Topic: [Outdated] [3.80] Community Mod BAC  (Read 14815 times)

c00de

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2023, 05:07:57 PM »
Awesome, it's not that big of a deal tbh but might be interesting to know for fixing in the future. Just tested it and the masterwork broad arrowhead (under weapons in inv) became a superior broadhead arrow while the perfect iron arrowhead (listed under tools) cannot be used at all. I can still melt those back into wrought iron and I'll just look around to buy superior normal arrows for now, only seen them once though and I had no skins on me lol. That's a pretty long journey you had JP, hope you had a good time and rest well.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2023, 09:19:06 PM »
If you use the "Broadhead arrow" recipe, not the "Arrow" under Make|Arrow, you should be able to use the "iron broadhead".

or add this recipe at the bottom of the diy_BAC_fletching_and_bowying.txt:
Code: [Select]

.Refine iron broadhead. "Broadhead" /1/ *COMMON* |-2| %50%
{iron broadhead} [remove]
[NAME:Broadhead]

Then you should be able to use it in vanilla arrow making.
If you want to use BAC for broadhead smithing and avoid the use of the above refine recipe; then you can replace this section in the diy_BAC_metalworking.txt:
.Iron broadhead.  (5)  "Broadhead" [effort:2] [phys:arms,hands,stance] *CARPENTRY* /4h/ [assist:1]
{*iron billet}  [remove]     '+Iron billet'
{Fire} [noquality]
{Charcoal} (6) [remove] [noquality] [ground]
{*anvil*} [ground] '+as an anvil nearby'
{*hammer} '+as any hammer'
{* tub of water} [noquality] [ground] '+for water for quenching'
[MATERIAL:iron]
[CATEGORY:Weapon]
with this:
.Iron broadhead.  (5)  "Broadhead" [effort:2] [phys:arms,hands,stance] *CARPENTRY* /4h/ [assist:1]
{*iron billet}  [remove]     '+Iron billet'
{Fire} [noquality]
{Charcoal} (6) [remove] [noquality] [ground]
{*anvil*} [ground] '+as an anvil nearby'
{*hammer} '+as any hammer'
{* tub of water} [noquality] [ground] '+for water for quenching'
[MATERIAL:iron]
[NAME:Broadhead]

They should then stack with vanilla broadheads and thus be usable in Make|Arrow|Arrow crafting.

c00de

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2023, 01:35:13 AM »
I see, thank you JP. Although the broadhead arrowhead from smithing menu is the one that is working fine with make menu Broadhead arrow, it's the normal iron arrow heads from smithing menu that don't want to be used in the Arrow recipe from that Arrow menu. I'm using that menu to craft arrows because I don't have another menu entry that has arrow making. Would your code work for normal iron arrowheads with a slight adjustment?

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2023, 04:05:14 AM »
Yes, modding is really straightforward and robust.
Few caveats: your recipe needs to have unique name in the crafting menus, or you’ll lose original recipe’s requirements or your modded recipe won’t follow the steps, one placed first in parsing the diy_ files takes priority.

If you replace “broadhead” with “arrowhead” you’re good.

About modding:
 .item. is what is shown in crafting menu, and will be the name of the product, such as .iron broadhead. If [NAME] is used then item gets the name of the tag from [NAME]. (Name can also be used on requirement line of the recipe.
{item} or {tool},{location}; are requirements for recipe.
“item” is base item that’s needed for about everything except *COOKERY* recipes.

And last three bits of advice: 1st read the UrW wiki on modding, 2nd open and read existing recipes, and 3rd don’t hesitate to post in the modding forum.
(I do feel that all this advice should be there and not on the BAC thread, but I’m still sort of jet-lagged. Don’t feel like splitting the question off)

Brygun

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2023, 05:47:50 AM »
JP_Finn thanks for answering various questions.

I've been off to other games as I tend to but thought to wander back to see if there were critical issues. Glad folks like JP_Finn are around to keep it going.

BAC is a "community" mod and though there are caretakers, like myself, it really belongs to the community and as numerous community contributors.

Bert Preast

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2023, 08:49:16 PM »
Is there a BAC coming for 3.81?  I am cursed to run URW via Steam, which I do not understand very well and which has a tendency to automatically install updates without the courtesy to ask me first!

My character is almost five years in now, and I don't want to risk any problems with an inadvertent upgrade to 3.81.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2023, 09:19:39 PM »
Is there a BAC coming for 3.81?  I am cursed to run URW via Steam, which I do not understand very well and which has a tendency to automatically install updates without the courtesy to ask me first!

My character is almost five years in now, and I don't want to risk any problems with an inadvertent upgrade to 3.81.

3.80 to 3.81 isn't huge difference. I think Netmaking is only thing that needs to be commented out / adjusted in BAC.

balketh

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2023, 07:31:24 PM »
Three things to report: A bug discovered in playing 3.81 with this mod, and two small fixes for odds problem in the mod!

One: I seem to have found a bug when crafting a dip net for ore scooping.

Attempting to craft a dip net using decent quality cloth and perfect quality cord from BAC resulted in an error that said: "Bug in LoydettyTarvike() function. Report!" The dip net itself functions fine when used with the BAC ore scoop option, but insists that it has no fishing hook and asks for one if (a)ctivated.

Two: I think I've worked out why some recipes like in BAC_Textilecraft - specifically recipes like the Loom, and the Weave Cloth options, fail to allow the user to select anything other than the exact quantity of yarn or cord required, despite having the [nominlen] tag.

