Topic: [Not a bug] I could not find my raft and thought it had despawned  (Read 8555 times)

Dynggyldai

« on: November 27, 2019, 02:37:08 PM »
Greetings, fellow tribesmen!

So I made a raft after a longish adventure to get the necessary ropes, paddled it to the other side of the rapids, and landed. I think I loaded about 3-5 tree trunks (big and slender), some stones, and a sesta on it, maybe a few more items too, but not very much. After going away a few zoomed-in tiles to gather stones, and then returning, the raft disappeared with all its load.
I did not zoom out during the stone and trunk gathering trip, but there was a loading screen, so I guess I went to another zoomed-out tile in the process. After not finding the raft, I zoomed out and walked around a little (1-2 zoomed-out tiles), and the raft did not show up on the zoomed-out map. Zoomed in again, the raft was still not on the shore. That and the raft not showing up on the zoomed-out map makes me think it despawned, not teleported.
I am pretty new to this game, this is the character I made the most progress with, so I would really like to get back my raft and its load, or at the very least the 3 ropes it required.

I see that Sami tends to inspect the related save files, so I am sending a link to them. If Sami (or maybe someone else) manages to recover my raft, as soon as I git gud at the game I will help the cause of this game by uploading a proper let's play (probably a series, where I would show in-depth hunting, combat, etc. and attempt to pronounce the Finnish words properly, as my native language is considered Finno-Ugric too) to Youtube, as most of the let's plays I have seen are either outdated, inaccurate, surface-scraping, made by very new players who do not know what they are doing, or just bad quality (for example, one let's player said "all the names are in Swedish Nordic").

The link to the compressed save folder: https://mega.nz/#!DSJkiSTZ!piiUWNAQL4uciVZT6tTptcuQ-ukf2gOYIeTLesBGVaQ
The message log entry mentioning my last raft landing is the following: (3C5A98):87ge:[:]{082304B0}      | You go on shore.
The link to the picture outlining my most probable landing location (I don't remember exacly, but I do remember approximately): https://mega.nz/#!mfA0Ba7J!azuowXMWursY1gJu4w7fZ14rHZoQ8YBniXKDZRyZvaw
Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 01:56:28 PM by Dynggyldai »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 04:47:00 PM »
Greetings, and welcome aboard!

You've got a good report here, with the saves and essential information neatly available.
Luckily, there was no bug in question - you've been just searching the raft from wrong location. It's lies nearby in the north.
So, just stay on zoomed-in level, and walk the shoreline to north. You will find your raft there quite soon.

Feel free to make that Let's Play video anyway ;)
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Dynggyldai

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 02:05:10 PM »

You've got a good report here, with the saves and essential information neatly available.
Luckily, there was no bug in question - you've been just searching the raft from wrong location. It's lies nearby in the north.
So, just stay on zoomed-in level, and walk the shoreline to north. You will find your raft there quite soon.

Thank you for your help!
How did you find the raft? Through its hex or did you just walk around? If I knew how tiles are identified, then maybe I could have found the raft without bothering you.
Anyway, I hope I won't make such dumb mistakes anymore, and the let's play should be underway in two months at most, hopefully much less.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 01:13:47 PM »

Thank you for your help!
How did you find the raft? Through its hex or did you just walk around? If I knew how tiles are identified, then maybe I could have found the raft without bothering you.
Anyway, I hope I won't make such dumb mistakes anymore, and the let's play should be underway in two months at most, hopefully much less.

As I can work with the code I naturally have all the magic one can imagine, but here I checked out the last "you go on shore." coordinates and found the raft there.
Happy to have solved this. It's something hard to draw a line between bugs and mistakes/confusions, and that's just natural.

Dynggyldai

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 02:30:28 PM »

Thank you for your help!

As I can work with the code I naturally have all the magic one can imagine, but here I checked out the last "you go on shore." coordinates and found the raft there.
Happy to have solved this. It's something hard to draw a line between bugs and mistakes/confusions, and that's just natural.

How can one find a tile by the coordinate numbers?

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 06:01:04 PM »

Thank you for your help!

How can one find a tile by the coordinate numbers?

It's a developer thing.

Plotinus

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 01:55:33 PM »
If you look in msglog.txt, which is in your character directory, you can look for the last instance of "You go on shore". For my character it looks like: (3C5A98):t7g1:[:]{07CB0730}      | You go on shore.

The numbers inside the curly braces tell you where you are. The 07CB means how far east I am and the 0730 means how far south I am. Compare these coordinates to the very last line, which will show where you are now [or where you were the last time a message was generated. use 'l'ook command to generate one if needed. You can try walking around a little on the overland map and comparing the numbers to see how they change, whether you're going in the right direction or not, whether you've gone too far.

The numbers are in hexadecimal so if I go farther east of 07CB then I'll reach 07CC, 07CD, 07CE, 07CF, 07D0, 07D1, etc. If I go west then i'll go to 07CB, 07CA, 07C9...

These numbers are for the overland map though. If you're travelling on the zoomed in map because you're looking for your raft then it takes 64 steps to go from the beginning of one tile to the beginning of the next tile.

PALU

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 05:31:16 PM »
:
These numbers are for the overland map though. If you're travelling on the zoomed in map because you're looking for your raft then it takes 64 steps to go from the beginning of one tile to the beginning of the next tile.

No. A world tile is 100 meters * 100 meters = 50 * 50 tiles, so it's 50 steps.

Plotinus

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 11:01:47 PM »
:

No. A world tile is 100 meters * 100 meters = 50 * 50 tiles, so it's 50 steps.
Find a tile that is surrounded by two tiles of a differnet type, like a settlement, with bushes on either side, or a road with forest on either side, or a heathland with coniferous forest on either side. It doesn't matter what type, just so long as you can definitely determine the edge of it. Walk to one edge of it, to the moment when it now says you're in the different tile type. Now that you've found the edge, turn around and walk to the other side, counting your steps. You'll get 64.

PALU

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 12:33:49 AM »
I will check that when I've rolled a new character, which probably will happen next year, so don't expect any feedback any time soon...

Night

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 09:16:58 AM »
1x1 overworld tile = 64x64 localmap tiles. Confirmed with cheat engine addresses.
URW Character Menu - Cheating menu by a player, for the players.
URW Character Designer - Design your characters sprite!

Dynggyldai

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 09:33:06 AM »
If you look in msglog.txt, which is in your character directory, you can look for the last instance of "You go on shore". For my character it looks like: (3C5A98):t7g1:[:]{07CB0730}      | You go on shore.

The numbers inside the curly braces tell you where you are. The 07CB means how far east I am and the 0730 means how far south I am. Compare these coordinates to the very last line, which will show where you are now [or where you were the last time a message was generated. use 'l'ook command to generate one if needed. You can try walking around a little on the overland map and comparing the numbers to see how they change, whether you're going in the right direction or not, whether you've gone too far.

The numbers are in hexadecimal so if I go farther east of 07CB then I'll reach 07CC, 07CD, 07CE, 07CF, 07D0, 07D1, etc. If I go west then i'll go to 07CB, 07CA, 07C9...

Will try, thanks tribesman!