Development > Development News

Craftable fishing nets and more

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sami:

--- Quote from: Plotinus on June 14, 2023, 06:58:22 AM ---Can the half crafted net be picked up and moved around or is it attached to the tile where it was started?

--- End quote ---

It's attached to the tile. This is partly due to mechanics, but also in real life one would prefer to plan the demanding crafts so that you won't be changing your workplace.

JP_Finn:

--- Quote from: Brygun on June 14, 2023, 09:25:55 AM ---Some general comments moved here from elsewhere

= Birch bark is a seasonal item so its locking in net making to those seasons for new characters. You couldnt start a winter game and make one as you can't get birch bark.

= Knitting needles while used are an optional item. I've made a landing net without one. Plenty of folks have.

= Birch bark to what.. put the rocks in?  :o Nets are literally cordage so you can tie rocks on just fine. I guess the birch bark helps because they had a reason to do it. Plenty of nets around the world made without it.

= It would be great if the recipe system allowed optional items to have their own skill modifiers for that line. If that were the case then net making without needle or bark could happen. A base negative skill would have offsets on the optional needle and birk bark lines.

Example

.Net. /%-30/ 8h
{Yarn} =300= [remove]
{Rock} (10) [remove]
{Knitting needle} [optional] /%20/
{Birch-bark}  #2# [optional] /%10/ [remove]

So if you had none of the extra: -30 on skill likely an inferior net

If you had knitting needle but no bark because its winter: -10 on skill might manage decent

If you had both needle and bark: 0 on skill so best chance to make fine

--- End quote ---

Knitting != netting
 ;D

Like most tasks, tools can make them easier, faster, both, and sometimes even enable the task in first place...

Natural fibre cords tend to stretch when wet, especially when soaked; the birchbark was used to make a pocket to hold the weights from coming loose when collecting the net up from water.

Vahvapito:
Looks great! Having to shop for nets was always the most tedious part of fishing.

Since nets will be craftable, would it be possible to also make other kinds of fish traps? I'm thinking about small basket type traps (like the "katiska"). These could be crafted much faster than nets when time is of essence but they also get you less fish in the long run.

And I know its a long shot but any chance larger stationary fish traps could be included? Liistekatiska, a large wish trap made with thin strips of wood in shallow water forming a shape that lures in fish, was quite common fish trap historically in the region.

JP_Finn:

--- Quote from: Vahvapito on June 16, 2023, 10:52:14 PM ---Looks great! Having to shop for nets was always the most tedious part of fishing.

Since nets will be craftable, would it be possible to also make other kinds of fish traps? I'm thinking about small basket type traps (like the "katiska"). These could be crafted much faster than nets when time is of essence but they also get you less fish in the long run.

And I know its a long shot but any chance larger stationary fish traps could be included? Liistekatiska, a large wish trap made with thin strips of wood in shallow water forming a shape that lures in fish, was quite common fish trap historically in the region.

--- End quote ---

Shallow water fish trap would be nice indeed.

Sami:

--- Quote from: Vahvapito on June 16, 2023, 10:52:14 PM ---And I know its a long shot but any chance larger stationary fish traps could be included? Liistekatiska, a large wish trap made with thin strips of wood in shallow water forming a shape that lures in fish, was quite common fish trap historically in the region.

--- End quote ---

It's not a long shot, actually. I've been planning to take up on that right after the net code is finished. If we are lucky they'll be included in the same release.
We featured making slats (liiste) in 3.80 so more proper use for them is to follow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version