Topic: Bush smoker for meats  (Read 3595 times)

Brygun

« on: June 09, 2023, 06:56:57 AM »
Currently smoking takes building a cabin size structure.

Watching alot of shows and documentary on survival and indigenous and they had alot simpler options.

Like a tripod of slender trunks over a fire, the covered in spruce to hold the smoke in. In this game its very similar to a shelter. That one seems reasonable to build a smoker.

There was other things like putting the meat in a bag, then the bag over a chimney to catch all the smoke which seems wierder to do in this game.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 09:01:10 PM »
+1 for sure from me!

I'd take smoking in kota, or kota frame work covered with spruce twigs or new structure: smoking shelter firepit, 6 stakes, 3x 4' tying material, 12 spruce twigs, 5 stones for fire-ring to be built adjacent to shelter*, effectively closing the shelter's open side. 
Smoke duration 3-4 days and set spoilage to ~15 days (compare to long smoke curing in sauna for couple weeks and spoilage set to 40). Usable for hunting trips and not needing to stoke fire for 2 and half weeks.

Something mobile.

*shelter is already a valid structure for setting protein to dry. And it'd separate tile akin to Framework (of kota) so it could accept fire and not burn it all down.

Now we'll need to start collecting alder chips for thicker, flavorful, smoke  ;)

Brygun

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 01:20:56 AM »
The shorter term spoilage is a good idea.

Real life the impression i have is that if were deep in the woods when you caught a big animal you could preserve it within a day or so to at least last "a while". That doesnt take a house which to build would mean the food had spoiled before the house was done.

15 days would let you make use of 45? ish cuts of meat.

maybe 30 days food spoilage would be better. That would be upto 90 pounds of meat from a roughly 200 lb reindeer ish sized animal.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 02:51:05 AM »
The food stays good until Spoilage_days has been reached, then daily there’s a “die roll” to see if it’ll stay fresh or go stale. So with some luck the spoilage is closer to ~18 days to stale, then another 2-3 days to actually spoiling. Store it in cellar and in winter, below freezing, gets no spoilage checks. Even in summer the spoilage checks in cellar are either delayed, or get pretty decent bonus to keep fresh.

Problem with hot smoking is that the protein has too much moisture left in it. Exterior cooks, inside stays at pretty much full moisture content. That’s why it’s so darn tasty!

For what it’s worth, it takes 36-48 hours, IRL, to salt&vinegar cure, then with mechanical airflow, 6-7 days to remove 50-60% of water weight. That gives you meat that stays shelf stable for ~8 months.
I have never had hot smoked salmon last longer than 2 days: it gets eaten up!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 04:53:55 AM by JP_Finn »

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 03:25:18 AM »
I’ve 98% ready recipes for smoking tripod, graphic, hot smoking meat&fish recipes done. Just no way to do it properly without true base items for meats & fishes
I’d really like to have biy_ modding, rather than dropped diy_ as world object for the smoker. Maybe one day  :D

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 05:03:14 AM »
I had been overthinking the protein hot smoking. Apart from a bug (just reported) using [patch:] on item and no [patchwise] on requirement, the "Smoker" 1.0 mini-mod is good to go!

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2023, 05:29:02 AM »
Why not? Until Elks implement bush smoker, there's an option to use Smoker and Hot smoking