UnReal World > Gameplay questions

Homeland Robbers (Spoiler)

(1/4) > >>

spamgoose:
Does anyone know if there is anything that can increase the odds of finding the robbers in this quest?

I've been wandering around the bush for days searching every square in the quest area, and still nothing. Luckily, there is a persistent eagle-owl so my dogs bark in alarm frequently to give me false hope.

The description called them forest robbers, so I hoped that maybe that would limit them to forest. However, I have no idea if forest includes all treed terrain (e.g. heathland, spruce mire), or just things with forest in the name. Also, this may have no bearing whatsoever. I started with all the forest named squares (or at least as many as I can keep track of) and am now exploring all the rest with trees.. which is all of them.

PALU:
"Forest Robber" should mean their "tribe" is vagabond (rather than one of the neighboring "real" tribes). It's very useful to keep track of what kind of robbers you're looking for, as it's not at all uncommon in this version for multiple robber gangs to be present in the same area, so if you've e.g. found a group of Kuikka Tribe robbers you know that's not the ones you're looking for (a bug in the current version causes too many robber gangs to spawn, especially if you decline to take up such quests).

The only way to find robbers that I know of is to search each and every tile in the rather large target area, and they're very rarely visible on the overland map. I think they tend to have a shelter in their "home" tile, though.
The way I go about looking for robbers is to pass back and forth over the target area like weaving a tapestry, one line at a time. I enter each tile, look forward, turn 180 degrees, look backwards, exit out, turn 180 degrees, walk one tile, zoom in, ... This takes something like 2-5 days to cover the area (stopping when it gets dark: I tend to use markers to indicate where I stopped), but it's still possible to miss the robbers. When looking for the robbers I typically use the beggar tactic, i.e. my character isn't equipped with my top gear, but rather junk I'm prepared to surrender to the robbers if they catch me. When I've found them (robbed or escaped) I typically mark the location, round up a bunch of companions, and return to participate in a sorry spectacle of death, friendly fire, and companions that refuse to help while their companions are fighting for their lives (some of this fixed in the next version).

If you're unlucky the robbers are in spruce infested forest, in which case you probably need luck to find them. In other terrain the visibility is good enough that you probably have to be unlucky to miss them (provided you're moving slightly to see past big obstacles).

spamgoose:
Thanks for the insights. They are actually seal tribe but were described as forest robbers so I hoped that would limit the options. The area is entirely spruce mire, conifer forest and heathland, so pretty brutal. I might not want to find them if my companions decide to turn tail.

PALU:
It takes a lot for companions to flee: they usually die long before that. However, that doesn't mean they won't be busy counting how fast they can twiddle their thumbs or how much fluff they have in their navels...

It's usually better to hire companions after locating the robbers, as you then don't have the risk of them deciding the contract is up just before you're going to engage the enemy.

I had one very brutal robber fight where I was told there were something like 3 robbers, so I engaged them with 3 companions and a dog, which should result in reasonable odds. However, they turned out to be 6 or 7, and as far as I understand they were actually two groups from the same tribe camped 100 meters from each other. I lost two of the 3 companions (one companion bleeding out after the fight, and you can't do anything about it...) and the dog, plus having my own character rendered unable to walk (through friendly fire), but somehow actually succeeded in killing the enemy.

spamgoose:
Yea I am regretting having hired the companions first. For the reasons you say, but also because they tend to get lost.

I was doing long linear sweeps.. starting at the bottom of the quest circle, going straight up, then straight west-east, then little slices up and down. My companions get falling behind so I had to wait for them, but sometimes I'd impatient click through the "they will be left behind message" without thinking, when zooming out again, and would have to zoom back in and find them. One companion got lost and I didn't realize it right away... took 2 days to find him again. Still no robbers.

Instead of long linear sweeps, I am now doing the zoom in, look around, zoom out tactic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version