Topic: Noob Questions  (Read 3020 times)

blacklucas1

« on: May 28, 2020, 04:44:55 PM »
I have found a few issues and stuff I can't really do while playing (started playing 2 days ago) and I hope someone on this server might help me out.

1 - How do I take some of my clothing off? I know how to put them on (CTRL+W) but, for the life of me, I can't find out how to take them off

2 - Whenever I try to plant a fishing net it says the water isn't deep enough, but If i swim to deeper water I can't use the fishing net. What am I doing wrong?

3 - Do you go straight into building a cabin after you're settled? It takes so long to build that, if I don't start early, I'm afraid I might not finish it in time for winter

4 - Is it possible to survive indefinitely, if you manage to avoid dying from stupid events?

5 - Is agriculture essencial for long term surviving?

That's all, thanks in advance for the help.

JP_Finn

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 05:23:02 PM »
1) Shift W(to wear), Shift T (to take-off, unwield)
2) you’ll need a watercraft: raft (3 trunks, 10’ rope) or punt (have to trade it) and paddle; or cut a hole in the ice in winter. Or you might be able to set nets from an tiny island, deeper in to the waterway.
3) wandering around looking for good spot is option too. As long as you have few wall sections to support couple roof&floor sections, you’ll survive. Fireplace needs to be built on floor. You can also squat in villages, as long as you behave.
4) correct, old age deaths, ailments, weakening, et cetera are not implemented.
5) no, not necessary. You can easily trade excess meat, fish, furs, crafts to villages and buy produce from them. You can also omit farmed produce altogether and supplement meat and fish with bog beans, lake reed roots, wild nettle, mushrooms and so on.

And welcome!

And if you plan on fletching/making your own arrows, you should stockpile berries as bird trap bait. Can’t trade for feathers and picking up dropped feathers won’t last long.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 05:31:17 PM by JP_Finn »

PALU

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 07:40:20 PM »
3. Don't forget the humble shelter. It's probably possibly to live only using shelters and warm hides for sleeping.
4. True, but you'll likely have your characters die due to stupidity/bad luck eventually. My longest lasting character survived for about 10 years before stumbling into a very tough Njerp (in my fields) unprepared, made a couple of bad decisions, and that was it (it took a few turns, but once it starts to go south you know the end result).
5. UrW doesn't model nutrition to any extent, so you can live off cooked meat only without any ill effects.

ineedcords

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:15:42 PM »
I have found a few issues and stuff I can't really do while playing (started playing 2 days ago) and I hope someone on this server might help me out.

1 - How do I take some of my clothing off? I know how to put them on (CTRL+W) but, for the life of me, I can't find out how to take them off

2 - Whenever I try to plant a fishing net it says the water isn't deep enough, but If i swim to deeper water I can't use the fishing net. What am I doing wrong?

3 - Do you go straight into building a cabin after you're settled? It takes so long to build that, if I don't start early, I'm afraid I might not finish it in time for winter

4 - Is it possible to survive indefinitely, if you manage to avoid dying from stupid events?

5 - Is agriculture essencial for long term surviving?

That's all, thanks in advance for the help.
All your questions have been answered, I'll just add a suggestion: try and obtain masterwork quality axes before you start building anything.
Based on axe availability and your wealth generation speed, it will take a while.

Note that you're not in rush, even in the dead of winter, without a wooden building, you can still survive using a tiny shelter combined with furs (to sleep on - as they keep you warm at no cost, without requiring a constantly burning fire). You can always use nearest village's sauna to smoke meat or dry meat without having your own wooden building.
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

JP_Finn

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 09:11:47 PM »
For smoking meat and fish, the building used for it has to be complete. All walls and full roof. No cellar indoors.
And for drying, one can use walls, single section suffices, even shelter’s sides as a drying place. But drying is only available during cold season.

anything