Topic: A Very Strange Start  (Read 13327 times)

DfDevadander

« on: May 31, 2017, 04:45:14 AM »
I just started a new character in the most recent version of UrW, and there are some very strange things happening.
First, I chose the All Who Wander Are Not Lost scenario. Upon starting, the first thing I see is a dead Kaumo hunter lying in a clearing where many different fires had apparently been set, but with no other NPC around. Thinking this a bit odd, but nothing to worry about, I took his useful items and pushed him into one of the fires.
After zooming out, I see a village only a tile away so I headed there. All of the buildings were  empty of items except for the sauna building which contained a single stack consisting of several dead villagers and their items. The only two living NPCs were a man and woman. I took two screenshots of the item stacks but they are too large to attach to the post.
I don't know if this is a bug or what, but I am willing to email the game file and screenshots if Sami would like to review them to see what the deal is.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 12:48:31 PM by Sami »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 11:51:42 AM »
I see is a dead Kaumo hunter lying in a clearing where many different fires had apparently been set, but with no other NPC around. Thinking this a bit odd, but nothing to worry about.
Ooo, but did you ever read the scenario description? That explains a lot.

..."You returned home with one straggling animal to find your father dead in the dooryard surrounded by
the smoldering remains of everything you had managed to build. Your mother was gone, presumably taken."

After zooming out, I see a village only a tile away so I headed there. All of the buildings were  empty of items except for the sauna building which contained a single stack consisting of several dead villagers and their items.

Aha, here it gets glitchy. The game setting the initial scenario NPC dead must have set these too closely neighbouring NPCs dead as well. Well, we gotta adjust few conditions.

- Sami | UnReal World creator

DfDevadander

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 05:08:09 AM »
Ah, I must admit that I feel a bit foolish since I didn't read past the basic description on the scenario selection screen; I had never actually chosen that scenario before so I was a bit confused when I started up to find a burned out homestead and dead body in front of me :-X

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »
Well, it's kind of our bad that there's so much text in the game  ::)

But the latter glitchy part is to be fixed when time allows.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Paul

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 08:33:03 AM »
Sounds like an unintended feature to me. The bad people torched the whole village, not just your homestead! :)

DfDevadander

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 08:04:24 PM »
Well, it's kind of our bad that there's so much text in the game  ::)

Nonsense; I actually quite enjoy that you've taken the time to write so much story into the scenarios, as I've always loved to read and have a good backstory laid out so that the experience feels more rich and full. I say keep the amount of text currently involved in the game, and I will just do a better job of not skipping over it  :)

Sounds like an unintended feature to me. The bad people torched the whole village, not just your homestead! :)

It would seem to be the case, and perhaps the two survivors were merely doing their dead kinfolk an honor by placing them and their belongings in the sauna where they felt most comfortable in life

LaraXaby

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 05:53:04 AM »
I was always too shy to ask this question myself, but the exact same thing happened when I chose this start and wound up next to a town (haven't had it happen with the unfortunate hunting accident one; maybe it never starts me off close enough to a town). Walked into town, saw like three or four dead people in a room and noped right out of that area. Glad to know what it was all about!