Topic: Any Buoidda's Lake Ore references  (Read 5432 times)

Brygun

« on: December 17, 2018, 03:57:40 AM »
My current Novrus play through is using Buoidd'a mod.

Getting iron as bog ore is well documented and back in the day I recall myself posting some video links.

Lake ore though as puzzled me.

Does anyone have/seen references to getting ore lumps from lakes?

The bog ore process we know comes from iron rich high ground (mountains... and I am adding cliffs) drain into a mire. There organic (is bacteria etc) actions pull the iron out into lumps. You can find the lumps which we call bog ore. Bog ore is harvested IIRC once per generation and the next generation can check the same bog again.

Lakes as bodies of water would have had thousands of years of water flow going down but I don't know whether the iron forming by bacteria would happen.

Perhaps the lake ore are large rocks with iron that fell into the lake?

I say Nydxz decided to remove lake ore from his mod variant.

Real Finland is AFAIK rich in iron. They may have had ways of getting iron other than bog ore. Bog ore as worked well in the Unreal World as there is a travel and danger to going out there. Could they have lakes with ore to be scooped up?

As they say...

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
(Though it certainly does imply)

Any references to "lake ore" would be appreciated.

Brygun

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 05:39:45 PM »
Did find talk about banded rocks containing iron. This being a type of sedimentary rock.

https://geology.com/rocks/iron-ore.shtml

for reference wikipedia on iron ore
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_ore

Brygun

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 08:45:23 PM »
Well I'll be dipped, Lake Ore is a thing.

Yes, the pun was intended.

from
Iron ores and iron works in Finland, 1809–1884

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/03585522.1953.10409903

"The mining of iron ore continued to decline. By the 1870's slightly over I % of
the ore used in the production of pig iron came from Finnish mines. At most of
these all that remained of earlier endeavours were empty and derelict pits. Yet
only a quarter of the industry was dependent on imported raw material. During
the worst days of the iron ore shortage, increasing attention was paid to the
deposits of lake ores: lumps of ore which had been formed in the bottom mud of the lakes and which, in the opinion of some eager prospectors, were renewed like a felled forest. But these treasures could be found only in the remote districts of
the water-sheds in the neighbourhood of Suomenselka, in the outlying areas of
Savo, in the border regions of Carelia, and in Kainuu. The ancient iron processing
techniques of the peasants had never been completely forgotten and many
primitive bloomeries were erected in Eastern Finland as late as the 1830's and
1840's; after 1835 they enjoyed substantial tax reductions. The bar iron produced
thereby contained some phosphorus, though a lower percentage than that in the
pig iron made in the blast furnaces from the lake ores. Hence it was suitable for
forging. The bar iron found a market in St. Petersburg, and in the period after
the middle of the century a great many bloomeries were enlarged into ironworks
producing wrought iron. In the early 1850's the amount of lake and bog ores lifted exceeded that of rock ores mined; in the 1870's it totalled some 300,000
skeppund (I skeppund = 400 lbs.). By way of comparison it might be mentioned
that under the pace treaty of Hamina, Sweden guaranteed to Finland a quota of
less than 24,000 skeppund. For the first time the Finnish iron industry enjoyed
prosperity - however short-lived"

While the article is a much later period it does mean "lake ore" isn't a fanciful creation. Ir does refer to lake ore a a historical activity.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:51:40 PM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:03:01 PM »
Some other links related to Finland ores

http://en.gtk.fi/informationservices/mineralproduction/

Swedish mine with huge ore body
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiruna_Mine

Brygun

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 09:33:33 PM »
Another publication.

LAKE ORES AND IRON INDUSTRY IN FINLAND DURING THE PERIOD 1811-1916

https://studylib.net/doc/8231999/lake-ores-and-iron-industry-in-finland-during-the

This one is under a share-wall I don't have a paper to share for but i'll see if I can find some useful quotations. It does again confirm that, boggle my mind, Lake Ore is a real thing.

"In the 1850's puddling became widely known. It was an epoch-making turn in manufacturing malleable iron and changed the use of lake and bog ores. "

"Lake ore is  found in shallowish lake shores, at the depth of 1 - 3 m, it is yellow, brown or blackish, with porous or brittle texture (Aarnio 1915). It is shaped round and flat, or bean-shaped bits, or as wider plates, and accordingly, lake iron is called bean, coin, or cake ore respectively.  The bean ore was considered the best, and the cake ore the worst, because the latter was difficult to raise, as well as generally poorer in quality. Bog iron occurs as lumps and cakes in bogs and narrow streams normally beneath a 15 - 60 cm thick layer of soil. The iron content of lake ore varies considerably reaching as much as 46 % Fe at its best (Aarnio 1917). The mineralogical and chemical composition, structural types and their origins of ferromanganese lake ores in some Finnish lakes have recently been discussed by Halbach (1976) among others.”

“Comparing the consumption of lake and bog ore with that of mined ore, the peak period of the former was in 1861 - 1877 with 75.8 % of the total of iron ore consumed then."

“During the period 1941 - 1959, 21 lake ore claims were still made with the objective of investigating the manganese potential of the lakes south of Iisalmi. In this respect, the company Oy Vuoksenniska Ab hoisted a total of 8 860 tonnes of lake ore during 1944 - 1947 with the average content of 29.0 % Fe and 14.0 % Mn from the lakes Kirmajärvi, Nerkkoonjärvi, Onkivesi, and Porovesi."

"In the 19th century, hoisting lake ore was more economical than mining iron ore. Although the iron content of the lake and bog ore hoisted almost equaled that of the mined ore, utilization of lake and bog ore encountered difficulties due to the large quantities of harmful constituents, especially phosphorus. On the other hand, the use of mined iron ore was also sometimes difficult due to sulphur and occasionally titanium."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:50:16 PM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 10:50:59 PM »
Quotes from the paper now included in the post above :)