Topic: Question about farming barley?  (Read 2524 times)

ColtonCameron

« on: June 05, 2020, 02:52:52 PM »
I'm trying my hand at farming and followed the instructions and planted several seeds per square in a smallish 4x8 area that's fenced in.Speed Test  Solitaire  essay writer

Initially there's a small greenish patch on the ground that seems to indicate sprouts. I'm planting in Late Swidden based on an understanding (perhaps incorrect!) that it makes sense to plant before seedtime since barley takes a long time to grow.

After a day or so the little green sprouty looking patches go away. Is the seed being eaten? Is this normal?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:39:16 AM by ColtonCameron »

ModernNorseman

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 04:40:39 PM »
Hi,

Yes this is completely normal. It's just as in indication as you are planting seeds, to mark where you have done it, and the seeds disappear again in a day or two. Give it some time, and you will see the plants sprouting :)

PALU

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 05:34:11 PM »
However, you should plant only once per tile. Each planting is of a fistful of seeds, and it replaces the results of the previous planting, so the only reason to plant the same tile over and over is to train the agriculture skill (apart from trying to repair the damage caused by animals eating your sprouted plants).

The game will tell you if it's too early to plant the particular kind of seed you're trying to plant. It will also block your attempt if the ground is frozen (even if the time is right).