Topic: Spoiler: Forest Maid Question  (Read 5044 times)

caius

« on: February 26, 2018, 08:10:06 PM »
The following contains spoilers...
Spoiler: show

OK, I've collected the information about forest maids and camped at a great spot and sure enough, a forest maid appeared.  I didn't say anything or move (the quest suggests this) and she invited me to chase her and I dropped everything and ran.  As I chased her, she got trapped into a cul-de-sac of spruces with no way out.  I stayed at the mouth and watched her.  She moved back and forth in the trapped space and didn't seem to do anything.  So I moved next to her and tried the following:
  • I tried to walk into her - nothing happened, something about a forest maid blocks the path
  • I tired to pick up an object from her location - nothing
  • I tried to talk to her and a message popped up about how I annoyed her
So, I tired to move further into the trapped space and she disappeared.  I turned around and she had somehow gotten past me out of the trapped area.  I then couldn't find her.

How do you actually catch a forest maid?  Are you supposed to?  Is the point of the quest to keep attracting her and chasing her as she runs away?  I don't get what I'm supposed to do.

PALU

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:10:58 PM »
I've never caught any, and I don't think you're supposed to catch her. She can say several things, and I don't know if they boil down to the same thing or if some of them are red herrings.

She can provide you with a gift. One conversation suggests as much, and it may be that some, but not all, follow alternatives may result in a gift lying around, so you should search the immediate vicinity for something on the ground.

caius

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 02:50:09 PM »
For completeness, here is the follow-up...

I searched around the area where the maid disappeared and couldn't find anything.  Maybe because I tried to talk to her?

I then went back to the original quest giver and he gave some more information and told me about the maid dropping items and I shouldn't tell anyone the specifics if she did give something.  The quest then was marked as complete. 

I then tried a few more days to attract a forest maid, but none showed.

Has anyone had a forest maid appear without the active quest?  If I try to attract her in the future (spring/fall?), could she appear?

PALU

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »
You only get the quest once. After that you have met her...
I have attracted her multiple times. Most attempts have been unsuccessful, but several have coaxed her into appearing. I don't remember if I've gotten one or more than one gift, though I certainly haven't gotten one each time.

Custergrant

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 01:28:16 AM »
PALU - So is it possible to receive a gift more than once? I have successfully summoned the forest maid numerous times since handing in the quest, but have never found another gift after the first one.

PALU

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 09:07:35 AM »
I'm not sure if you can receive multiple gifts, and when I've received gifts it hasn't been on the first attempt. My current character has attracted her several times, but never received any gift.
I believe the words she use when talking to you indicates whether it's just play or if there's a gift somewhere.

Custergrant

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 07:02:19 PM »
Thanks. I haven't encountered the same message I received when I initially received a gift. I've tried about 20 or so times in that same location.