But the clever thing never touched the traps, even when Ukko surprised it sniffing about just next to a big deadfall trap. Even the smaller trap seems to be too suspicious for it. "Picky thing, aren't you? Is the bird smelling too bad?", Ukko had shouted after the escaping badger.

But then, upon returning to camp, from atop the high cliffs, he could see an enormous bull elk who had blissfully swum to the island. Upon sight of Ukko, the poor beast ran itself to exhaustion along the beach, refusing to return to the icy waters again. Soon he met the blunt end of Ukko's bird-and-hare-leather-bound stone axe and the bull fell into oblivion from the very first blow to its hip. The second blow secured its passage. "This was a miracle. Maybe it had swum a long way and was already utterly exhausted. I wonder whether I should sacrifice to Tapio or Ahti. I know no stories about swimming elks." After couple of days toiling, 48 lbs of the unfortunate critter is drying. Ukko is laying patterns for his new outfit, wondering where all that elk meat went. It will feel good to wear something before winter brings it's worst weather.

paulkorotoon:
PROLOGUE
Hroarr regains consciousness when the sun is directly overhead. His whole body aches awfully. Damn njerpezit have beated him up badly. Seems they considered the damage serious enough not to finish him. Slavers stripped him naked, took away everything Hroarr had with him, and left him to die.

But he doesn't recognize the area... To find oneself in an unknown place with no garments, no weapon and no food, is almost a certain death.

Almost. This word is hopeful. Hroarr is afraid, yet a desire to survive is greater than fear.

Must find water. He decides to go east, and after two hundred steps the search succeeds. Except... there's too much water. Hroarr feels apprehensive, he hurriedly falls to his knees and takes a sip. It's bitterish. It's sea water. It's an island...

Yound warrior light a fire and finds a few apt rocks. On the second attempt, he crafts a fairly sharp and handy knife.

Hroarr cuts his palm and sheds a thin stream of blood on the ground. “Mother Earth, accept my sacrifice. Give me your help, oh spirits”, he whispers, eyes closed.

Naked man with a stone knife, against approaching winter and tremendous ocean. Who will win?

ATTEMPT 1

ADDITIONAL CHALLENGE TERMS

* Not using the world map.
* Zooming out to the wilderness map only when standing on top of a mountain.
STATS
Spoiler: show
SKILLS
SPELLS
INJURIES

DAY 1. 44% injured, 0% starving
Hroarr picks up some herbs for treating the wounds. Wanders along the shore until he finds a stony hill. The island is pretty big. No sign of inehmo. He notices a couple of birds flying nearby. Builds a shelter.

DAY 2. 39% injured, 1% starving
It takes the whole day to craft two crude javelins. May come in handy.

DAY 3. 30% injured, 4% starving
Hroarr gathers more herbs and sets a few light lever traps.

DAY 4. 24% injured, 6% starving
He spots a black grouse and even manages to approach close enough to throw the javelin, but misses it. Finds lingonberries and sacrifices a fistful. Tries to fish, no catch.

DAY 5. 16% injured, 8% starving
It's getting colder. He has to light a fire again and again, to warm himself. Finds a black grouse in the trap for the first time! Hroarr skins it and sacrifices the only cut of meat.

DAY 6. 10% injured, 13% starving
He sets a big deadfall trap in hope of a large game.

DAY 7. 6% injured, 16% starving
Exhausted, Hroarr sleeps for too long. Numb hands fail him as he's trying to make a fire, and he freezes to death...

Privateer:
 Challenger (Haastaja Islander)

Profile Stats:

Skills:

Spells:

Injuries:

Day4~8?: Not sure, Spending all my time pulling twigs, scouring for lg/med down trees, picking berries, Getting warm enough to try and javelin a fish for about 1.5 hrs before freezing stop.. rinse and repeat atm.
 Have stone knife, crude staff, crude javelin, couple torches. Been seeing a grouse for two days, I need to get warm/gather items for trap before to long.

Map: Found a clifftop

Day: I have no idea. I have 3 shelters now, One on the East coast, one (original) in the middle, and the final on the west coast.
Made 2 small traps and used lingonberries for bait. Making fire, finding wood and collecting berries are still in the forefront. The traps didn't do anything on the East coast, so I moved them to the West coast shelter. 3 birds so far from the new trap spot. Only one skin was viable, but the roasted fat was a nice refresher. Not dead yet.

Skills Update:

Ah well first attempt failed, I died stupidly. Pushed the cold limit trying to skin a grouse, instead if picking it up and taking it to a warmer place... 28 days

paulkorotoon:
ATTEMPT 2

ADDITIONAL CHALLENGE TERMS

* Cultural regions toggled off.
STATS
SKILLS
SPELLS
INJURIES

DAY 1. 38% injured, 0% starving
The island appears to be quite large. Hroarr spots a bear cub and realizes it's his chance. However, he losts a track. it takes the rest of the day to craft a javelin. Must calm down. it's unlikely to kill a bear being wounded so bad.

DAY 2. 33% injured, 0% starving
Hroarr notices a willow grouse. Need to set traps. But first he should gather some herbs and berries.

DAY 3. 28% injured, 0% starving
He builds a shelter and goes on gathering lingonberries.

DAY 4. 24% injured, 1% starving
Hroarr spots the bear cub again, and again it flees. He sets a couple of small deadfall traps nearby, asking the spirits for help.

DAY 5. 19% injured, 4% starving
The cold is too strong. Hroarr fails to light a fire and dies of frost.

Buoidda:
The many incarnations of Hroarr, fun read  ;D

X#X#X#X#X#X#X#X#X#X

Ukko has spent following weeks skinning and butchering small game from the traps and throwing rocks at squirrels. Even the hares that fail to wander to traps are half-blind on this island. He literally walked over to one and kicked it to death. Starvation started rising a bit just before the hoofed ones' meat was dry enough to preserve through the summer too. If only he'd know how to get more than one cut of meat from around ten pounds of fat bunny. But the insides of animals seem so - icky. Especially after pounding them to jelly with a rage only a starving man can muster.

The badger never returned, probably drowned during the warmer days. While looking for it, Ukko found a dead lynx some distance away from the shore, on the ice. He also almost drowned taking a shortcut. Probably the ice will be too thin for standing upright safely for a long while still. He sees the ice bridging to neighbouring, smaller islands. But he knows sea ice is too perilous to brave this time of the year.

Weather has been mild this winter, thank the gods or - who knows - his own dedication to daily sacrifice. After all, he'll be needing blessings to get off this island alive. There was a colder week, but now the fur gear has kept him warm during the nights without a fire. Many seals splash around the island. He made ropes from bird skins and has set up couple of shelters with heavy bear traps on sea shores where the currents keep the sea from freezing. When the seals are close, Ukko moves base to hopefully come to a catch later.

His diet is strong now even with hardly any fish caught. Already one seal skull decorates a lone pine tree near his shelter. The extra fat will enable him to tan the one cured squirrel hide. How he'd craved for fat to eat when starving. He ate the squirrel's fat earlier, without even realizing he was going to use it to tan a squirrel hide.

It will be a long wait for the waters to warm up. "Hopefully I don't really have to swim away from here." Ukko has made a raft, but soon decided the currents make it impossible to maneuver without a proper paddle. (The idiot doesn't realize he could paddle with his legs.) If only some passing trader boat would see his fires.

X#X#X#X#X#X#X#X#X#X

I'm tempted to try @Privateer's method of zeroing skills, wasn't aware of that. I'm pretty sure the traps have been spawning extra animals for Ukko (see the pile of bones in the picture). It would be interesting to see if trapping helps at all with 0 trapping skill.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version