Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: What's Going On In Your Unreal World?
« Last post by Sotimieli on Today at 01:02:11 PM »
Created a new side character for a challenge. Wanted to do a vegetarian pacifist run. No killing, hunting or fishing or eating meat in any form. Only exception would be milk.

Two weeks in stumbled upon an abandoned settlement with a sauna and a small cottage. Settled there and traded handcrafts, my weapons and all my clothing for two sheep for milk.

Settled at the abandoned site that happened to be on a 3 tile island already cleared of trees. Perfect spot for agriculture.

Started in spring and had to scrape by eating leaves and grass to start. Milk helps immensely and now onlu 15% staving :D
Just wanted to post on this- i think an additional key for modded menus is a good idea.

I implemented my own version in my old mod extender project, using the ~ key would bring up an external menu with mods and their designated key. then, when one of the keys gets activated, it would get the menu def information and write it into the games menu def files, save, and then macro the keys into that menu, so you dont need to manually open up the crafting menu and all that, allows for infinite menus, as you're able to exchange mod menus with a single key (i used Z)

Could probably be done with a simple keyboard/autohotkey interface if you want to avoid UI, which is the way i had mine setup.

Idk if this is useful to anyone, but to give you an idea of how it works in code:

Code: [Select]
private void ModManager_KeyDown(object sender, KeyEventArgs e) // Hide/Show extended menus
        {
            if (e.KeyCode == Keys.Escape)
            {
                this.Hide();
                //MainForm.Show();
                //WindowHandling.SetForegroundWindow(DefaultData.URW.MainWindowHandle);
            }
            else
            {
                foreach (Keys k in AssignedKeys.Keys)
                {
                    if ((e.KeyCode | e.Modifiers) == k && !PlayerM.IsViewingRecipes && PlayerM.IsViewingWorld)
                    {
                        MainForm.GameEventHandler.HotkeyFunctions.RecipeCheck();
                        string GameKey = AssignedKeys[k][0].Split('-')[1];
                        string Menu = AssignedKeys[k][0].Split('*')[1];
                        File.WriteAllText(DefaultData.GameDirectory + Files.DefaultMenudef, AssignedKeys[k][0]);   // <---writes selected menu key to menu def then performs macro to access menu
                        switch (Menu)
                        {
                            case "MAKE": // Shift M, +
                                WindowHandling.PostMessage(RWMain.TargetProcess.MainWindowHandle, WindowHandling.WM_CHAR, '+', IntPtr.Zero);
                                Thread.Sleep(25);
                                WindowHandling.PostMessage(RWMain.TargetProcess.MainWindowHandle, WindowHandling.WM_CHAR, GameKey.ToCharArray()[0], IntPtr.Zero);
                                break;
                            case "COOKERY": // alt C, s + c
                                WindowHandling.PostMessage(RWMain.TargetProcess.MainWindowHandle, WindowHandling.WM_CHAR, 's', IntPtr.Zero);
                                Thread.Sleep(50);
                                WindowHandling.PostMessage(RWMain.TargetProcess.MainWindowHandle, WindowHandling.WM_CHAR, 'c', IntPtr.Zero);
                                Thread.Sleep(25);
                                WindowHandling.PostMessage(RWMain.TargetProcess.MainWindowHandle, WindowHandling.WM_CHAR, GameKey.ToCharArray()[0], IntPtr.Zero);
                                break;
                        }
                        this.Hide();
                        //MainForm.Show();
                        //WindowHandling.SetForegroundWindow(DefaultData.URW.MainWindowHandle);
                    }
                }
            }// else if ()
        }
Mod Releases / Re: [Outdated][3.71][3.63][3.62] URWCharacterMenu v1.0.4b
« Last post by Night on Today at 05:53:47 AM »
This mod seems to be dead and all, but does anyone know if it can be replicated in some way? At least just the character editing part. I didn't use it to cheat or anything, I just liked to touch upon rolled characters before finalizing creation process. Saves you a ton of time rolling for characters you want.

I'll consider remaking it for the current patch, or at least some of it. I've tried picking up work on my URW stuff a few times but, haven't had the drive to get anything done.

Welp, time to also throw in my two cents - I'm one of the old legacy people who have purchased it, back in ye olden days, so I feel like I've got some experience under my belt. I eventually stumbled upon the BAC mod while looking on how to enhance my gameplay, given I've been playing UrW for quite a while, and as a result I basically never play without it anymore. Why? The game as it stands, is what you make of it: no overarching story, no fun little quirkiness to uncover, just pure, unadulterated survival, and that is great. HOWEVER - to be long time invested into something like that, the game needs to have enough content to support the long gamespan we are talking about in those runs, which is where the BAC mod comes in.

