Topic: Can I buy the game without steam?  (Read 5277 times)

amanitas

« on: November 11, 2019, 05:58:26 PM »
Hello, so I remember that in the past when you donated you would become owner of the future versions as well. Is there any way to buy the game now that doesn't include steam? I don't want to download it because of one game. Maybe if I send you 11 euro as a donation? Or is it not possible to become lifetime supporter anymore?

Cheers

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 06:13:04 PM »
Yes, we had an option of "Lifetime Membership" which was obtained by donation equal to 35 USD (or more). The option is not actively promoted anymore, but it's still possible if somebody wishes to go for it. You can e-mail personally for more details, or I can also explain everything you may need to know here.

Steam version - for 11 USD - is not lifetime membership deal although we've been trucking there for the same single purchase for four years and dozen of releases already.

I should also mention that Steam client is not needed to run the game, but it helps to have smooth automatic updates. Also, even if you had downloaded Steam client you don't have to be connected to Steam when playing UnReal World.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:39:55 PM by Sami »
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 10:07:43 PM »
Didn't there used to be an option available? Something about Fine Winter squirrel furs?

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 08:55:02 AM »
Didn't there used to be an option available? Something about Fine Winter squirrel furs?

Yep, as explained above..but..umm...Fine Winter squirrel furs?

Tinker

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 10:41:14 AM »
I have also been seriously considering buying urw, there are a couple of things that hold me back.

The first is I have not actually bought any software for about 18 years, I usually stick with FOSS as the projects develop better with a team of occasional contributers and I feel more comfortable if I can add code, graphics or whatever.

Another thing holding me back is steam, basically I do not trust any faceless multinational corporation with my data, it also seams that to use the steam version on linux I must also install and run their OS, that is never going to happen.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 12:01:04 PM »
I have also been seriously considering buying urw, there are a couple of things that hold me back.

The first is I have not actually bought any software for about 18 years, I usually stick with FOSS as the projects develop better with a team of occasional contributers and I feel more comfortable if I can add code, graphics or whatever.

Yep. Everyone has their reasons to support on not to support. We did lead donation-based development for some years, but it failed. But...

Another thing holding me back is steam, basically I do not trust any faceless multinational corporation with my data, it also seams that to use the steam version on linux I must also install and run their OS, that is never going to happen.

Steam client is needed to first download and install the game on your computer, but that's just a client front-end. SteamOS is their Debian based OS, but it's not needed and I (also) can't understand why it even has to exist. Steam client can be removed after the game is on your harddisk, and you can then play it without any connection, or any software depency, in regards to Steam.
I'm not a fan of faceless corporations either, although both PayPal and Valve can be considered to fit the description.

anything