Topic: Clothing: Wear and Tear and Protection  (Read 5169 times)

Edico

« on: February 27, 2020, 08:07:17 PM »
It seems with the more recent releases that clothes don't degrade fast enough when damaged in combat.  I haven't really had to repair any of my current characters clothing, aside from his shoes.  Birch bark shoes seem to fall apart pretty quick but other than that footwear doesn't seem to degrade fast either, but footwear still degrades faster than the rest of my current characters armor who engages in combat pretty often.  I suggest that this be bumped up a bit, particularly for linen/nettle items.  I also think the current situation opens up somewhat of an exploit-

Protection values of degraded items.  Right now, it appears that if an item has protection level of 2, it will maintain that protection level until it has degraded to 50% or less.  This means that stacking linen/wool/nettle can be done with significant weight reduction.  Items with protection value of 3 seem unaffected by degradation of less than 33%.  I don't think this is bad per se, but with clothes not degrading quickly you can just use up some of your clothes for bandages/cords and just have lighter versions with the same protection.  If clothes degraded faster then 1 or 2 hits in combat could significantly reduce the protections of your almost half worn clothes so this wouldn't really be viable.

Edit: Also should probably add a chance for clothes to degrade in quality when you repair. With masterwork fur/leather you can use for cords and get fine cords then just repair with normal leather.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:43:24 AM by Edico »

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 01:56:11 AM »
Edit: Also should probably add a chance for clothes to degrade in quality when you repair. With masterwork fur/leather you can use for cords and get fine cords then just repair with normal leather.
I actually can report trying that out, and the game actually is calculating it seemingly accurate. I think the amount of the used quality is just calculated and the outcome will resemble that. To clarify: i repeatedly cut bandages of my coat and repaired it with crude clothes. at the beginning it stayed decent, but after 4 or 5 repairs i think the coat suddenly became a rough one. I think one can get the point

did the same thing with a bear coat, which stayed a bear coat despite being repaired by elk fur, until (i think) the coat consisted of more than 50% elk and it became an elk coat, after 4 or 5 repairs 

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 04:06:38 PM »
It seems with the more recent releases that clothes don't degrade fast enough when damaged in combat.  I haven't really had to repair any of my current characters clothing, aside from his shoes.  Birch bark shoes seem to fall apart pretty quick but other than that footwear doesn't seem to degrade fast either, but footwear still degrades faster than the rest of my current characters armor who engages in combat pretty often.  I suggest that this be bumped up a bit, particularly for linen/nettle items. 

You would have to define better what is fast enough ie. how you see things having changed lately. And what kind of and what quality clothes, and what kind of injuries you’ve experienced. This feels more like an individual hunch, and we’d really have to examine the character’s conditions in detail to come up with any concrete conclusion. What has been done in recent releases to armour/cloth degrade, is this in version 3.60 and I still find it working in intended fashion.

Code: [Select]
- tweaked: armour and cloth quality having greater impact on their durability

As a rule of thumb high quality items are more durable, and low quality items wear out faster
         in use. This is already seen with wear out rate of eg. weapons and tools. Now the quality based
         durability is extended to cover all the armous and clothes. You can expect rough armours
         to wear out faster in combat, and fine shoes to last longer on your journeys, and so on.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything