Topic: Problems with fishing  (Read 6617 times)

GreatGoal12

« on: July 17, 2018, 10:36:57 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have a big problem with fishing currently. It was and is my only source of food, and so far, I was doing quite decent with it. Right now it's 6 weeks to the winter season and I am spending all of my energy on building my first house all the time + fishing, when it is necessary, which was so far an enough good way to supply my efforts. Unfortunately after some time I started to get messages that the waters feel extremely hostile to me, and my guess here is that it is related to spirits being angry at me or me having a bad karma for killing so many fishes for nothing in return (I am still a new player, so don't really have a good idea except for these suppositions, so I might be wrong).

After getting first of these messages, my initial fishing place stopped working, so I started to move few tiles on the F6 map away and fish there. It worked, but I also started to get the same messages after some time. Right now I cannot fish anything at all, I already eaten all of my food that was supposed to be used in case of bad luck with fishing, but with this incredibly bad luck of not fishing anything for 20 or 30 attempts I am currently starving.

My temporary solution was that I sold few short bows for a lot of fishes in a village, but they all are going to be eaten soon, so I need solution for my problem.

Worth of note, I sacrificed 2 or 3 times a roasted pike, but it didn't helped. My fishing skill is 61 and I am using a normal fishing rod. So far it was going all fine, but now fishing seems infeasible for me.

caethan

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:03:24 AM »
Yup, the spirits are upset with you for continually catching fish without offering any sacrifice. 

You can move somewhere new where the spirits aren't mad at you.  You can try to mollify the spirits (I usually offer at least one fish any time I get a good catch, as soon as possible), but that will be hard if you can't catch any fish to mollify them with.  You can also switch to some other food supply, like hunting.

Andre

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 07:59:18 AM »
You need to sacrifice something every day, even on days that you don't fish. Catch 2 perches and a pike? Sacrifice a perch, roast the pike, eat the pike and sacrifice the other perch tomorrow and so on. Doesn't seem to matter what you sacrifice, roaches seem to work just as well as salmon. As is the case for the forest spirits where berries seem to work as well as big game fat.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »
I sacrifice to the forest spirit every day, but it's probably overkill.
What you need to do is to heed the messages about your relations to the spirits and keep on their good side. That's the long term, though.
To get out of the hole you're currently in, you'd need to either move to start afresh with new spirits of the water, switch to another food source while the spirits of the water calm down (if they do? The spirit of the water is still incredibly happy with me for the sacrifices in spring, when I fished last, and it's now autumn), or buy fish (salted/smoked/dried/roasted) in a village and sacrifice that. You can also sacrifice the last remainder of a roasted pike in the future.
Note that you can only sacrifice once per day per spirit (plus special ritual sacrifices), and the amount sacrificed doesn't matter, so a roach is as good as a salmon (or, put another way, sacrificing a whole salmon is a waste).

In addition to angering the spirits of the water, you can also over fish, in particular in small lakes, so the catches dwindle, although they recover if given time.

GreatGoal12

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »
Thank you guys for all the replies, it was very helpful.

To get out of the hole you're currently in, you'd need to either move to start afresh with new spirits of the water, switch to another food source while the spirits of the water calm down (if they do? The spirit of the water is still incredibly happy with me for the sacrifices in spring, when I fished last, and it's now autumn), or buy fish (salted/smoked/dried/roasted) in a village and sacrifice that. You can also sacrifice the last remainder of a roasted pike in the future.
Note that you can only sacrifice once per day per spirit (plus special ritual sacrifices), and the amount sacrificed doesn't matter, so a roach is as good as a salmon (or, put another way, sacrificing a whole salmon is a waste).

Oh, yeah, I have just gotten myself 32 dried breams through trade with villagers. Should I sacrifice all of them at once or only some part of them or just one? And should I do it everyday from now on? Also, where should the sacrifice take place? Should it be close to the water source or does it not matter, if the subject of sacrifice comes from a particular source (water, forest), in this case - water.

Also, does sacrificing a dried bream would have a bigger effect than sacrificing just a raw bream, since the first one is more valuable or spirits don't care about that, just as they don't with certain fish types?

In addition to angering the spirits of the water, you can also over fish, in particular in small lakes, so the catches dwindle, although they recover if given time.

That could also be the case, but I tried in many, many location with many attempts and it just stopped working. I was also fishing from a sea, because I decided to make my house close to the Njerpez cultural zone, but on the western side of that gulf in the south-eastern region of the map, so there should be a plenty of fishes.

PALU

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 06:04:03 PM »
Reread the last sentence of your first quote to find the answer to the first question and last one...

You should sacrifice daily until you're back on a good foot with the spirits targeted.

I haven't seen any difference in effect depending on where sacrifices are made: it seems the item determines the target.

GreatGoal12

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 06:28:37 PM »
Okay, I see it now, my first question was answered already, I somehow didn't read that part of your answer, but still don't see, how it's last sentence relates in any way to my last question.

I asked, if sacrificing a fish that was prepared in a certain method would grant better results than to sacrifice a raw fish of the same type, as in practice/trade the prepared fish is more valuable, or does it not matter? I guess it probably doesn't matter as with fish types, but wanted to make sure.

Okay, thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 06:30:15 PM by i3lazefuryx »

PALU

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 12:27:55 PM »
The value/amount/quality (as long as it's still edible) doesn't matter. Sami said somewhere that the value to the spirits is in the gesture rather than the value of the offering.