Topic: Add recipe command [helpful10] etc  (Read 3612 times)

Brygun

« on: June 17, 2023, 03:11:18 PM »
I was thinking more on how to have optional items with the related complexities.

It occured to me a more plausible way is to add to the recipe language a small number of verbs:

[helpful10]
[helpful20]
[helpful30]

If the item is present then that fixed number is added to the skill bonus for making an item (10, 20 or 30). Like [optional] if the helpful item isn't present you can still continue.

In the case of a possible net making variation to allow with Saami's planned tools and without it could be:

.Net. 8h /-30/
{Knife}
{Netting needle} [helpful20]
{Yarn} =900= [remove]
{Rocks} (8)
{Birch-bark} #0.3# [helpful10]

In this language if you have all the tool Saami was planning you have full skill.

If you none of them you are making a lower quality net with -30 skill adjustment. It is after all possible in real life to make a net without those.

In this example the netting needle is twice as helpful as having the birch-bark.

By using a finite set of numbers it should be possible to scan with the existing parsing of the item lines. A variable amount would be harder to program. This seems more possible.

I can think of other recipes where this could apply. Like with smithing have a second hammer is helpful but not critical. As the second hammer has a different shape there will be times it makes the output a little better.

Decorations could also have optional items that would give more chances of raising the output quality which in turn leads to a higher price when sold.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 08:11:21 PM »
That’d be right in line with [assist:]
I like it.

And if a completed item could have same “helpful” to give a minor skill boost, that’d be good too. Leather shoes to give slight hiding boost, boots or fur footwear to give skiing boost.
And keep it minor. Fine to give 1-3% at most. MW too at 5%. Rough could give 1-3 malus and crude -5%.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 09:01:12 AM »
A problem with your suggested optional tool support is that it focuses on quality but doesn't address time (except implicitly by lowering the rolls). I suspect trying to make a net without a netting needle would primarily increase the manufacturing time dramatically, but I'm not sure it has much effect on the quality.

Brygun

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 11:17:29 AM »
I thought the character skill would affect the time needed.

In the case of netting needle or no needle I imagine non needle to take more time.

The technique I was for my landing net was based off of David Cantebury's where you run a horizontal top line then drape hanging lines off it. Start making crosses to tie up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl3ozIhJONU&ab_channel=DavidCanterbury

The needle seems more swish and tie though I haven't personally done it.

The net making was an example and other things aren't as time variable. Like the smith with a second hammer. The second shape will make certain parts of the task easier and faster but only those parts and only be a margin.

anything