Topic: [Solved. Not a bug.] Tracking down a missing punt  (Read 5077 times)

jc_rabbit

« on: March 18, 2018, 12:26:53 AM »
I cannot find my punt. Is there a way to search the save game data for where it is? While I can just craft a raft and move on. It drives me crazy to not know where my punt is.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:03:05 PM by Sami »

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 02:43:48 AM »
Check the last place you ran ashore
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

jc_rabbit

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 05:58:54 AM »
Doing a bit digging in the message logs, it seems that each message is tagged with its location.
Code: [Select]
(000000):s8ge:[T]{042A04DA}      | The mallard seems alert.
(3C5A98):s8ge:[:]{042A04DA}      | You go on shore.
(000000):s8ge:[T]{042A04DA}      | The mallard seems alert.

This allowed me to narrow down the map square of the punt. It turned out to be within an inland lake.

Somehow, moving over the zoomed out map allows your punt to sail over a land bridge. However, when in the zoomed-in mode, the land bridge will be present.

This is not intuitive when you're following the shoreline to look for a place where you "last went on shore". In this case, following the shoreline will never get you to that location.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 09:27:07 AM »
The overland map travel allows you to move to any adjacent (including diagonal) tiles of the same type (i.e. land -> land and water ->water) even if you can't do that on the zoomed in map because the path is obstructed by the other type of terrain there. It's basically a result of having the convenience of zoomed out travel at all, as it would be tricky to come up with an indication that indicates that access is blocked, at least one that isn't ugly.
It can also be noted that overland travel allows you to move into/out of fully trap enclosed areas, so if you were to take obstructions into consideration you'd have to block trap caused ones as well.