Topic: [3.83]"Pick up and wield" function doesn't work.  (Read 613 times)

Ezhe

« on: March 04, 2024, 07:09:00 PM »
I just noticed that now I can't use the combination of "alt"+"," keys to pick up and wield the weapon on ground at the same time. Actually, before v3.83 update, this key combination couldn't work if the item you want to pick up and wield is an arrow. I don't know if it's designed so or bug, but now this function is just not working for all kinds of items.

Ezhe

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 07:14:17 PM »
This brings some little disadvantages in fighting, since it takes two turns to pick up and wield the weapon that slips off your hand during the fight.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 01:35:11 AM »
Can you confirm you tried with Ctrl+,
Not Alt or g. I’ll check myself later too.

Ezhe

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 02:59:01 AM »
Can you confirm you tried with Ctrl+,
Not Alt or g. I’ll check myself later too.

Yes, just tried. Combinations involved with "ctrl" or "g" don't respond. At least not for me. I'm not sure if they're valid commands. I also tried it with another keyboard and got the same result.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 07:16:12 PM »
I just noticed that now I can't use the combination of "alt"+"," keys to pick up and wield the weapon on ground at the same time. Actually, before v3.83 update, this key combination couldn't work if the item you want to pick up and wield is an arrow. I don't know if it's designed so or bug, but now this function is just not working for all kinds of items.

Tried it (on Windows build) and "ctrl" and "," works on my end. Ezhe, you speak of "alt" and pick up key, but it's ctrl you should use.
If this just typo and you actually tried it with ctrl?

ctrl and (alternate pick up key) g doesn't seem to work at my end either, but I'm not sure if it's new thing - or just my bad/overlook from the past.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Ezhe

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 04:27:19 PM »

Tried it (on Windows build) and "ctrl" and "," works on my end. Ezhe, you speak of "alt" and pick up key, but it's ctrl you should use.
If this just typo and you actually tried it with ctrl?

ctrl and (alternate pick up key) g doesn't seem to work at my end either, but I'm not sure if it's new thing - or just my bad/overlook from the past.

Sorry, I was wrong about the combination. It should be "ctrl" + ",". But it still doesn't work by my end (Windows 10, ASNI keyboard).

At first, I thought it's my keyboard's problem, however, "ctrl" + "," functions normaly after I converted the game back to v3.82 to try it out. Since it works properly by your end on the current version, I guess it should not be the game's, either.

Maybe some uncommen conflicts of settings. I don't know how many people have encountered this issue.

kirfkin

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 06:41:48 PM »
I can verify that 'ctrl + ,' worked for me on 3.83.

It does not, however, replace either slot if you currently have two items equipped.

Ezhe

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 07:16:31 PM »
Alright. This is werid. Just tried it on another computer and it worked... It should be some rare kind of problem with that device of mine itself after all. Now the strange thing is why it works on previous versions on that device.

Still have no clue about this issue... I guess I will try updating some environment- or library-things. Not sure if I can fix it eventually, but I hope this post could at least provide some hints to anyone with the same issue.

Plotinus

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 10:37:16 AM »
What keyboard layout do you use to play URW? Is it an English US layout or some other one? I remember a long time ago I had a different issue with Hungarian keyboard layout that Sami had to fix for me.

Ezhe

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2024, 01:07:04 AM »
What keyboard layout do you use to play URW? Is it an English US layout or some other one? I remember a long time ago I had a different issue with Hungarian keyboard layout that Sami had to fix for me.

Thank you for the idea. It's American layout (ANSI keyboard). I actually thought about the layout types, too, so I tested that keyboard on another computer and it worked. So the factors of keyboard types or drivers are excluded. The problem should be more likely with that computer itself, on which the command doesn't work.

A funny thing I discovered in one of my attempts to fix this problem is that I can't assign "ctrl"+"," as a shortcut key of the system or any software on that computer, however they become assignable after changing the system language to any other language than English (UK,US... no matter what type of English it is).

Changing system language doesn't fix the issue in game, though. From a positive perspective, it helps locating where the root of the problem is, I guess.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2024, 07:35:00 PM »
Now the strange thing is why it works on previous versions on that device.

I can only think it's SDL library issue as with this version (3.83) we've got updated SDL in use.
SDL does the keyboard input handling within the game.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything