Topic: Insufficient unity  (Read 6065 times)

marginoferror

« on: March 21, 2018, 04:43:12 PM »
I started playing again with 3.5 beta 2 after a long ways away, and I'm halfway through the year but have not learned any new rituals. The wiki page for rituals says that the system was totally overhauled for 3.5 but I haven't been able to find any info on whether this affected the "unity with the world".

Has the "unity with the world" system changed? Either way, what can I do to increase my chance of learning new rituals?

koteko

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 05:06:20 PM »
You get new spells via quests. So make sure to do quests regularly :)

PALU

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 05:35:25 PM »
And "unity" is achieved through sacrificing using the general sacrifice ritual you start with, so you can get it, but as koteko said, it won't enable getting new rituals anymore.

caius

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 06:02:38 PM »
It has been about 6 months for my character and I've only ever gotten 1 new ritual.  This is despite visit all the Reemi and Driik villages.  I am very rarely encountering quest-givers.  And when I have, it has been collecting branches, stones, etc. 

marginoferror

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 07:16:32 PM »
Interesting! Thank you for that info.

Is this a quest reward in addition to "a lesson in tracking" or something, or is it an explicit quest reward (the actual reward is "teach you a new ritual")?

Is the best way to find quests to make rounds through villages and settlements, asking people how they are doing?

PALU

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 08:27:10 PM »
Learning new rituals is indeed rather slow (which I don't think is bad). My character is about 4 years in, and there are a fair number of rituals I know exist, but haven't been offered (including two of the spirit ones).

The only way I know of to get quests is to ask people how they are doing. You can occasionally get "lost character" quests in the wilderness by talking to woodsmen, but apart from that you get quests in villages.
Most quests in villages are "public", i.e. when talking to someone in that village they'll direct you to the quest giver, but some are private, i.e. revealed only if you happen to talk to that specific character.

Most quests give mundane rewards in the form of credits for goods (not animals!). Some give training (my second favorite type) in skills, some give spells (my favorite), some provide the location of a treasure, and a couple give specific rewards that seem to be essentially the same for every instance of that quest.

MrMotorhead

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 09:11:28 PM »
Once you have enough wealth, start carrying high quality knives and arrows around with you.  I have received three new spells from characters that want to trade them for nice knives or arrows.  These quests won't be known by everyone in the village, but the quest giver will walk right up to you and start talking.

PALU

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 08:11:47 AM »
Once you have enough wealth, start carrying high quality knives and arrows around with you.  I have received three new spells from characters that want to trade them for nice knives or arrows.  These quests won't be known by everyone in the village, but the quest giver will walk right up to you and start talking.
I've received a few "I like your stuff" quests, but I initiated the conversation in every instance. However, my quest thirsting characters try to speak to everyone (except kids) in the hope of getting a quest (speaking to women is rather pointless as far as I know, as I have yet to find any giving a quest that isn't public, and the single quest I've found with a female quest giver was public. Thus, I speak to the women for role playing reasons).

anything