Topic: [Brygun] Journal of Novrus  (Read 56831 times)

Brygun

« on: November 19, 2018, 09:05:33 PM »
Greetings fellow Worlders.

First a thank you to Saami and Erkka for the game. I've decided to inspire writing practice by journal writing another Unreal World play through.

The first couple of posts will be reserved for overall information then the journal will start. If you want to get to the story skip down a few posts.

Update:
To those joining or already reading I enjoy the occasional comment from the readers. It is okay to post them in this thread.

Edit:
Links to my other stories:

Calle
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6953.0

Tuukka
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6082.0

Kylpymies
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6076.0

Pekka
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6016.0

Iltros
The island challenge
http://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6007.0

Cornan
An adventure to emulate Conan
http://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5461.0

Novrus
A long adventure establishing a first winter house
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=4640.0

« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 05:59:45 PM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 09:06:54 PM »
Computer related matters such as saves and mods.

You will see some <save filename> at time. Mostly I do this to avoid bugs, wierd crashes and to make sure there is a sync between the journal and the game play. If you disagree with this then when you think Norvus died you can stop reading. My goal after all is to do the writing practice. Though it is possible Norvus will have what I consider a fair death.

There are a few mods in play related to self sufficiency, iron working and my own added items. These I had set up from months/year back so don't recall of which is in. I may switch mods part way along. To start with Im using those already installed which has Boudica in the filenames. Plus Im pretty sure Endive's is there. My own Brygun's added items is of course there though I have not yet updated it for various options we now have in the newer game versions. Privateer's fish cuts has been added in.

Brygun

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 09:17:01 PM »
Character creation

I wasn't initially planning on making a public journal so I didn't screenshot him right at the start. I did make a backup of his start so might at some point to dig that up. His starting gear is actually listed in the journal.

Norvus is a Reemi.
He was rerolled a few times to have decent stats. I prefer someone at least average in intelligence, endurance and agility. He did come out to a rather big fellow but that wasn't a reroll goal. It was good to see that he had 2 stars for learning most skills. It can be a rough go for the long quest I've planned without it.

For skill choices there was timber work, carpentry, hideworking and archery. Possibly the fifth was fishing or another weapon skill. That is likely whey he started with an axe and a bow.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:33:12 PM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 09:23:56 PM »
Life quest:

Norvus is saddled with the life quest that I like to call "The Smith of the North". This was done with earlier characters before Game of Thrones was a thing.

The goal is to travel to where the big lake connects to the southern coast, travel north and somewhere in the wilds start a stead. You can trade, later gift, iron goods to the northern tribes. Also there is the Kaumo to the south. Nerjpez are to the south east so you will have dangers and opportunities with them.

For the starting situation Norvus was given the "abandoned camp". This was to signify a few gifts and preparations for his long duration quest.

For the quest the "Advanced Adventures" was chosen. The basics of game is familiar to me and I don't want him to suddenly have the extra gear it provides to learn those game mechanics.

Brygun

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 09:25:41 PM »
Reserved post for anything else. Journal begins in the next post.

Brygun

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:26:02 PM »
Norvus awakes with snow fluttering down. A single fist full of clayweed leaves being the only goods left at the hunting lean to. He had hoped there would be more but what was left was always said to be for those that had needed. Someone else must have needed it in the winter.

Moving in the thick carpet of slow was tiring. He didn’t have skis, not yet. The snow drifts bloomed in eruptions as his thighs pushed forward.

Two felled trees and a stack of firewood attested that at least the other visitor had done some labor in exchange. At least that is what Norvus hoped. His other thought was some brigand had taken all they could and left the leaves more by neglect.

At least he was fairly equipped. His belt held a broad knife, good for skinning, a wrap for a quiver holding ten arrows and another wrap with his shortbow. It was lighter to carry though it was more he couldn’t have afforded a larger one. Not yet anyway. There was also his woodsman’s axe which surely would see much work in the year ahead. A spear was always useful. He didn’t have a shield as he was heading to live not war.

He rubs his cooling hands together. A blow of breath to give them warmth. Mittens or gloves would needed before the next winter. For now his family’s gift of a fur overcoat hung over him nicely. That on top of his fur shirt, nettle cloth trousers and a pair of fine boots. The latter a trade from a merchant who wanted the furs he and his brothers had collected over the winter. There had been enough fur left for his sister to make a fur cap that now warmed his ears.

His food pouch held just a few days of food. A loaf of bread, two cuts of meat and now the clayweed leaves. Clayweed was edible at least. It lacked other medical properties. He frowns then chuckles. There was another use for the leaves.

Kneeling in the snow he arranged the leaves before him.

His soft voice spoke, “Forest here is yours returned in the cycle of life. Together let us journey through life.”

His heart felt at ease. If the spirits were in harmony with him then indeed those few leaves were the greatest gift that could have been left at the shelter.

Rising he spun around again. His eyes seeking for what else there was.

“See the trees amid the forest.”

Grandfather’s words had slipped from his lips. There was a boulder, a stone, a rock, spruce and birch. Each spurred uses in his mind. The stone was laying near the shelter. Likely it was a cooking stone to be warmed by a fire next to it. The large boulder would reflect heat back to the shelter. The shelter a simple lean to of the spruce branches layered to shed water. Now with a settling of snow on top that added to its insulation.

“Always carry a rock.”

Norvus walked over to the rock. They had many uses. From a toy to occupy your hands, a thrower to untree a squirrel, a better digger than your nails, arranged for ceremonies, trail markers and so much more.

Circling the trees to get to the rock he spied an Adler tree. Near it was another. They had their own uses too. Adler and Rowan trees could be used in tanning instead of the animal’s own fats. A few sheets on hand meant saving that edible fat for one’s own nutrition. Birch bark sheets could be made into things.

In a few minutes the snow turned to rain. Moving a fallen tree trunk toward the camp a few more rocks and a straight thin pine were gathered.

“The forest will provide.”

Another of the grandfather’s wisdoms. If you think the forest can provide your senses will be open. If you think the forest is against you your heart will close up. The wilds were neutral but how your heart flows with spirits comes to be the many things the unskilled call luck.

While the rain pattered on the spruce needles of the shelter Norvus took out his knife. Birch bark can be shaped for an extra outer layer. Crude yes but it would protect the clothing underneath while trapping just a bit more heat. Though he would need cordage.

In a pouch was a finely made cord suitable for a bow string. He didn’t want to use that unless absolutely necessary. So it was time to dug up roots and peel apart thin branches. Split them. Then using a stone for a weight to braid them together. It took most of the day to do this chore.

Norvus slept in the camp. In the morning he ate half the bread then started east. Exhausted at a small lake he made a new lean to sleep in. A small fire getting the heating started. A nibble of meats that night was followed by the end of his foods the next day’s travel.

It was on this day he found a pair of villages.

At Hyhky’s Passage there was work to be had gathering large stones. They planned to refit their sauna. Working in the rain making snow into slush was slippering. Stones coated in slushy rain were cold in his bare hands. Holding the overcoat front up made a bowl to carry the stones. Back and forth from the fields three times made the pile high enough to be accepted.

With his axe he split boards from a trunk. They only accepted a few bare boards. Still it added to the value of work done enough to barter for one and half dozen cuts of prepared meat, a wooden shovel, a wooden bowl and a leather water skin. Roast meat flavored by the cooks was made even more wondrous by having not eaten since the morning. The shovel would push snow around at camps plus do digging in the warming spring. It was a nicety to have a bowl as it made eating feel much more civilized. Other than the immediate food it was the skin that was the most useful. It would let him carry water away from where he had pounded through the ice. 

Norvus rested in one of the houses. As is the custom he spoke of his own village and his travels. It was how news of life moved across the land. The youngsters asked about the braided roots. He held them up for them to see. Hemp or leather made better ropes yet many things could be made with these. After the tales he slept.

He awoke in the night cool as no one had made a fire. Fetching a section of the split tree trunk plus knocked off branches he brought them inside. He made a fire. The glow spread warmth over his new friends. A woman turned  to face the heat onto her face.

The next day Norvus scouted the near village but they had no chores to be done. A half dozen of the boards made already were useful to them. The trade being for more food. He made sure to balance between meat cuts and turnips. The latter weren’t as tasty but wouldn’t spoil. Before leaving Norvus figures on having a week of food. That wasn’t bad for the stop over.

To find the large river system to the inland lake he would have to make east or south or south east. Having only heard of it in stories he couldn’t  be sure. Better then to make to the coast to find the river mouth. East was also closing to where the Nerjpez made camp. That could be very dangerous.

Brygun

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 09:27:35 PM »
At noon the thigh deep snow had wearied him. Norvus used his spear butt to bang a hole in a lake. He drank the cold water beneath then tried fishing with his spear. No fish swam past his random hole. At least he was rested. The water skin hung inside his clothing was warmed by his body.

Come the evening a cliff jutted out of the forest. So there he built a shelter. A large boulder would reflect the heat while the cliff cut off much of the wind. Would it have been better to take to a hidden spot in the forest where even less wind got through the spruce? Perhaps. Then it might be challenge to ever find it again. A goshawk seemed to confirm this was a good choice for today.

Norvus places a ring of rocks then one large stone. The taller stone would heat more drawing the smoke to rise up it. This guides the smoke away from the shelter. A gift of a turnip was placed for the spirits. Perhaps a meat cut for the goshawk would have been better. His unpracticed hand struggled to get a fire going. After man tries he moved in some of the extra spruce bedding that was now a little drier. That at last caught a spark. Careful blowing brought the spruce twigs to a heat that got the fallen branch to overcome its dampness. So warmed in the cliffside shelter he slumbered to wake feeling warm.

This day the trek was mostly south. A river, snow layered on ice, gave a path to follow. At one point rapids babbled where the water flow raced faster than ice could form. By noon hills and jagged mounds hinted that the coast was near. From on top of one he could see an elk moving.

Downing a moose would be a great find. Norvus was unsure his skills were up to it. His lack of skiis would make it impossible to do a chase hunt. A heaviness came to his heart as he had no preparations done to preserve so much meat. Today the forest was showing a possibility for the future. He gave thanks for that. He would not hunt the elk on this day.

There was more to be seen. To the southeast the ice gave way to blue. The sea!

Reaching in coast in the afternoon he set up a new shelter. This one a few steps in from the ice in a hollow made by a cluster of spruce. A ring of rocks and stone for the fire. Various woods gathered. He finally gave in to use the spare cord. He did his best to work it into a loop snare. There was a wisdom to setting snares when sleeping. You might wake up with fresh game. If not there were simple enough gather up to take to the next camp.

Before settling he took a young spruce trunk. Holding his axe with both hands near the blade the bark and uneven places were smoothed down. A point was cut then hardened in his camp fire. A woodsman’s javelin. He was lighter and faster than his spear. It might be better for fishing.

The next day he went east along the coast. Before mid day the coast was running north. He must be at or close to the great north running river. He made another camp with shelter, rock ring and fire against a reflecting boulder.

The day after that, Day 1 of the last week before summer, Norvus enters the Reemi village of Whirlbottom. There Olesa the woodsman agreed that one of Norvus’s root ropes would make a stronger lashing for a project Olesa was preparing for.

Olesa said, “You will be going to the great lake? I’ll trade you this old fishing pole. It was paid to me for fixing a roof this winter. My skills are in woodworking so I don’t have the time for fishing. Your rope though will let me finish work that pays in furs and meat. I hope you will catch the fish you need for your journey.”

Norvus was glad of the trade. He felt a little odd that it wasn’t a leather rope but if a rope holds a weight is it not a rope? Olesa also gave him an short cord. Norvus put in the sliding loop for another snare.

Looking to the sun in the clear sky showed it was already past its highest. Where had the time gone? Looking at his food pouch it wasn’t as full as before. Olessa had said there was work going on. Perhaps if their woodworker was busy there was a need for boards. Norvus decided to make boards to trade.

It was easy to fine a tipped tree. Clearing off the branches Norvus brought it inside the village perimeter. It was far easier to move a single solid log then a wiggle mass of boards. Besides the work would be noisy and might attract a customer. With his woodaxe Norvus took to splitting the log. Work that would see the run come close to the horizon.

Toumas the sage came by. Indeed he had heard the whacking sound of the axe blows. There was use for the boards. Toumas would carve decorations into the best of the lot. The others would be used here and there. The worse would be used for firewood.

