Topic: Do Single-Tile Islands Generate Animals?  (Read 12342 times)

June_June

« on: July 30, 2017, 08:14:07 PM »
There are several tiny islands near me, and I've constructed a trap fence on one with paw boards. There have been no catches to date. Are these islands too small to produce animals?

PALU

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 12:12:28 AM »
Animals appear everywhere (in particular birds), and I've found hares and even elks spawned on single tile islands, so foxes can presumably be spawned there as well, but it wouldn't be very frequently.
It can also be noted that trap fences do not work well with small game traps, as small game can simply run through the fence (small here <= lynx). Wolves can pass fences (jumping?) but tend to go through the trapped openings (less work?).

codyo

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 04:09:33 AM »
I don't see why not. But I trust PALU's answer. Though this doesn't exactly answer your question, I've seen a herd of reindeer spawn on a 4 tiled island.

The only the time they may not spawn on the island is when you're on that one tile zone too. Though birds and water creatures will still travel to your island.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 04:11:20 AM by codyo »

ristola

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 01:02:34 AM »
I usually settle on tiny islands and I've had an elk fall into my pit trap (that I set up in preparation for winter) in the middle of summer just like that.

Also in my current game I live on a five tile (in a line) island and set up a fox trap just for fun and forgot about it and then some week later I saw a rotting arctic fox in it, so I'm pretty sure they can spawn anywhere. Maybe they swim there, I don't know.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 11:34:30 AM »
I've never seen any purely land based animals swim, unless you call trying to get out of holes in the ice swimming. An easy UrW hunting technique is to exhaust hunt the prey by having it run back and forth along the waterline, and I've never seen them flee into the (open) water. Also, I've had elks spawn inside my trap fence (circling a lake) more than once (tracks on the inside, but none on the outside).

spamgoose

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 08:18:53 AM »
I often live on small islands and have definitely noticed animal "arrivals". I am not sure if I've ever seen it on a single square island but I believe it could happen. It's probably just a matter of math... If you are on a 4 square island, then it is 4 times more likely to have an animal spawn than a 1 square island (ignoring all the other spawning factors). Because animals move around you are quite likely to run into that animal on either island, making islands larger than 1 square seem to have more spawning.

pinetrees

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 01:12:53 PM »
As far as I'm aware animals are (sometimes) spawned in the world and travel around, this means there is some chance of getting lucky with a trap fence on a single-tile island but for more consistent trapping put a trap fence across an archipelago or between two lakes. If you're on an island I think they spawn quite rarely and animals don't seem to like swimming that much.

anything