Topic: Using water from containers on ground - eating and drinking from table  (Read 5655 times)

Buoidda

« on: October 15, 2020, 05:41:48 PM »
My char practically lives on a kota doorway tile next to a water tile, because it's so much less tedious to do all that drinking, tanning and whatnot when you don't have to think or look which container to pick up and choose. I imagine many do the same.

If the game would simply use water from containers on ground automatically (for example from largest first) or at least include the water containers on the ground on the inventory menu. This would be a *huge* interface improvement. Why are the tubs so small anyways?

Relating to this - it would be cool for table top contents to appear on the list menu when 'e'ating or 'q'uaffing. That way having a table in one's cottage would really be a lot of help as in real world as well.

I also noted the older suggestion about drinking from containers on draught animals. https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5552.0

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 09:14:33 PM »
Agree!
Even better, Sami is aware and he's intent to recode it. See reply from April on Reply Marathon:

On the cooking recipe requirement check, can you also add "pot available" as second item either in inventory or 'nearby' in the the valid recipes? Of course, only as long as the pot is empty.

“Pot available” as second item? I’m not sure if I get this right.
It would be convenient if ground items (nearby) could be always checked but their intenal handling is different from character’s inventory so we have mechanics limitation here. It’s an intention to overcome at some point, but don’t know when there’s time for that.

On similar note (I'm aware there's mod for it already), dried meat and fish has been used in cooking since ancient times. Is that something you think will be in vanilla at some point?

Yep, I’d like to feature dried meat/fish usage in recipes, and then also to get rid of dried meat/fish eating on their own (without soaking first, or then chewing slowly and carefully). Recipes can be suggested.

Third, is it viable to use water containers for Hideworking from ground/nearby similar to lakes, rivers, sea, swamps, bogs, marshes? Penalty goes up for smaller characters tanning bear and elk skins doubly for holding skin AND water container.

See the first reply. It’s internal mechanics limitation, hopefully to be dealt with at some point.

paulkorotoon

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 03:16:57 PM »
Why are the tubs so small anyways?
As a temporary solution, I use bags (imagining them made of leather and actually able to containt water, hehehe). My character's got ten, each holds 21lbs. One bag usually is in inventory, the rest is on the ground. It's pretty handy, and as soon as your hideworking skill gets higher than ~85, the penalty from carrying the bag is insignificant.

Relating to this - it would be cool for table top contents to appear on the list menu when 'e'ating or 'q'uaffing.
It would be great, in terms of roleplaying, if a table works the same way as a cellar. This would be a reason to actually eat at table, and a nice way to store cooked food.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:33:26 PM by paulkorotoon »
Biggest Russian UrW fan

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 02:40:13 AM »
Relating to this - it would be cool for table top contents to appear on the list menu when 'e'ating or 'q'uaffing.
It would be great, in terms of roleplaying, if a table works the same way as a cellar. This would be a reason to actually eat at table, and a nice way to store cooked food.

Ah, I'd prefer seeing eating at the table improve morale/spirits/mood. But that, that'd require massive rework of the nutrition/fatigue/vigour to include characters mood. e.g. eating a warm meal, sitting on a bench by table in a warm cabin: skyrocket one's spirits after toiling in the freezing dark winter's night... eat dried elk every day for months on end, see ones spirits and work performance plummet.

Food stored on table, if anything, should spoil faster than food on floor (heat rises, microbes and enzymes rot food faster when it's warm)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 12:09:48 PM »
If the game would simply use water from containers on ground automatically (for example from largest first) or at least include the water containers on the ground on the inventory menu. This would be a *huge* interface improvement. Why are the tubs so small anyways?

Relating to this - it would be cool for table top contents to appear on the list menu when 'e'ating or 'q'uaffing. That way having a table in one's cottage would really be a lot of help as in real world as well.

This sort of functionality, especially to use ground containers in various task, has been suggested and replied before. The ground items are handled differently within the game mechanics so including them to this-and-that is quite costly. We’ll seek ways to allow some easiness to ground item usage, when time allows.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything