Topic: [Fixed - persists in 3.81] Enemy archers attack from beyond player visible range  (Read 5992 times)

PALU

« on: July 22, 2023, 03:17:23 PM »
This is a borderline issue between bug and suggestion.

I went up against an enemy (njerp) archer for the first time in a long time (possibly 2-3 years), and while I have no problem with the removal of the cheesing ability to attack enemies from beyond their (fairly limited) maximum attack range, I think this has been carried too far, as I've been attacked from out of my (the player's) maximum visibility range when zoomed out to the maximum possible. While this probably is within the character's maximum view range (as counted in number of tiles), it's not within the maximum display range (with the possible exception of the very corners of the displayed area).

Now, it can be said that attacks from extreme range has a limited probability of hitting, and thus may actually be detrimental to an enemy with a limited amount of ammunition, but it still feels unfair to let the enemy attack from a range at which the game doesn't even allow me to try to fire back.

As an aside, the enemy can now fire your own arrows that injured them back at you, which is rather nasty, to the point that you may have to think carefully whether firing at them from a distance would actually be better than engaging an ammo depleted enemy in melee.

(If anyone is interested, my character did eventually manage to take out the enemy after suffering significant injuries).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 07:34:10 PM by Sami »

Bert Preast

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 04:04:48 PM »
I agree about foes pulling arrows out of themselves and "returning to sender".  If an archer has loosed all his ammo then I cease to shoot at him - much safer to back away then hit him with an axe when he's knackered! 

I am not sure the combat system is set up to handle it, but removing an arrow during combat should probably add a bit of extra damage, and certainly carry a risk of bleeding.  Especially so with broadheads.  Even more so with javelins and spears.  Trouble is, I don't think the game differentiates between an arrow picked up from the ground and an arrow stuck in a leg.

Being sniped from out of sight is irritating; I usually back away or take cover, forcing the archer to come closer so I can shoot back.  In a game where a single unlucky arrow hit can mean game over, I'd say it's a bug and needs fixing.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 07:33:22 PM »
Both instances fixed; shooting from beyond the max. map range, and shooting back the arrows that have hit them.

Fixed - persists in 3.81.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything