Topic: [Fixed - 3.82] Villagers accept ridiculous num of same items if traded in one go  (Read 3646 times)

Senthe

« on: November 25, 2023, 08:10:04 PM »
If you sell villagers too many boards, loop snares, or pretty much too much of anything, they stop accepting this item in trades and say "no thanks, we don't need more X".

However they don't consider this limit at all if this is the first trade done using this material. So it's possible to e.g. gather 300 boards, take all tradeable items from the entire village, and trade them all for those 300 boards in one huge barter. Afterwards they will of course not accept boards in any future barters, but this first massive barter will always go through.

I believe this is an unintended exploit, and it would be more reasonable if even in the first trade villagers already enforced some limits like "we don't need this many X, we can accept 20 of them for this trade, but the rest of this trade you must pay in some other items".
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 11:25:35 AM by Sami »

paulkorotoon

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 06:21:15 PM »
This exploit is present at least for a couple years. I believe it doesn't need to be fixed in any way, as it would take away legit options like trading roasted meat of the very first caught animal for something else.

I guess it takes zero effort just not to use it for flooding settlements with boards/loop snares/etc.
Biggest Russian UrW fan

Senthe

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 07:10:12 PM »
I guess it takes zero effort just not to use it for flooding settlements with boards/loop snares/etc.

That's the nature of all exploits, they take "zero effort just not to use" them. There are still plenty of valid reasons why many people prefer exploits to get patched, even in single-player games where there is no competitive aspect to it.

Anna

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2023, 01:09:23 AM »
I think it is fair if players experiment with how much they can "push" the game...what they can get away with. Rewarding experimentation is good game design imo.

Also consider that some people may get bad luck with their starting items and using boards/loops trading is needed to just get the basic things needed to survive (say punt and net for fisherman or shovel/sickle for farmers).

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 11:24:51 AM »
Trading hundreds of boards at one go isn't often plausible because since they are too much of a burden to carry around, but nevertheless the said exploit exists.
This is fixed now, so that the villagers will check the necessity of offered items also during the first trade.

Fixed - persists in 3.82.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Plotinus

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 07:15:37 PM »
Trading hundreds of boards at one go isn't often plausible because since they are too much of a burden to carry around, but nevertheless the said exploit exists.
This is fixed now, so that the villagers will check the necessity of offered items also during the first trade.

The usual way this was exploited was: chop some trees near the village, haul the trunks to a house in the village, create the boards, carry the items you want to buy to the spot with the boards. until all boards are in your inventory: pick n boards up, where n is the max you can pick up at a time (depends on player's weight), now you are carrying maybe 1000 lb of lumber. finally pick up the items you want to buy, chat with a villager.

Perhaps if you are already overloaded on weight you should not be allowed to pick up any more items.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 01:00:00 PM »

The usual way this was exploited was: chop some trees near the village, haul the trunks to a house in the village, create the boards, carry the items you want to buy to the spot with the boards. until all boards are in your inventory: pick n boards up, where n is the max you can pick up at a time (depends on player's weight), now you are carrying maybe 1000 lb of lumber. finally pick up the items you want to buy, chat with a villager.

Perhaps if you are already overloaded on weight you should not be allowed to pick up any more items.

Yes, I figured the overload carrying - but not moving - can be done by picking up the excess weight in smaller portions.
Hmm, for now I don't think we'll need restrictions to overloading oneself like this. I bet we'll still discover more trading exploits item wise in the future,  but they'll be addressed when reported and time allows.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything