Topic: Fish traps?  (Read 3906 times)

Vahvapito

« on: September 08, 2020, 10:13:46 AM »
Has anybody managed to mod some kind of fish trap?

I am trying to create something that could be made from twigs, branches and cord as a simple alternative to the net. This would be a kind of primitive "katiska" fish trap made from wood instead of chickenwire. https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katiska (page in finnish but you can see the classic heart shaped fish trap in the second image).

My current best effort is this:

.Basket fish trap. "Net" [effort:1] [phys:arms,hands] *FISHING* /200/ %-60% |-2|
{Branch} (30) [remove] [noquality]
{* withe} 'withe' (2) =4= [remove]
{Tying equipment} =10= [remove]
{Stone} '+for weight'  [remove] [noquality]
{Knife} <small knife>
[WEIGHT:15]
[PRICE:2]

As you can see it is simply a reskinned net, which can't be built beyond poor quality. Even then it is a bit too good for a simple fish trap.

At some point I would also like to build a stationary wooden fish trap, "liistekatiska." These are made in to shallow water by sticking long strips of wood to the bottom to create a fence that forms the trap. Like most fish traps, it's shaped so that the fish tend to swim in but take long time to find a way out. Because the trap is stationary. fish are then removed from the trap with a small net or a scoop. Right now I have no idea how to create that, however.

trowftd

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 11:33:49 AM »
Right now there is no way to block the water flow as far as I know. So your only way to mod right now is to reskin already existing game items(Modding is very easy this way but limited as you see).

Vahvapito

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 06:17:56 PM »
I would'nt necessarily need to redirect water flow to create a permanent fish trap. It would be like a net or a fish trap, but stationary building instead of an item. Kind of how most traps on land currently work. But I suppose it can't be done right now as fishing menu doesn't work with modding.

Here's one example of stationary fish trap built on shallow water. The shape is a bit funny, though, or maybe that's just my imagination :D

http://www.avoinmuseo.fi/kivikaudenkyla/kohde7.shtml

Anyway, would love to see more passive fishing options added to the game at some point, modded or base version. There is already lots of traps on land so might add them for fishing as well.

Erkka

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 06:25:16 PM »
Fishing improvements are planned for future versions.

In the meantime I'd guess the best you can do is to mod it the way you've already done. (or maybe even use boards in the recipe, to emulate a liistekatiska). Then just use your modded item the way you'd use a stationary fish trap.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 07:50:41 PM »
Here's one example of stationary fish trap built on shallow water. The shape is a bit funny, though, or maybe that's just my imagination :D

http://www.avoinmuseo.fi/kivikaudenkyla/kohde7.shtml

Double throat fish trap. I.e. when you’re staking those plank strips/split slender trunks in the cold water (as thawing and moving ice will destroy traps left in water over winter), you’d want to utilize both sides of the fence too.

Edit: Please feel free to add to the crawfish / fish trap suggestion.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:54:55 PM by JP_Finn »