Topic: Quest: punt  (Read 10744 times)

Jinxed

« on: September 10, 2017, 09:59:37 PM »
So, I got a quest to help a guy with getting a new punt.
Guy demands for tree to be cut down during the rain.
Problem is - it is a snowing season.

So, is quest a failure by default?

PALU

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 11:19:27 PM »
Without knowing for certain, I think any kind of precipitation is sufficient. You can tell if a log is a "cut during rain" one or a "dry cut" one by whether it stacks with a "dry cut (or rain cut) one. Thus, if you have two logs that do not stack, one of them is suitable and the other one is not.

Also, any suitable log will do: if you have one in store you can use that one.

Plotinus

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 12:21:31 PM »
yeah, snow works

koteko

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 01:47:49 PM »
Without knowing for certain, I think any kind of precipitation is sufficient. You can tell if a log is a "cut during rain" one or a "dry cut" one by whether it stacks with a "dry cut (or rain cut) one. Thus, if you have two logs that do not stack, one of them is suitable and the other one is not.

Also, any suitable log will do: if you have one in store you can use that one.

Wow, didn't know that. I wonder if there are other effects, eg a rain-cut tree might make worse firewood (that takes longer to be fired up)?

PALU

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 02:12:26 PM »
I think the two kinds of logs were introduced explicitly for quest purposes, but appeared in the game a bit earlier than quests did. As far as I know there is no difference between the kinds of logs apart from quest suitability.
In real life cutting a tree while it's raining or dry makes no real difference. It's more important to protect the logs from getting wet after they're cut down than a little rain during the cutting. One important cause of damp in wood is from the ground, in particular if the log is lying in deep moss, so getting a space between the ground and the log (i.e. by placing it on thick branch pieces) is probably as important as providing a "roof" above it. You should also remove the bark from the log both to get it to dry faster and to keep tree burrowing insects in check.
It can also be mentioned that one historical way of transporting timber for cutting into boards (much later than the UrW timeline) was to dump them into rivers and tend the logs (pushing them out again as they got stuck, dismantling pileups, etc.) as they floated down river towards the lumber yards, and the timber didn't take much damage from that treatment.

Jinxed

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 02:51:27 PM »
I've been told that snow counts as rain for purposes of that quest.
I will verify that later.

caius

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:23:18 PM »

I too never knew that.  Is that why I get trunks that don't stack?  I've only ever had 2 different stacks of trunks.  I also haven't paid attention to how/when I get unstackable logs. 

anything