Toumas said, “You need more than food for today. To make a new home you will need seeds as well. A seed’s power lay in what it becomes.”

After discussing back and forth Toumas gave Norvus two small baskets of turnip seeds, a crop he could eat, and a larger basket of hemp, which in time would become clothes. There was also a few dried fish added to his food pouch. There was a wisdom in what the sage had suggested. Food for now, food for later and clothing.

A diet of turnips and meat would be nourishing yet boring. There were bags of peas, beans and barley available. If he wanted those Norvus would need to do more work yet. The town would surely not need many more boards.

With where the sun was in the sky it wasn’t time to travel either. Norvus wanders the village and woods. He spoke with each of the villagers he met. He could stay a night here as a traveler telling of news. They would even ask of the nearby villages Norvus had been at recently. Settling upon a sleeping bunk he slept.

Waking before sunrise he asked for directions to the next village. Striking out there was more signs this was the great northern river. The next village is Bruin Passage. The had little to trade with no signs of bags of peas or beans. Norvus decides to continue on a ways.

The sun was rising. Eastward wide waters cut northward. Only the edges of the river where still icy. There was wide swaths of blue icy cold water which he dare not swim. Following this west bank northward Norvus found the village of Pitchwood. They did have bags of grains for sale. A tree felled then split into boards traded for a heavy bag of grains plus a few roasted meat cuts. The grain was heavy and he had far to journey. Norvus chose rye over barley.

<save Norvus got rye>

Brygun

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 10:11:05 PM »
Moving on northward game could be seen. A reindeer would be a suitable catch. There was a badger and a pig as well. None of these could he pick up the tracks of. Pressing on he found a rapids with water access. This seemed a decent place to make a short term camp. Later he could use it while boating back to the Reemi.

He laid a trail marking set of small rocks to a large stone. That stone acting like an arrow head to point the direction of his camp amid the pines. Scouting he found a sheltered spot of spruce. Their boughs would so much better block wind and sight. He moved the markers to the shore near there.
His lean-to shelter was soon up. A ring of rocks and a large stone was laid for the campfire. Both snares were set. A starting stock of firewood was prepared with more wood to work on nearby. At the bank of the rapids he took out the fishing pole. Its flicking was unfamiliar. He got no fish so ate from his stores. Starting the fire Norvus settled in to sleep in the shelter. The basket and bags of seed were placed in a corner to keep dry. That and he didn’t need to be burdened by their weight until moving out of the camp. There was a risk of animals nibbling on them. Perhaps though this might bait game into one of the snares. Norvus was happy in knowing this rapid was a river in sight of the great river he had dreamed of finding.

Come the new morning it seemed prudent to explore around the improved camp. Hare tracks were on the snow. Perhaps a day old or perhaps from during the night. Prosperity seemed to be offered here. More fallen trees to. More than enough to make a raft to float out from the shore for fishing. Hours into the evening saw roots and bark thinned then braided until making the rope like cordage for the raft. More trail markers were placed along the shore. This time pointing to the landing point that then led to his camp.

Waking in the shelter sounds of rained filled the air. The rain thinning the snow ever so slightly. So to would the river unfreeze. The raft could then take him deep into the heartland. Skis and a pole would take an animal kill or two for the fur and leather. A raft was within his woodworking means. Then a sesta pushing stick or a paddle from boards. The heavy logs were lifted to be bound fast together. A cold drink from the rapids soothed his throat. With the rain gone Norvus felt like sitting inside his shelter to dry.

Joy!

A hare was caught in one of the loop snares!

Quickly he thumped on it with the butt of his spear. In the snare it was but the hare dashed the short distances it could. Several blows were needed to knock it out. Soon it was skinned and processed. A work place had already been setup for working hides. That is a tree trunk as work bench plus stones and rocks for stretching a hide. A fresh ring of stones was laid near here to cook the meat. It was only a small amount but it was his first self caught meat since his journey began.

Before the day was out Norvus split out boards from a gathered tree trunk. It had become his first paddle. Far from wondrous it proved effective when he launched the raft. He only went out a little way. As a caution he let the raft bump up against a tall rock to keep it from being drawn downstream. Fishing out there was relaxing. Alas still no catch. Well he had freshly roasted hare to eat.

The hare’s skin was washed, tanned in its fats, rinsed and stretched. It was rather ragged looking. Far to crude for sell. Norvus was proud though. This was a start. Besides it would make a nice traveling pillow.

Morning fishing was again without success. Was this why the Olessa had traded it away? Was it an unlucky pole? Norvus laughed. No that wasn’t it. He wasn’t fishing for fun but for survival. He didn’t know the right spots. To appease the spirit he laid out an offering on one of the rising rocks he paddled out to.

Taking up a board he carved the two paw catching notches for a fox board. Setting it up Norvus wished he had planned ahead and not cooked all the hare. Uncooked meat was familiar to the foxes so that is what would attract them. Still it was decently made. Perhaps he would trade it at the next village.

For the afternoon Norvus wandered in a wide arc around this improved camp. The smaller river was to the west with the camp on the and between it and the great river to the east. When the ice melted he might well need that raft to cross back and forth. On the west side of the river there was hills and cliffs. From there he saw an elk. Once again declining to hunt what he couldn’t properly treat. The thought did come to him that a great portion of meat could be traded to the villages he already went. For now he returned to the camp to see if he could make a better paddle.

His second paddle came out with a few defects like his first. Now he had done two. The third paddle he remembered the mistakes and carved with more care in those places. This time the paddle was well shaped. It seemed like the ones that might be put up for trade. Well then he had done it.

The next day saw another failure to fish. Scouting around he tried to get close to the distant elk but didn’t find it. The rain was washing away tracks in the snow. Back at the camp he carved a few bowls, one came out rough the other was smooth. His food supplies were slim now. He’d have to trade the carved goods in one of the villages.

The next day Norvus mutters the rapids don’t cover the whole width of the river. He’d have to leave the raft on this side. Otherwise it would be on ice or he’d have to drag its heavy weight risking a sudden break of ice. If the ice melted while he was on the side with the villages he’d be cut off from his camp.

It took until the afternoon trudging south west to get back to the first village, Hyhk’s passage. For all his travels since he had done a wide U, going south to find the coast, then east to find the great river mouth and north along its banks.

“It is so much easier to get places when you know where you are going.”

The trading didn’t go well. All he managed was a few pounds of dried fish. Still he did need to eat. Bringing things here, including two unwanted boards, had taken most of the day. He would sleep here then make back to the camp on the next day. Fishing at the camp was again without reward.

In the morning Norvus took in the situation. The snow was now only ankle deep. Much easier to walk in. He had over a hundred pounds to carry when you figured in his clothing, weapons, tools and collection of three different types of seed. Leaving the raft behind was annoying as it meant a few days work, mostly in making the rope thick cords from roots and bark. If he left now he couldn’t take it with him. Staying here was proving awkward. He wasn’t catching fish and the villages were well stocked on the woodwork and carvings he could do.

Norvus decided to carry on northward on foot. This camp would be around for trade journeys. Decently stocked in wood in different shapes. A traveler could easily shelter here a night.

The day was a strange trek. It seemed he had found the north coast of the great inner lake. Yet there would be rivers running farther north. He met a wanderer going southbound who was glad to get directions from Norvus. They traded Norvus’s last two turnips for a cord Norvus made into a third loop snare. It took two days to find the likely one. The second of these camps was made at rapids. Ones that were the full river wide. Had he made his raft here he could cross to either side.

An interesting rock formation made a hook into the rapids. He could walk out a ways now without a raft. In the morning he tried fishing.

Success!

He brought in seven perches that morning. Another humor as the rain was finally thinning the ice. It wasn’t clear for rafting yet. Soon though.

The morning found a raven in a loop snare. He processed it including treating the skin for another small strip of leather. Two bream fish were caught as well. The mouth of this river, “Sun Stream”, seemed to over good success. Yet it wasn’t quite ideal for settling yet. After that extra day at the Sun Stream Norvus made north ward along it.

It was still early morning when he spied a Nerjpez.

<save Norvus first Nerj>

Brygun

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 10:23:25 PM »
The Nerjpez was hundreds of yards off into the forest. To follow this river bank north was to pass nearby. Norvus’s knees where shaking. He wanted to be brave. His heart was telling him that if wasn’t ready to fight an elk he wasn’t ready to fight a Nerjpez warrior. Was it warrior? It could be a scout, a hunter, a lost wanderer. Worse it could be not just a warrior but one of their cheif’s on a personal quest. Would the Nerjpez have metal armor? Norvus had at best two layers of furs.

No shield.

Norvus had practiced fighting with a shield but he had none. He was looking to set up a stead. A close fight could go very bad.

Norvus hadn’t any herbs nor prepared bandages for wounds. The herbs hadn’t come into season yet. The bandages he could rip apart cloth for. If he defeated the Nerjpez he could tear up the opponent’s clothes. That is if he survived himself.

If it wasn’t a warrior the Nerjpez might be just as nervous as Norvus. It is said they liked to sneak upon camps. Norvus had made a few nearby to distract him. So maybe they might just pass be each other.

“I have to go on,” said Norvus.

Its not like he was going to turn back. He would be cautious with the Nerjpez and happy enough to just to slip past.

Within an hour Norvus was past the area. A few hours more saw him following the river northward. With all his concerns it past like a wind. Yet it had been a warning too. The Nerjpez camps were to the east. They would have men coming out this far.

In the early afternoon Norvus was following the west bank of a branch of the river. There was another rivers feeding in. Something made him feel he should get to the east bank. Up ahead on the east bank was a rocky rise. One above the trees with a good move. It might be a could place to make a camp. To get there would mean crossing the weakening ice.

Norvus stepped out slowly. It seemed safe. Several steps more made it seem possible.

A whip of cold lashed his body everywhere as the ice cracked away.

He flailed to get on the ice, up… down into the water as it gave way too.

Again and again with the weight of wet furs his strength was draining. Cold numbing hands and feet was numbing now forearms and calves.

He got onto the ice. Belly down waddling like a walrus he made to the shore.

The air today was warmer than usual but he was coated in ice. No shelter nearby. He needed a fire fast.

His eyes darted left and right. This was pine heathland. Wood for a fire sure. Covering for a shelter would be tricky. He staggers looking for a smaller tree to make an rapid fire. Moving closer he can see farther past it is a young spruce. That means spruce branches. After the fire he would gather the spruce twigs while leaving that beloved spruce tree alive to grow strong to rescue others.

“The forest will provide.”

Lengths of the young pine came down. One pushed to the side for the fire. Norvus leaned against an older pine. His hands so poorly working he could hardly grip. He leans his torso over the branches letting his own weight snap dry dead branches free. This would be the kindling.

Drowsy frigid numbness was soaking into him. He pushed the kindling into a crude triangle stand next to the chosen fire log. He took out his fire maker.

“Please, quickly.”

He spun it fast and faster. Adrenaline wasn’t the only thing pushing his hands and arms to somehow work. A spark. A puff of wind got it to linger on the kindling. The kindling caught. Soon the log was starting. Norvus huddles close to it.

Holding his hands close to the fire they started to become merely numb. He had the strength now. He went to the spruce grabbing the branches. Turn over, push, pull, cut and they came loose. His legs were wobbly as he went the few yards to the fire. The rest of the young pine was combined with these spruce twigs to a heat catching fire. The work kept his mind away from death. The work took effort which warmed his body. By the time it was done he was feeling warm again.

Still he went inside to dry. He hung his clothes to dry by the fire.

“That was dangerous. That was stupid. That was fun.”

Now he laughed. Nerjpez be damned. He had almost drowned in a frozen river.

He set out a dried bream in thanks.

Anxiety still circles round and round his being. Grandfather’s teachings came to him again.

“Travel with a calm mind. The hurried foot slips off a cliff.”

Norvus dresses then walks a near patrol of the emergency shelter. He soon moved in three fallen trees that could, with rope, make a raft. A rock and stone trail marker he placed at the coast. Norvus took time to look for a better spot for the shelter. That first building was done in the rush of near death. He decided to move it next to the young spruce that gave its limbs to save his life. There were several pines close to it with gaps the snares could block.

It was while rebuilding the shelter he slumped unconscious.

He came to with a spring rain falling on him. He finished this shelter in a few minutes. A short walk gathered rocks and a stone for a proper fire ring. More trail markers were placed. There was also an interesting spot to stand to fish at ice free rapids. Another young pine tree was felled and split into log lengths. He placed these near the shelter for whomever next needed a fire, possibly himself. Trying the fishing spot didn’t catch any fish but did settle him part way. Taking a drink and filling his water skin Norvus carries on northward. Northward on this side of the river.