It appears that the game as of right now is simply limited in amount of keyspaces available to properly distribute all the menus and submenus when one wants to run the game with a big addition mod like BAC. Is it a problem now for vanilla? No, but depending on how UrW is going to be developing moving forward, this would eventually become an issue either way, simply because there is only so many combinations of menu and submenu buttons available, and a mod that adds quite a lot of things faithful to the setting has managed to approach this limit.

I am however very much agreeing with Erkka that it should be modders making sure the mod is compatible with the game evolving, but since the amount of mod entries have grown to absolutely massive sizes, with Brygun basically curating the quite huge BAC mod all by himself, this is gonna take a good while. And until either a deeper submenu system is coded in that allows to have an extra level deeper of menus to access, or an entirely different mod make menu as requested, where the entirety of mods can be placed in, this is also going to repeat itself - And this takes time. BAC wasn't even done fully converting the entries to the by then still out 3.83 when 3.84 dropped from what I've seen, as I have seen still additions just days prior the new update coming. And I have to say, it does not feel unreasonable to make a request towards the developers, accomodating the ever growing modding community because of the games limits. When BAC has already reached the point of having to scrap portations, as well as fusing components like nails and rivets, then that only really shows that this can truly become an issue going forward.
Runaway slave starts in Njerpez camp. It makes perfect sense to have spring there too. For immersion, and eventual takeover of said camp.
After that, I continue along happily with using the mod.
As a player, when I'm in the middle of a longer modding project and some of my items are no longer compatible, I just add a new temporary item to convert what I have into what I need.

Like this:

Code: [Select]
.Stoney arrowhead. "Stone arrowhead" [effort:0] *CARPENTRY* |0| /1m/ [patch:5]
// migrate old arrowheads
{arrowhead} [remove] [patchwise]

This bit of code took all the old modded arrowheads which didn't work with the new arrows code, and very quickly converted them all into the new vanilla stone arrowheads.
Disagree on Runaway Slave as you have run off into the random wilds.

Maybe on the "not all who wander are lost" and "Abandoned camp" as those are temporary places that may have picked locations for a variety of reasons from long term to its dark and they camped their quickly. Water should be close within a few tiles but usually is. ~3 World map tiles

High probability for the Lonely settler as they invested into buildings. Water by spring or other water should be within same (spring) or next world map tiles.

What needs to be done to fix that? I see two main alternatives;

1. The mod is updated to make it compatible with the latest version of the game
2. The vanilla game is modified to keep the new version of the game compatible with an old version of a mod

The third is what is in this thread.

3. Provide a separate make menu for modders from the vanilla.

What then happens is that when there is an update and the resulting incompatible is the one thing the mod community needs most: Time.

It also lets a mod user decide when to take in a mod update, since they are all manual installs. Thus they can finish a many step build process rather than finding out their mid process resources or tools are useless.

>>>

Example:

A player in the middle of long game in the middle of a long build cycle, like lamellar armor, can still access for that time the mod's build steps while other players can start the vanilla process.

In the case of lamellar armor various steps including the following recipes:
ore scoop, roasted ore, charcoal, smelter, smelted ore, anvil, hammer, ingot, then drill and cords

If any player blacksmithing is started some or all of those will get duplicated in the vanilla. Given the many build steps a player could be anywhere along that process.

>>>>

On what happens to the BAC when I go it was already built in that after 30 days of inactivity a new caretaker may take it over with the same terms. Not only was that planned for there was already a handoff once already to Rudy. I'm currently willing to hand off again at the moment too. The BAC though heavily my work is thought of a community owned item. Much of the work comes from the shoulders of people like Rain, Endive and Bouddia. While their exact recipes had to be changed the principles and concepts they set up are in the DNA of the mod.

Dedicated hotkey for mods would make sense.
But would that outrule current option to touch up/edit vanilla recipes?
I like that I don’t need to add new menudef to add say wooden mugs or making stakes from boards, just add those in the vanilla diy_glossary.

I would prefer the “easy editing” stay as is.

Also for reading all the recipes at game launch, it’d make testing mods a massive pain. Edit, save mod. Shutdown, start game. Find a need to edit further.  Repeat.
No thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10