Topic: Any way I can find the npc/ npc's body in wilderness?  (Read 4818 times)

skyleaf

« on: August 10, 2020, 02:11:18 PM »
I had recruited an adventurer long time ago, disbanded him near my settlement which is quite faraway (around 5km?) from his original village. Haven't seen him since then, he is not returned to the village and I have not notice any tracks might be related to him, neither on zoom in or zoom out map. It hasn't been a problem until I want to recruit another villager. None of them agree to go with me "until they saw the left adventurer again". I am clueless on his whereabouts but felt a little bit responsible for his missing, so I want to ask if anyone have any suggestion on how can I find this missing adventurer? or his body? It could be in-game method or other method (cheat?), I dont mind and thanks in advance.

甜汤

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 05:48:24 PM »
I had recruited an adventurer long time ago, disbanded him near my settlement which is quite faraway (around 5km?) from his original village. Haven't seen him since then, he is not returned to the village and I have not notice any tracks might be related to him, neither on zoom in or zoom out map. It hasn't been a problem until I want to recruit another villager. None of them agree to go with me "until they saw the left adventurer again". I am clueless on his whereabouts but felt a little bit responsible for his missing, so I want to ask if anyone have any suggestion on how can I find this missing adventurer? or his body? It could be in-game method or other method (cheat?), I dont mind and thanks in advance.

From my experience, he will return to the village by himself. I once hired a very powerful adventurer and gave him armor and weapons for a long-term adventure. Then he returned to the village, and after a few years, he still did not agree to my invitation to travel again.

Plotinus

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 07:28:23 PM »
If he has gotten into trouble you can try to follow the path he might have taken on the zoomed in map but it'd be pretty tedious: you can use tracking to follow his footsteps and also your knowledge of the location of the village, for example going east but veering north around each obstacle if it was mostly east but a little north.

If you run into a river it's worth looking if he tried to swim across and failed, that happens sometimes in previous versions (maybe it still does, I don't know)

skyleaf

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 02:21:56 AM »
From my experience, he will return to the village by himself. I once hired a very powerful adventurer and gave him armor and weapons for a long-term adventure. Then he returned to the village, and after a few years, he still did not agree to my invitation to travel again.
That's getting more and more worrying, he either get lost on his way home or became a dead body since half a in-game year passed already.

If he has gotten into trouble you can try to follow the path he might have taken on the zoomed in map but it'd be pretty tedious: you can use tracking to follow his footsteps and also your knowledge of the location of the village, for example going east but veering north around each obstacle if it was mostly east but a little north.

If you run into a river it's worth looking if he tried to swim across and failed, that happens sometimes in previous versions (maybe it still does, I don't know)

I don't think I can find any tracks after such a long time, but you remind me one thing that the day he left my settlement shall be still early winter and the ice may not be solid enough, so he might possibly get drown/ freezing to death if he trying to cross river. However there's no river on between my settlement to his village. Is it possibly that other dangers on the road got him into troubles?

Here's a rough map with marked dangers, I hope it helps.

XX[V]XXX <-His original village
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXX[N]X <-Njerpez War camp, I rarely saw any Njerpez movement in the region through, just saw once in the past two ingame year
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XOOOOX
XOOOOX  <- Large open/pine mires with occasional robbers presence, once I had beaten and robbed on the NW side on the mires by those bastards
XOOOOX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
~XXXXXX
~~[H]XXX <- My settlement, the X is simplified representation of any type of the forest/spruce mires/hill/mountains..etc.
~~XXXXX <- The ~ represent sea and water tiles near my settlement.

skyleaf

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 03:27:52 PM »
A quick update.
So I asked for suggestion in both official forum and reddit, despite quite a few upvotes & views in both forums, not many people drop some lines before they leave. I guess that means even experienced players don't have much solution.

And Arams, the missing Driikilais adventurer, still haven't return. It's Day 7th of 13th weeks before midwinter point in-game today, exactly a year after he went missing. I decided to search between settlement and the village, back and forth, until I can do it no more. Totally dumb but at least I tried.

Wish me and my crews luck, and leave some words if you have any ideas & solutions :)

BlankPaper

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 03:43:36 PM »
I've seen your post but I'm at a loss, really. I don't even know if you could use something like URWCharacterMenu to your advantage here. The only thing I can think of is to actually track him down with his footprints, but I see you've tried that and it was probably already too late by then. RIP adventurer, taken by the forest.

skyleaf

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 04:09:20 AM »
I wish I discover his missing earlier, but I was busy farming and hunting in spring and went sailing to the western coast, traveled the Northern region my whole summer. When I have time to visit the village again it was already fall. :'( Tried the URWCharacterMenu earlier in testing character, but none of its' function seems useful in this situation. At least the x-ray vision not work as I thought how it works. *Sigh* Let's hope for the best, perhaps he's not eaten by the forest, he's just enjoying his hermit life in wilderness.

PALU

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 08:26:28 AM »
A couple of years ago I had several cased of encountering former hirelings on the map months or years after they left. In those cases, I encountered the groups on the map (I think I saw them on the overland map and went to investigate). They were heading in the general direction of their home villages (they were recruited from a lot of different villages and had participated in robber busting expeditions).

As I recall, they were just out in the middle of a mire roughly along the line between my homestead and their villages.

Don't think this is helpful to actually help you to locate them, but it might provide some background, at least.
Also, don't dismiss hirelings when inside your homestead if it is blocked off with traps or similar obstacles, and they may have trouble realizing they can get through those (NPCs can negotiate such obstacles, but the path finding might not create such paths).

skyleaf

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 09:04:26 AM »
Another update.
This is Day 7 of 8th week before midwinter point, another year has passed since Armas went missing. A lot of efforts were spent during this year to find this missing adventurer, still can't found him but it is not entirely fruitless this year.

Early winter last year, I conducted a in-depth searching from my settlement to his village, using only zoom-in map to search for his trails around the area and searched a straight line between two places (Man, that's exhausting, 100+ tiles of zoom-in map walking is such a dumb idea, especially when most of the terrains are Spruce mires. No gonna try it again). The charming side of winter is creatures always left obvious trails on snow, however, Armas seems to be no longer in the area, no trails nor his body was found during the search.

After the fruitless search and the massacre (https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5762.0), I finally have some good news. Here I want to thank the helpful soul and powerful shaman @Teellox  who helped me to identify possible coordinates of Armas by communicating with the sprites (Thank you :D). According to the omen, Armas most likely located in the middle of the Seal-tribe territory. A Driikilaiset travel to the Seal-tribe territory! That is surely one of the most adventurous an adventurer would do. I spent months in the northern coast, travel along the seal-tribe land and did some crazy things with locals. The first time I ever ambushed a band of robbers! However, I never found any trails of Armas. Perhaps he wander to other places before I have a chance to catch up with him.

It's been many months later now since the last failing attempt of finding Armas. I started to doubt if I would ever see this adventurer again or does he even alive. However something inspiring just happened: I met Mikko in the wilderness! You might be confused, who's he? He's a Kaumolais adventurer and the most important thing is, I met him in the land of Kuikka-tribe. It's a really long way from the kaumo-land to where we met, I can't help but thinking if Armas is doing the same. Perhaps I should find some time, travel back to the northern coast again and see if I can find him this time. But I guess that's the story of the other time :P

anything