Topic: Domestic Reindeer Milking  (Read 4659 times)

Roheline

« on: March 23, 2020, 11:02:30 PM »
We can milk sheep and cows, why not reindeer?

Really just me being selfish and wanting more immersion for my northern tribe reindeer herding characters (including a fantasy of someday having a completely nomadic character who migrates and lives off the meat/milk/hides of their herd of reindeer).

From what I've read of the historic evidence of the practice, the milk yield isn't very large and the reindeer require some special handling, such as typing the female reindeer by her antlers with a rope or lasso, but I think it would be great to be able to do it and create traditional Sami-style cheeses!

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 06:59:24 AM »
Limited milk yield combined with narrow seasonal milk production. May-June until September-October. And only producing milk if calf is born.
Yes, it’d be nice to have the option to milk reindeer does/cows. But not highly productive. (neither for milk or coding time return??)

Ara D.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 01:50:23 PM »
No arguments about production complaints but no animals naturally give milk without a baby. Same goes for cows and sheep. Its just those have been bred/selected to produce much more milk than need for longer periods that are extended by the act of milking.

Sorry needed to Farmsplain for any city folk out there who thought milk came from cartons

Roheline

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 09:13:29 PM »
The real life need for offspring to produce lactation is apparent. However it's my understanding that animal reproduction is on the list of features to be added someday. Until we get that feature, the milking of any of our animals is a touch unrealistic, but can be RPed around as "the baby didn't survive the winter" or that it got sent to market in the autumn or something along those lines.

I guess adding animal reproduction is the higher priority, but when that day comes it would still be neat to be able to milk the reindeer and emulate a traditional nomadic lifestyle.

koteko

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 06:41:25 PM »
I think I've already proposed this in the past. It makes a lot of sense in my opinion. It's much better to see a Northern character with only reindeers instead of cows and sheep.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 01:55:16 AM »
In all honesty, the in-game encyclopedia states on reindeer; northern tribes have domesticated reindeer for their milk, and as draught animal.

princebunnyboy

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 02:48:40 AM »
The real life need for offspring to produce lactation is apparent. However it's my understanding that animal reproduction is on the list of features to be added someday. Until we get that feature, the milking of any of our animals is a touch unrealistic, but can be RPed around as "the baby didn't survive the winter" or that it got sent to market in the autumn or something along those lines.

I guess adding animal reproduction is the higher priority, but when that day comes it would still be neat to be able to milk the reindeer and emulate a traditional nomadic lifestyle.

I'm so excited for animal breeding as a feature and hopefully they will code genetics (basically big dog+ big dog= higher chance of big puppies) and (aggressive sow + aggressive boar = higher chance for aggressive piglets). Im sure with how wonderfully realistic this game is they will make sure that animals must have had a baby before you can milk her (also would open up having to make sure enough is left for her baby!). Or maybe even implementing some animals getting aggressive after having a baby.

This will also create so many more playstyles. Nomadic herder who breeds for their herd to be able to protect themselves but also provide good milk,  or a settler who breeds (and maybe sells to villagers!!) hunting/meat/ or war dogs. Or maybe I can destroy the Njerpz with my trained and bred war pigs! Hope its after NPC interactions since it seems that when you buy animals from a village they will sell them but always keep a male and female, so I hope they're laying the groundwork! But I love anything they flesh out  ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 02:52:33 AM by princebunnyboy »

anything