Topic: Rendered fat  (Read 5554 times)

Ara D.

« on: July 22, 2020, 04:19:39 PM »
Been messing about with seals. All that fat made me wish for a way to preserve it for a longer time in a usable form. Wondering about the historical accuracy of rendered fat or a similar process to have a
tanning agent on hand

Tom H

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 10:48:15 PM »
American indians made something called pemmican, made of various nuts, grains, berries, and animal fat. Supposed to last without refrigeration and I've heard it doesn't taste very good. It would be surprising if folks far north had not stumbled upon a similar recipe.

Ara D.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 04:52:38 PM »
Ya I can smoke or dry fat to eat I was thinking something more along the lines of some sort method keep the fat from spoiling but still usable to tan hides with. More like lard I guess

Teellox

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 07:59:51 AM »
Caethan's URW sufficiency mod has a recipe for rendering fat into tallow, which lasts forever.

If you don't want the whole mod, you can copy and paste the recipe from this file into your own cookery_glossary.txt.

BlankPaper

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 02:34:43 PM »
Isn't their mod deprecated? The last comment is a request for someone to fix it.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 05:55:38 PM »
Been messing about with seals. All that fat made me wish for a way to preserve it for a longer time in a usable form. Wondering about the historical accuracy of rendered fat or a similar process to have a
tanning agent on hand

If you're just into tanning agent that doesn't spoil then collecting birch-bark is the way to go. About preserving fat with some method I don't recall any historical mentions, but that doesn't mean there wasn't.
- Sami | UnReal World creator