Topic: No Finnish version?  (Read 5097 times)

Spade6179

« on: February 06, 2020, 01:20:25 AM »
Hello all! I'm a new player and I like learning languages. I was surprised that there has not been a Finnish-language release for this game on Steam. Am I missing an alternative release somewhere?

If it doesn't already exist, I think it would be really cool for there to be Finnish language option, or maybe even a Sámi language option. I understand that this is a small project and that it would be a lot to translate a game without slowing other developments, but I think it would add a lot to the immersion value by having to learn a foreign language as well, esp. for such a culturally-important game!

Kippis!

Plotinus

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 09:03:48 AM »
Ooh that would be fun. I don't know very much finnish but I enjoy the few words that i have picked up through the game, like metsä, taival, virta

ineedcords

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 11:32:43 PM »
Internationalization is a good idea.
There are solutions that provide global (free/paid) infrastructure so that translators can contribute, such as:
https://crowdin.com/
https://www.transifex.com/
and others.

While no small undertaking, I hope it does find a place in the TODO list.
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 01:54:51 PM »
Unfortunately the game isn't designed for easy translation. Much of the text is hardcoded and displayed sentences are compiled on the fly. These are real challenges.
If there was merely tons of texts that could be translated sentence by sentence - or word by word - without having to thing things such as "procedurally generated" grammar/meaningul sentences it wouldn't an issue. But the message compilation and output design in UnReal World, and in many text-abundant roguelikes, is so much different.

I haven't counted, but requests for localization easily exceed dozen languages. For the sake of importancy I'd also of course vote Finnish first. ;)

- Sami | UnReal World creator

Night

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 02:01:59 PM »
It would be cool if you added finnish voice-overs for the english-text when talking to NPC's. Would really add to the immersion.
#suggestions
URW Character Menu - Cheating menu by a player, for the players.
URW Character Designer - Design your characters sprite!

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 04:28:49 PM »
It would be cool if you added finnish voice-overs for the english-text when talking to NPC's. Would really add to the immersion.
#suggestions

Yes, some more finnish in a way or another would add some flavour. We've had spoken finnish before eg. in rituals and attack swear words.
Finnish voice acting additions would be fun to do, but to suit the different circumstances we'd need a little group voice actors and actresses.

Tom H

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 01:56:18 AM »
Do you think Schubert got the same questions about his UnFinnished Sonata? (hehehe)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 04:52:38 PM »
Do you think Schubert got the same questions about his UnFinnished Sonata? (hehehe)

We could also change the game title to UnFinnished World ;)

JP_Finn

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 05:27:58 AM »
Renaming some knives could be a start.
Most English speaking bushcrafting/outdoors/hunters know “puukko”
Renaming
Northern knife: leuku
broad knife: nylkypuukko

Others like small knife could’ve be simply “small puukko” or “askartelupuukko” (handcraft knife) or “näkerryspuukko” sort of translates to tinkering knife I.e. small tasks.
Hunting and fishing knives would be straight forward metsästys -ja kalastuspuukko.

Good luck getting newcomers to Unreal World get WTF they’re...

I do recall from 2.xyz that pawboard trap was actually käpälälauta.

Another thing that could be renamed with relatively low issues could be the lean-to ’shelter’ : laavu

anything