Topic: Santa might want to put out some want ads.  (Read 5991 times)

favomancer

« on: June 24, 2023, 05:48:37 PM »
I've some trap-fences surrounding my fields, and some deadfalls in front of the trap-pits. That's largely to protect my little clearing and the livestock within from predators. I also have the door to my little barn protected by a fence with a heavy bear deadfall in it.

Well, Rauni, my character, was about to retire to the warmth of her fur-padded bed, when she heard an awful racket outside. She grabbed her spear from its position by the front door and stepped out to behold a bonanza of meat.

Six forest reindeer had walked into the traps. It took her all night (and she was crawling before she was done) to mercifully dispatch all the reindeer and reset and re-bait the traps.

The skinning and butchering took two more days. Drying the meat and curing the hides (she was out of bark) took three more. There were daily sacrifices of reindeer cuts over those messy days, but what she put up to dry for trade was a staggering 525 reindeer cuts.

And then after that meat party was over, she walked her trap lines south of her little homestead to find an arctic fox in its thick winter fur trapped in one of her paw-board traps.

More sacrifices to the forest spirits followed.

Rauni is going to have a very good spring. She'll hardly need to fish and she can trade a lot of that meat with the nearby Driik village (in walking distance) for furs or trade goods to stock up on. Nonperishables.

JP_Finn

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 06:05:59 PM »
Sometimes one gets lucky :)

Also, I tend to use bark for tanning small game, say up to lynx/wolf.
Deer, elk and bear I generally tan with the animals' fat. (unless I need fat for custom recipes)

anything