Topic: programming language?  (Read 3445 times)

Kararas

« on: January 06, 2020, 04:01:04 PM »
Hi! I am a beginner programmer and I’m interested in what programming language the Unreal world works in. Also my question is, would you switch to another programming language, for more features or not?

Erkka

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 05:37:12 PM »
Hello, and thanks for your question!

The UnReal World is written in C and C++
I'm afraid that switching to another language would mean practically re-writing all of the code by hand, which would be an enormously time-consuming task. Also, we have been rather happy with C and C++ so there hardly is any reason to consider other languages.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

ineedcords

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 11:12:37 PM »
Hello, and thanks for your question!

The UnReal World is written in C and C++
I'm afraid that switching to another language would mean practically re-writing all of the code by hand, which would be an enormously time-consuming task. Also, we have been rather happy with C and C++ so there hardly is any reason to consider other languages.
Hmm reading news.txt (or oldnews.txt) I thought it was 100% C. Any rough ratio on C vs C++?
I am also interested to know which parts are C++ if you don't mind.

Finally, I am curious whether there are any long term (another 30 years+) plans to ensure continuity as after 30 years this project is more or less heritage-class artefact. Long live the devs BTW. You indeed did create a masterpiece.
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

anything