Topic: Trapping,am i doing it right?  (Read 11028 times)

Twezzk

« on: December 03, 2017, 05:57:03 PM »
Hello everyone!
I have a 50% trapping skill and trap mainly foxes with paw board fox traps and often use "Hunters request to catch a fox" ritual.

So this is the way i set my paw board traps:
I pick one title on world map and zoom.i set 2 traps in that world tiltle.zoom out and move 5 world titles on world map (5 titles away from traps that were previously set),zoom and set another 2 traps on that world title.Again move 5 tiles away from that location,zoom and set  2 more traps.So that means there are 6 set traps (3 trap locations,2 traps per location) and these 6 traps make one trapping area.I then move mabye 30 or 40 world titles and do the same thing.Zoom in,set 2 traps,move 5 world titles,zoom,set 2 traps,move 5 world titles,zoom,set 2 traps.So that makes 6 traps in total with 3 locations with 2 traps on each locations.This makes on trapping AREA.

The thing is that i read that if trap is badly set it could even make animal run away from the trap.So i ask you if i have 6 traps per AREA and set 5 of them perfectly and 1 awfuly,will it make the animal(in this case the fox) run away and avoid even the ones i perfectly set?

Should i set more than 1 trap on one world title

PoisonPen

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 06:42:06 PM »
You're better off finding a large isthmus on a coast and building a trap fence to completely isolate it.  Then poke holes in it every 10 or so spaces and set your traps at those spaces.  What I usually do is put a pit trap along the fence line, and either a light lever trap or a fox board on the *outside* of the fence line, right behind the pit trap, with fencing on either side of it.

xFx
xxPxx

That way anything which spawns in the area you've cut off will eventually run into one of your traps.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 07:10:12 PM »
I think a poorly set trap will just cause the animals to avoid the trap, not the whole world tile. I tend to enclose a single tile lake in a trap fence and use bear traps on 3 openings on each side. In addition to that I have a small number of paw boards near my homestead to catch foxes that come near. I may also have a paw board or two inside the trap fence.

A trap fence blocks large animals from entering, but does nothing to keep smaller ones out, so foxes and hares can readily pass through the trap fence. I'm not sure about wolves: they can get into and out of pig fences in villages, but the also tend to get caught in my bear traps around the lake, so they may be lazy and prefer to go through the opening rather than through/over the fence.

I would recommend against PoisonPen's trap suggestion as traps that are part of a trap fence or trap array but targets animals of the wrong size acts as a barrier to the incorrectly sized animals. Thus, an enclosure of snares around the farm plots will keep large animals like elks out as well.
In PoisonPen's case the fox trap MAY catch foxes, but it also blocks elks etc. from reaching the pit trap. The pit trap, meanwhile might deter a fox from entering the fox trap both by blocking the path (although the fox can still go through the fence), and by possible deterrence if poorly set (I don't know if poorly set traps have any effect on animals of the wrong size, though).

JEB Davis

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 12:12:50 AM »
I have good luck just setting randomly distributed snare, fox, light lever, and various deadfall traps in my home tile. However, this is just for "supplemental" food and the traps don't produce enough to live off of by themselves. My characters are typically tailored for active hunting and have low trapping skills.

Some traps are baited, some are not, and both seem to catch animals, especially birds in the snares.

When wolves come, it's the heavy deadfall traps that catch them, and I always regret not having enough of those deadfall traps because wolves are the only animals that I've had come to my home area and kill my characters. If possible, I build near a lake shore with easy to access small islands nearby that I can escape to if wolves come in warm weather and hope they fall into the traps.

Seddrik

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »
I build a fence round my homestead, with occasional covered pits.  Rarely catches anything unless I am away for a long time.

I place snares and fox traps in a line near my house... and catch stuff all the time... WHILE I am home but not when I am gone.

Bait does not seem to make a difference.  It should, though.

anything