It was two days traveling in which he found the source of the river he had followed. So now he circled behind to the shore of yet another river. He new it was two days as he had built two shelters. Now roughly spaced a day’s journey apart.

It was on the third he found a Kaumolais village at “Hitto Rapids.” There Nyri needed branches gathered for kindling their fires. He wanted a large bundle to do them for the next few weeks. Simple enough for Norvus.

<save Norvus Kaumo 1>

Brygun

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 10:27:07 PM »
As well as the chore Norvus stayed overnight preparing boards and carving a few for villager’s needs. He was able to be paid with some roasted meat plus bags each half full of barley grains, broad beans and peas. Good additions to his future farm. The half bags were better he felt as he still needed to carry thing a far distance. A selection of turnips, as a ready to eat food, completed his trade in Hitto’s Rapids.

Everything he was carrying was nearly two hundred pounds. The river were still covered with thin ice so rafting wasn’t yet an option. Trudging northward under his burden he came across a family stead. However, it was on the other side of the river. Norvus knew far to well the risk of trying to cross the thinned ice.

In the early evening he found the village of Pot Stream. The name made him remember he needed to buy, or make, an iron pot. It would make the cooking in his stead so much better. One could make a hollow block of wood, fill it with hot rocks from a fire and eventually get a boil. Iron pots were expensive. Several pounds of iron shaped into the large bowl shape. Norvus would needed to figure out how to pay for one.

For now he spent a few days wandering the ends of the rivers. Finding Kaumois settlements here and there. He was getting closer to choosing where to live. Yet now he was finding the river starts it wouldn’t quite be so certain they led to the great river mouth.

The first Owl tribe village was at Flower Wild. They had a herd of reindeer. Norvus enjoyed looking at them even petting their noses. Among the available trade goods was a might northern bow. One day Norvus hoped to get one. For now he boarded, carved and traded for a stack of dried squirrel meat and a half dozen arrows. Arrows were a light trade item with decent worth. Each arrow could in a skilled hand become a new game animal with meat and hide. One day Norvus might be that good. His mind drifted to his youthful archery practice where he did an adequate job at competing with the adults.

Now came a retracing of steps. Expanding his search for a place to homestead. This would be near the Owl and Kaumo. Hopefully on a lake or river leading to the great river opening to the southern sea.

Of the land he searched there was one hill. It stood back from a lake which in turn was back from a greater lake. This hill would be a good spot in hunting or patrolling to see far away. Around was spruce and pine. Mire and lichens. Dense and sparse trees. The sparse trees would be easier to convert to fields. He could not see a grove near here. There was narrows between the waters that one could make a trap fence across. Another good plan for hunting. There was no rapids near though meaning winter would take chopping into ice.

Checking and rechecking he found a spot hard to be seen. That could hide one from Nerjpez searchers, should they come the farther way to here. He would make a good camp here. His mind was still debating to do all the other work to make this his homestead. It was a good spot yet once begun it would harsh to learn of a better spot nearby.

<save Norvus chosen camp>

He made an offering to the local spirits. Setting about preparing a shelter birds flew by this way and that. A sign of prosperity.

A great burden was lifted from his shoulders. That being all the seeds and the few tools he had brought with him. One was the paddle he made for his fishing raft perhaps two weeks ago. The raft was two heavy to bring but not the paddle. Others brought back other memories. There was the hare fur from his first trapped animal and raven feathers. For seeds he had turnip, hemp, barley, rye, broad beans and peas.

What he really needed to do was to get the fields started. With spring well on the lean to and a fire would be warm enough. For that shelter he found a spot amid a cluster of spruce trees just big enough for the shelter and a fire. One easily blocked off by a single trap to safe guard from Nerjpez or catch game trying to get at the seeds. One birch tree was an oddity in the spruce tree ring. Yet in such differences there was a strength. Norvus thought it being like his fire rings with one large stone joined by rocks. That fire ring and trail markers were his next task. After all what good is your shelter if it is so hidden even you can’t find it.

This was also a time to set the three loop snares and the two fox boards with him. He hadn’t even finished when he had his first catch! A hare in a loop snare on the south side of the shelter’s spruce ring. Prosperous indeed! After removing the skin and carving away the meat he offered a portion to the spirits. He felt a bit uneasy. Perhaps the spirits had already accepted him and this was like shouting at them like a newborn. While scraping clean the hare’s hide a grouse was caught!

While gathering kindling he found an Adler tree next to a Birch. Two more good resources right at hand. On the way back there was a fluttering and thrashing as another grouse had gone into the same reset snare. Before he went to sleep the count for the first day was one hare and three grouse.

His near patrol for the day gathered stones and a fallen tree. He hoped to find a larger tree circle. One that would be large enough to store goods and move around to work on them. It would need new traps to secure the ways between the trees. He also found a medium sized clearing with higher ground in the center. This might be a place to make a house, maybe. That would be much later in the year.

<save Norvus expanding 001>

Brygun

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 04:47:21 AM »
Norvus kneels down to pat the ground. It would be soft. Moss was covering the ground. This was more a spruce mire than a forest. A hundred yards to the west the ground was stronger. It would be drier. Better described as a coniferous forest. He might be healthier to build the stead there. If it could be hidden in a similar that is. Norvus moved around now scouting that area. It wasn’t as well hidden with sight lines going to the south east.

The amount of work that was going to happen makes the choice of steading location vital to the efforts to follow. While exploring he gathers rocks and stones. He wandered to the hill and the lichen covered pines of its southern slope. The sparse trees there made making fields easier. He was being troubled by the this or that decisions gnawing at him. Returning to camp he piled the rocks and stones in a growing pile.

Weariness was calling so he sat on the bank. He would fish through the hole in the ice from his hideworking. Well that was the plan. The line hung oddly in the water. Looking in he could see the water was too shallow. Norvus sighs. Searching around the lake he chose a place where the bank was more sloped. He whacked away the ice with his woodsman’s axe. The choice was good as the water was deep enough for the hook to float properly. In the evening he had pulled up a pike and two bream. He started to clean a bream when he slipped from sitting to being on the ground. He had to sleep.

