Poll

How did you discover UnReal World?

A friend told me
41 (4.5%)
I heard people talking about it at gaming event/concert/bar etc.
2 (0.2%)
I saw a let's play video on YouTube, or live gameplay on twitch etc.
117 (12.9%)
I read about it on some other gaming forums
80 (8.8%)
I read a review on some gaming site
36 (4%)
Being a roguelike fan, I found it on some roguelike site
118 (13%)
I actively searched the net for a game like this
174 (19.1%)
I was browsing the net for something else and found it by accident
60 (6.6%)
I've known UrW for so long that I don't actually remember
131 (14.4%)
Steam
124 (13.6%)
By some other way (you can reply here to tell your story)
26 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 905

Topic: How did you discover UnReal World? -- 10 choice poll  (Read 111655 times)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« on: April 24, 2017, 08:24:58 PM »
Here's the good old poll reposted here at the new forums.
Let us know how you ended up into the UnReal World.
Also, feel free to reply here to tell your story.
(You may also consider to find and copy&paste your reply from the old forums poll thread.)
- Sami | UnReal World creator

nahkiss

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:12:36 PM »
I'm not entirely sure but I think I found this game thru Mikrobitti -magazine. Must have been somewhere between 2000-2004.
I still have the original money transfer receipt from bank when I registered the game back then, that would probably have the date.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:14:59 PM by nahkiss »

irontide

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »
I first heard of URW on the Roguelike Radio episode about it.

URWelo

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »
Gotta be honest, I can't even remember how I originally found the game. I think my first exposure might've been through Mikrobitti too - maybe the game was featured as a "game of the day" or something. Whatever it was, I downloaded the game without a second thought, being a big fan of roguelikes. Fell in love with the game, but the limited lifetime in the shareware version just wasn't doing it for me, so after a while I sent my registration letter through snail mail, I believe along with cash money (technically forbidden, but this was before convenient online payments, so meh, sue me), and soon enough I was the proud owner of a registered copy of URW. Felt pretty good to have my name displayed in the main menu and everything.

Fast forward a decade and a half, and just yesterday I rolled a new character. The main menu doesn't display my name anymore, but the magic's definitely still there.

Brygun

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 03:52:22 AM »
I vaguely remember someone mentioning it. This was pre-steam. At the time I was between work so a free to try game with a recommendation was an 'okay lets try'. Turned out I liked it. Paid into becoming a lifetime member. Did a simple mod. Annoyed Saami for a while every time I did a minor update to the mod. We eventually just realized its better to link to the mod thread in the forum so he wouldn't have to do coding every... few days... or few hours.  ;)

Reverie

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
I think I may have seen UrW in RogueBasin first (like five years ago), when I was actively searching for roguelikes in the survival genre.

wonderingmonster

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 11:14:32 AM »
I think it was on a shareware cd I bought 20+ years ago, before I had internet. I didn't start playing it properly until about 5 years ago when I found it was still being developed.

Infirito

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 11:30:46 AM »
First saw this game at Jef's 10/12 hour streams, found a pirated version after that, played it for 6 more hours and bought the lifetime membership the next day. :P

rumpel

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »
I first heard about the game on the Bay12 board. :)

Crisamie

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »
I found the game by doing a google search for a game that was similar to one I was playing. I hated the way the developer of the other game was implementing things and when people asked him what he was doing, he said "It's my game and I will do whatever the hell I want. I don't care what people want." So that statement prompted me to do searches to find a game similar to it. I found UnW and I have not been disappointed.

Guhndahb

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »
Rock, Paper, Shotgun did a post about it a long time ago.  That was the first I'd heard of it.

kerberos

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 10:30:26 PM »
Had to go and search email archives when I bought UrW. Seems to have been in summer of 2007. So it is 10 year anniversary of full game for me. That doesn't however tell when I found UrW first time, I played it quite long time (years) with demo before Windows version came, and I decided it is time to make next big step in this relationship. It is nice to get messages now and then about changes in forums and new version, it always brings me back to this game.

beetle237

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 01:16:21 AM »
I remember seeing it on the old download.com site, when I was looking for games to run on my Dell with integrated graphics. Must've been 1999 or so - I was a latecomer :)

Pongo

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 03:59:20 AM »
Trying to remember what site it was, but I know it was a game forum for some game way back when

torakfade

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 08:21:58 PM »
Oh dear... I have no idea, though I clearly remember 2.80 coming out and me being all excited about it so I must have found out about UrW around 2002-2003 ...

It's been 15 years already  :o

anything