Topic: Travel time raft vs. walking?  (Read 1003 times)

TMagurowitz

« on: December 28, 2023, 09:58:52 PM »
Is rafting faster than walking or is storage capacity the only perk? Like to travel in my playthroughs and I'm considering whether to get from Driik to Kaumo by foot or along the southern coast.

dangerousbrick

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 10:15:01 PM »
In my experience, using a raft is slower. Like, REALLY slow. Punt seems more or less equivalent to walking. During winter, if you don't have skis, swimming in a punt will be faster. So, for long-distance travel walking seems to be the best option.

TMagurowitz

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 12:33:55 AM »
Yeah I thought time goes by fast when I'm rafting. That's cool about the punt, I kinda thought they were more or less pointless to trade for but maybe not. Do you know a punt's carrying capacity compared to the raft?

dangerousbrick

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 01:03:45 AM »
Old wiki info suggests that a raft can hold up to 16000 lbs, and a punt 6000lbs. But it seems like they both can only hold 40 stacks of different items. I found out the hard way: after raiding a Njerp village and trying to load 100 individual pieces of clothing onto my raft. The weight was obviously under 16000 lbs... Still, I had to do 2 trips :-\

Galgana

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 01:37:46 AM »
But it seems like they both can only hold 40 stacks of different items. I found out the hard way: after raiding a Njerp village and trying to load 100 individual pieces of clothing onto my raft.
If only those njerps had also owned livestock for you to steal... Pack animals have a stack cap of 20.
But there's also a cap for how many NPCs can occupy the same tile, which can be a problem when you're switching between wilderness/local zoom maps with a long train of leashed animals in tow.

Feriogic

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 12:44:34 PM »
What's the maximum number of different items or stacks that both a raft and a punt can hold, and how does it impact inventory management during long-distance travels?
:)

PALU

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 10:56:06 AM »
@dangerousbrick already mentioned the vehicle max stack size being 40, and I think that's correct.

You can manage/manipulate these limits by making use of the PC max inventory stack capacity as well, so you place 40 (or, for more ease, slightly less) stacks of light items into your PC inventory and the heavy stacks on the vehicle.

In the case of looted clothing, you may want to spend a few days turning the smallest pieces of clothing into bandages to reduce the number of stacks (assuming you have a use for a lot of bandages, but what other use do you have for huge piles of damaged clothing).

In the extreme case you may even fight your inner pack rat and leave some of the most useless stuff behind for a future trip to the area (that's likely never to happen). I know from my own experience that this is really hard to do, though: If it ain't nailed down it has to come with me (unless I can pull out the nails, in which case those items come as well).

DokoShery

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 12:30:26 PM »
How does the inventory management of a punt and a raft, particularly their maximum number of different items or stacks, impact long-distance travels, considering the stack limits mentioned by other users?