In the morning he reset the three loop snares and two fox traps. Then he cut the bream some more and roasted most of the fish. He saved a portion uncooked which he placed with a prayer back in the ice hole he had fished from. It would ease the fish spirits returning and of course bait other fish over.

One farming idea he remembered was to spread out the daily cooking fires. Then the ash can be turned into the soil to make fertile soil. The soil was starting to thaw. Awkwardly the wooden shovel, a thoughtful purchase in his journey, turned the moss, ash and a bit of soil. He would plant larger fields elsewhere. These cooking spots become a small garden.

(Note: game mechanics can make processing the 100s of items in a field do wonky things. It is for this reason large fields should be a at least a couple map tiles from your homestead with its own 100s of items. A few spots of garden near the stead should be okay.)

Norvus thought again of his tasks ahead. He would need a cellar soon, to better preserve what food he could get. He needed to get that food, such as hunting elk he had passed on earlier. The fields for planting needed to be burned then ash turned into the soil. Plant the fields. Build a trap fence. Set a trap line. Decide where to build the stead. Build the first room of a house with a chimney before winter comes again. Make a punt or water craft for later journey’s south. All the while he would need  to keep himself feed by hunting or fishing or gathering. Blueberry shrubs were noticeable in the area though months from having berries to eat.

Norvus did decide to make use of a larger clearing. His needs had changed from hiding to a production camp. One where within an area enclosed by trees and traps there could be the fire ring, shelter, a cellar backed away from the cellar, a place for cooking and places for storage. After debating between two spots he picked one near the rise he had thought might be used for the stead. Though this spot also seemed a good spot for a spiritual center.

He stood branches up right in a line from the camp back towards the lake. A good trail marker to follow. That would work for enemies too all assuming they had even come this close. Lever traps were set at the new camp. The fox traps moved and the loop snares back in his pocket for traveling.

Gathering and searching he found that a minutes walk to the south there was an east to west rise there for some reason the moss did not grow. There was a space here big enough for a small stead. Looking farther out around this spot was well hidden by the spruce. You couldn’t see or be seen from the shore. Water wasn’t immediately handy but there was less risk of a boater finding them. This was added to his list of possible stead building sites. 

Another possible stead spot was noticed. One where the ground was naturally sunken inside a ring of earth. There was a protrusion that could well serve as a ramp up and down where a door could go. If he put walls up on the ring the interior ceiling would be naturally higher. All was moss covered. It would be a larger house for sure.

Norvus tried to focus his mind. The cellar should go in. Any big surplus of food needs to be kept cool. A pit in the ground, stones to brace the walls and a hatch of boards. Perhaps spruce at the bottom for a drainage layer.

He started a wide search. He found suitable stones and rolled a fallen tree toward the camp. It was exhausting work so at noon he stopped the rolling near his fishing ice hole. He fished but caught nothing. Finishing the roll to the camp he was pleased to see a grouse caught in one of the perimeter traps. By the time he went to sleep firewood was split, the grouse was cooked, the cooling cellar pit was done and the seeds safely stored inside. An extra stone was placed on the hatch to better weight it down.

The morning was now into the beginning of Seedtime month. He really needed to the crops started. He decided not to use the lichen pine area. Instead the soil seemed better in the heathland. The spot he chose was also fairly hidden. It was only a few hundred yards from the camp so he should be able to go back to sleep at night. It would however not be so kind on making rectangular fields. The pines where here and there and everywhere. He started by making firewood then making using branches in a one-one-one-three pattern for trail markers.

Fire took to the lay of firewoods for the first plot. A few trees caught fire. Though worried the fires didn’t spread farther out. The labor intensive work of turning soil and ash together now began. It would be days of firing and turning to have good sized fields. Along the way he would start planting seeds so might get at least some crop. The camps various lever traps, clusters had been placed in tree gaps, were snaring the odd bird. That meant a supply of meat during the fielding. It was a race though. It was already getting dubious to plant rye. For now he would pass on preparing the bird hides. The fielding is urgent. The recently turned soil was still to hot for seeds. How much could he get planted?

<save Norvus Fielding 001>

Brygun

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 03:03:46 AM »
(Note: For a planting guideline on when to plant crops see
http://www.unrealworld.fi/wiki/index.php?title=Agriculture_(Skill)#Farmer.27s_calendar  )

He was spending days burning and turning in the slash and burn method. More efficient by spreading split down firewood pieces across the field to be. Yet his fires took a tree here and there. This was by far the hardest he ever worked in his life. The trek here was never as exhausting as this. Sometimes he slept next to the fields awoken by rains. Food was running short, unless he started eating his seed stores of beans and peas. At least some of the beans where in soil now. So to was some rye and hemp.

On this return from the field he heard a yelp. A fox was hanging by its paw on one of the foxboards. A good catch. Grouse were got now and then. He finished the fox off, skinned, butchered and offered a portion to send its spirit home. Norvus walked over to his tanning tanning station on the bank. He heard a snuffle. Was that a pig or boar? He turned around a tree to see a glutton. A wolverine foreigners might say. One of the dangerous beasts for though smaller it was strong with sharp claws and a meaner attitude than a town drunk who found his wife in bed with another man.

The glutton scampered off.

Norvus blinked his eyes. He hadn’t expected to see one of those. He followed the tracks only briefly. He was still committed to laying the fields. The meat of the beast would be wonderful. There was a balance in considering the danger. He had no larger traps set yet that could catch it. The light style of lever traps it could shrug off.

Norvus changed his mind about fielding. Defending the camp including keeping him safe when sleeping. Setting a heavy dead-fall for the glutton was a new priority. Fortunately he had already gathered wood shafts for the trap roof, stones to weight it, other wood to balance it. What he needed was cordage. For that he split, twisted and tied the the bird skins into a length of leather rope. For bait he would for now borrow the rotting meat from one of the fox traps. At least he knew where to put it, near where it was seen. He piled a stash of rocks nearby as things to be thrown at a trapped beast.

Pride in setting the trap was soon off set by the hunger pains. The meat and fish were consumed. All but a few turnips for trap bait as well. He’d have to spend some time fishing or hunting. Time that would be taken away from the fields. There was some plants sprouting now. There would be a small harvest. Starvation was nibbling at him. He really did more food for now.

He turned a few more plots of ash and soil together. He came back to the camp feeling sad. A sense of defeat. He couldn’t keep fielding. It wasn’t a dreadful defeat. There was many accomplishments done. Had he been unkind to the spirits? Had he forgotten trapping lore?

What was that sound?

Norvus crouched be a spruce. A broad smile grew across his face. There in the brand new big deadfall was the glutton! With all its meat and fur. It thrashed around wounded. The pinning of the stones on the wood was too much for it to break free. A pinned leg seemed unresponsive to the beast’s motion.

The voice of his grandfather came to his mind.

“If you keep doing the right things the goods thing will come.”

Picking up the stash of rocks Norvus begins pelting the glutton. Once it was worn down he’d risk his few arrows. His aim with rocks and arrows was poor. It wasn’t until after two volleys of rocks and two hands of arrows did he register his body was exhausted from the fielding. The glutton now was battered and sprouting four arrows. Its breath stopped. Removed the trap the beast weighed twenty nine pounds. It yielded its hide and thirteen one-pound cuts of meat. The first was offered back to the spirit realm.

The next day the preparation of the glutton’s fur was done. Recalling the troubles in his travel the very first thing he made was a pair of fur mittens. Two more birds had waddled into the lever traps. Together there was enough food for a few more days of fielding.
By the time those foods were used there was only a few pounds of broad beans left. Norvus set those aside in the cellar as a safeguard in case his planted crop died. There was already planted some rye, barley, hemp and peas as well. Not very many but a bit of each. His backed ache. Fishing when tired hadn’t brought up more fish. Berry plants in the area were coming along but were still months from bearing ripe fruit. It was day 7 of the 9th week before midsummer thus roughly the middle of Seedtime. He took a breath to plan what he should do next.

<save Norvus fielding 002>

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007663027/screenshot/951844895254651820
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 04:36:11 AM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 04:04:36 AM »
This day was spent reseting the traps of line near the camp. It had been productive so far. It was close to the camp which ought to scare animals away. Yet his cooking, butchering and storing foods could also draw them in. He sat to fish near the camp with once again no catch. Next there was a few traps now at the fields to check, test and reset. Far from a full enclosure. The hope was to catch an animal to make up in food value what it may have eaten. Norvus climbed to the lonely hill. Looking as far as he could there was no signs of game. He strolled to the narrows between the great lake and the large lake to the north. There were excellent spots for a trap fence. That was something to do when he had food and not having to do the fielding. Fishing in the evening finally produced some fish. A roach was offered up right away in thanks. Juupalaaja, Juupa-wide, was proving to be an interesting location. 

He worked hard to expand the field. Planting strips of the growing field with new crops. It was far too late now to rye. Keeping fed was a losing battle. Starvation made him dizzy. While fishing, without luck, he looked at what remained of the bag of peas. Most was now in the fields. There was enough to plant a bit more and have that reserve for seed if the crop failed. His head wobbled. His mouth drooled.
In a rapid minute had eaten a pound and half of the peas! He barely had recollection of starting to eat. Only that he was done. His stomach gurgled happily. His limbs were far from restored from the weeks of hard labor with reduced rations. Cursing his loss of will he put what remained of the peas in the cellar. There was a few pounds left for an emergency restart of the fields.
Looking in the cellar he spied the bag of rye grains. He hadn’t been able to plant much at all. Perhaps he should thresh some to make some cakes. Really would be better to now bring in a big game or lots of fish. For the fields he still had time to lay a turnip patch. How is head hurt from the starvation. He laid on his fur overcoat inside the shelter. It was taken off as the weather warmed. He laid down to rest. At least he had lots to drink from the lakes.

At least a week went by of struggling for fishing and trapping while partially starving yet still doing the heavy labor of turning more ash into soil for fielding. Here and there grouse got trapped by the camp or near the fields. Traps around the fields were spotty. At least they would capture some meat for what plants had been eaten. Two patches of turnips were planted by the time it was fallow month.
Norvus had indeed ground rye into flour to bake flat breads. A few pounds of the grain gone. Still plenty of seed, or winter flour, left. It made a difference in these harsh times. Enough bird skins were processed to make the joint in a grain flail. That would be need in the fall. For now he placed it in the cellar.
One might get a few more broad beans or peas in. Grains like barley and rye need much more time. He decided what fields he now did would again be a mix of beans and peas. The idea of having to eat so many turnips in the winter didn’t feel appealing. This would use that reserve of beans and peas. The way those planted were already growing and the scattering of field protecting traps made Norvus more confident of a fall harvest.
He visited the hill. This time scouring it for large stones. These he brought to the fields. Each stone the power source for a lever trap. The protective trap rings were still far from complete. Each trap though limited the safe approaches increasing the chances of the plant crops luring in game to give meat.

On the first day of the fifth week to midsummer, still in early Fallow month, he decided he was done fielding for this year. The last of the beans and peas were in. He had started to use turnip seeds to fill in the ash turned soil. Berry bushes were still months away. Then to would be so many other plants to harvest in the wilds. Norvus celebrated by baking more rye biscuits that he hungrily devoured. For a few days he would focus on immediate foods by fishing or if lucky hunting. The spirits had been kind to send to game his camp’s trap line and the field’s guarding traps.
The next day he had two rye biscuits and a roasted bream fish in his food pouch. His body felt healthy. He began his hunting wanderings. Soon he spotted a grouse nest with seven eggs. He wondered if this had belonged to one of the many grouse he had caught over last few weeks. It was quite possible and if so no parent would sit to hatch the eggs. One was given to the spirits, one he ate and the others would be kept for traveling food. Gathering stones as he went westward perhaps one or two bow shots away he spotted lynx tracks. He wasn’t able to track them very far on the lichens of the pine woods near the hill.
That same day at the main camp he started a fire to cook small roach fish when he heard a snuffle. Just like when he had a heard the glutton. Norvus felt secure in his camp with traps. The trap line with the big trap might do the work for him. He was about to fall asleep too. Going out about to drop asleep was no way to hunt a potential man killer. Checking the traps right close to the shelter he snuggled down. He did clasp hands onto his spear as he slept.

