Topic: Improvements to fire mechanics, changes to smoking mechanics  (Read 19205 times)

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2020, 05:48:00 PM »
Current version allows us to light up torch from ‘remnants of fire’* and the torch can be used for immediate relighting of more wood.
So I agree on easier/faster/guaranteed lighting of new firewood from (at least glowing) embers.

*Remnants of fire count as fire for all but automatic burning of new material.

Labtop 215

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2020, 07:02:09 AM »
- added: smoking requires continuous maintaining of fire

In the previous versions smoking succeeded if the room was heated once, and the process required no further maintenance. Now the heating must be maintained through the whole process.

Wait, are you saying that covering 400 stale chunks of meat with the thinnest layer of smoke from a tiny pile of twigs in my cabin fireplace, once, in 3 weeks is not enough to ensure that the meat is properly smoked?

princebunnyboy

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2020, 05:07:52 PM »
With the addition of embers would it be possible to find/trade for buckets to carry embers to allow easier fire making?  :) Like carrying a bucket of coals from a last fire as you trek through the winter could be life or death if you start getting hypothermia. It could be used to easier light torches, maybe save a quest giver about to die to cold out in the wilderness, or even light arrows on fire to light up the red shirts. >:D

I'm not sure if it is era-appropriate but if it is it'd be cool to have a metal coal bucket to carry around to help with survival. And I'm sure everyone here has died at least once from trying and failing to make a fire in winter.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:13:00 PM by princebunnyboy »

anything