In the morning he shook off his fur overcoat. Long had it been a below-blanket in the camp shelter. Now he wasn’t donning it for warmth. Layering up was the best form of armor he had. He chose to go forth with his woodsman’s axe. His best style of combat. He crept out of the shelter’s small enclosure. This took quietly deactivating a trap. Soft stepping along the edges of his foot the search began. Looking to trap line those he saw where in place. Creeping along he smiled. Indeed the big trap had caught its second glutton.
Norvus swung with the axe reversed, in a hope to preserve the fur. Twice he hit the frightened beast before it suddenly lashed with claws at him. He skidded his legs back leaving his torso bending forward. It worked. He stepped back to watch the fierce creature. It was safer to use his bow. The first few arrows missed as it desperately shifted under the trap. Now he had seen how it moved. The next few arrows struck with one bleeding from the abdomen. It slumped unconscious. Norvus took out his knife to finish it when it began thrashing again. Quickly he backed up. These gluttons (wolverines) truly are relentless. More arrows and he cut its neck. Yet it was still heaving as it breathed. Still it wasn’t going to pass on. Stepping forward Norvus made another cut along the neck then stepped back. He waited silently watching in respect. It was several minutes before the glutton stopped breathing. Norvus was glad he respected the beast’s battle skill and had let the trap do the work rather than facing it in the open.

It was while processing the kill that fresh elk tracks were found at the trap line. An elk had wandered by. Perhaps while Norvus slept and the glutton thrashed in the trap. Norvus gave the first cut glutton meat to the spirits and the second to re-bait the large trap. If uncooked the meat would go to waste. First he’d cook it then he would have a few days food to stalk the elk, if he could keep up the trail.
The rain at first made it harder washing the tracks. Then as the ground became muddy the tracks held better. When Norvus thought he lost the trail he backed up to the last he had found. Three branches were stuck in the ground together. This would be the hub of his spoke and edge search. It took a while yet with this technique you will often find the trail as it crosses over the rim of your “wheel”.
Over and over again Norvus found the tracks of the one glutton or the other. They had been around the area more than he had known.
An hour or two in the rain. With the cloud blocking the sun it was hard to know. A raven perched on a tall spruce idly preened its feathers. It was here Norvus lost the trail again. Perhaps the raven was playing a trick on him to let the elk escape. Perhaps the raven was there to judge that he had done well to track the elk this far. Norvus did his hub and circled the wheel of the last tracks to no avail. Turning back he past by where the raven had lured him off. Amid the pines was more large stones. The kind he needed for traps and for chimneys. Perhaps the raven had been a friend after all. It was while gathering the stones the elk trail was spotted again. Now he was trudging with a great weight of stones. Perhaps the raven had tricked him after all. Norvus let out a soft laugh at the thought of the raven watching the now burdened man trying to catch an elk.

Bear tracks. Day old bear tracks.

“Oh great now the raven wants me to carry stones while running away from a bear.”

He laughed.

Soon he started to think the elk had turned for the fields. Sure enough it had just stepped over the traps meant for ground birds and hares. The bear had also come by here a day ago. Some of the planting had been nibbled. Perhaps the elk realized they were not in season yet so left. With both an elk and bear coming by Norvus decided he needs a pit trap. At least one, perhaps more. This meant giving up the tracking. He had gotten to see fresh tracks but he hadn’t been able to get even a distant sighting of the elk. He didn’t yet have a trap fence to drive it toward. Its greed for the field though was simple enough to predict. In fact it had circled much around one corner to that is where a pit would go. Just like he had done with the first glutton. Use its own tracks to predict its future movements. For that he was glad to have tracked it thus far. Glad to the raven had lured him in the direction that found the tracks again. Ah, raven helpful though getting a good laugh out of us too.

When the spiked pit trap was done he baited with old fat. That was for the bear to be lured onto it. The elk were already known to be drawn to the fields.

He then laid another spiked pit trap on the opposite, west, side of the fields. It was near where he had made a temporary shelter during the days of fielding. Norvus had kept pushing away from his mind combining the days he had slept in the open during the exhausting fielding with the thought of a bear wandering by.

A roar!

The bear!

He was still preparing the second spiked pit!

It was here!

Turning he couldn’t see it!

Where was it!

<save Norvus roared at>

Brygun

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 04:23:40 AM »
His mind raced for a plan. Surely he couldn’t finish this new pit trap. If he could it was near his temporary shelter spot. A place he had picked to be very defensible as a narrow path between two rows of trees. The other pit trap! It was already done. If he could lure the bear there it could be tricked into the trap. Lure. Lure! That didn’t sound like a good plan. More like slowly back away toward the pit.
His next thought was to drop the extra weight he was carrying. Supplies of carved stakes, wood, branches, spruce and other for making traps. He took several steps back. No further roar. Still no sign of the bear.
Perhaps it had roared in attacking the elk. That could be. The elk had gone west. The bear might also have been stalking the elk. Oh spirits! That meant it had been near Norvus too. Had the Raven’s trick really saved his life? By tricking him on a new path without running into the bear?
Thinking for a moment he slide forward to the supplies. If the bear was fighting the elk he might have the time to make the trap. He picked up only what he needed. He was lifting one foot to quietly move to the second pit.

There.
There the bear.
Quickly he lowered the supplies to the ground!
He dare not drop them for the noise they could make.
Slowly he backed up keeping an eye on the bear’s movements as long as he could.
He couldn’t see the bear anymore.
He turned around so he could move without stepping into his own numerous traps.
Still going quietly he moved on to get beside the first and ready spiked pit trap.

He took a breath. The bear didn’t seem to be following.

Night was deepening.

Night? The digging had taken hours. Yet it  might save his life.

A few minutes of controlling his breathing. The bear appears again. Walking slowly.

“Spear or axe?” Norvus asked himself.

He was better fighting with an axe. Spears were traditional for fighting bears. He chose the spear, for now.

The bear turned again. It seemed to be wandering a little. It was to his north west.

Looking around Norvus figures he can get out of his traps by going south east. He takes a few steps. Branches and bark crinkle. Bits fallen off the firewood during the fielding. Turning back the bear is even closer. Sneaking off won’t work. He slides back to beside the spiked pit trap. His breath is straining to go faster.

The bear’s head turns. Its eyes met his. It’s seen him!

Norvus’s own eyes droop demanding sleep. Not now!

<save Norvus bear noticed>
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 04:28:24 AM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 05:05:52 PM »
(This is sooooo not the time to be falling asleep)

anything