When Arimon added the [nominlen] tag in their 3.7x update, I think they added it incorrectly, as tag order seems matters: they placed [nominlen] AFTER [remove], which seems to cause the game to try and fully remove the exact length (or weight) of item before acknowledging the [nominlen] tag, which means it refuses to allow for multiple pieces to be used. This is a guess, because in other recipes, like the Nettle Apron from BAC_Clothing, the [nominlen] tag is placed after the [remove] tag for their yarn entry, but the recipe accepts smaller yarn lengths as per the correct function of [nominlen]. It may have something do with the fact that the apron's yarn ingredient is a wildcard, where as the Weave Cloth ingredients are not. Unsure.

However, I have tested and confirmed that it works: simply shifting the [nominlen] tag to be before the [remove] tag causes the recipes to allow for multiple lengths/weights to be selected, much like other default crafts.

I have confirmed that this change also returns any unused materials to your inventory as per any other style of this craft. This completely removes the need for any recipes that specify "Use exact length, surplus is lost.". I'm currently testing this bug across other uses of [nominlen] to see if any others aren't working, and fixing accordingly. Will report if I find anything else.

Three: I also intend to poke around more in BAC's files and clean up a lot of the descriptive text formatting. In doing so, I learned why the descriptive text tag doesn't seem to work right half the time, causing many inconsistencies and difficulties in use in BAC's item text display in crafting.

The descriptive text tag can be used in two different ways:

'+as weights for the warps' - this version has the + on the inside of the ''s, which simply causes the descriptive text to be added to the end of the ingredient's name. "Stone" becomes "Stone as weights for the warps".

+'as weights for the warps' - this version is different, with the + on the outside of the ''s. This version does not show the ingredient's name at all in the display, and is mostly for using with {[TERRAIN:word]} tags to hide the code part. "[TERRAIN:barren]" would become "as weights for the warps", as would "Stone", unlike above. This is useful for placing more ambiguous/concise ingredient instructional text in place of the full name of an ingredient, while hiding unsightly wildcard and TERRAIN/TILE tags.

By moving the + outside of the ''s for all descriptive texts with visible tags (and a standardization pass, maybe), the ingredient lists for many recipes could be much more readable and easier to intuitively discover and use, in the absence of detailed encyclopaedia entries for BAC items and the like.

I've some regex experience, so I'll be playing around with making some careful cleaning passes of BAC display text and neatness, and see if I can't improve the foundations a bit for everyone. No promises, but it might help.

Cheers! Hope this has been helpful.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 08:03:45 PM by balketh »

Bert Preast

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2023, 08:27:23 PM »
I had the same error with the dipnet, it didn't seem to cause any further problems so you can safely ignore it.  Rudy explained what the cause was:

"The issue with the dipnet I know what is causing it. The original dipnet recipe, which I inherited so to speak, was meant to act as a fishing pole as well (the idea being that you could scoop fish). The problem started occurring with the changes to fishing poles requiring hooks to be added to them. I may have to change the dipnet so that it only works for iron ore, and not for fishing, in order to avoid that error."

I suppose that as we are due to get nets to scoop fish in the next update, the dipnet could be used exclusively for ore, or retired entirely and use the upcoming "lippo" net for scooping ore as well as fish.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2023, 09:22:49 PM »
Three things to report: A bug discovered in playing 3.81 with this mod, and two small fixes for odds problem in the mod!

One: I seem to have found a bug when crafting a dip net for ore scooping.

Attempting to craft a dip net using decent quality cloth and perfect quality cord from BAC resulted in an error that said: "Bug in LoydettyTarvike() function. Report!" The dip net itself functions fine when used with the BAC ore scoop option, but insists that it has no fishing hook and asks for one if (a)ctivated.

Two: I think I've worked out why some recipes like in BAC_Textilecraft - specifically recipes like the Loom, and the Weave Cloth options, fail to allow the user to select anything other than the exact quantity of yarn or cord required, despite having the [nominlen] tag.

When Arimon added the [nominlen] tag in their 3.7x update, I think they added it incorrectly, as tag order seems matters: they placed [nominlen] AFTER [remove], which seems to cause the game to try and fully remove the exact length (or weight) of item before acknowledging the [nominlen] tag, which means it refuses to allow for multiple pieces to be used. This is a guess, because in other recipes, like the Nettle Apron from BAC_Clothing, the [nominlen] tag is placed after the [remove] tag for their yarn entry, but the recipe accepts smaller yarn lengths as per the correct function of [nominlen]. It may have something do with the fact that the apron's yarn ingredient is a wildcard, where as the Weave Cloth ingredients are not. Unsure.

However, I have tested and confirmed that it works: simply shifting the [nominlen] tag to be before the [remove] tag causes the recipes to allow for multiple lengths/weights to be selected, much like other default crafts.

I have confirmed that this change also returns any unused materials to your inventory as per any other style of this craft. This completely removes the need for any recipes that specify "Use exact length, surplus is lost.". I'm currently testing this bug across other uses of [nominlen] to see if any others aren't working, and fixing accordingly. Will report if I find anything else.

Three: I also intend to poke around more in BAC's files and clean up a lot of the descriptive text formatting. In doing so, I learned why the descriptive text tag doesn't seem to work right half the time, causing many inconsistencies and difficulties in use in BAC's item text display in crafting.

The descriptive text tag can be used in two different ways:

'+as weights for the warps' - this version has the + on the inside of the ''s, which simply causes the descriptive text to be added to the end of the ingredient's name. "Stone" becomes "Stone as weights for the warps".

+'as weights for the warps' - this version is different, with the + on the outside of the ''s. This version does not show the ingredient's name at all in the display, and is mostly for using with {[TERRAIN:word]} tags to hide the code part. "[TERRAIN:barren]" would become "as weights for the warps", as would "Stone", unlike above. This is useful for placing more ambiguous/concise ingredient instructional text in place of the full name of an ingredient, while hiding unsightly wildcard and TERRAIN/TILE tags.

By moving the + outside of the ''s for all descriptive texts with visible tags (and a standardization pass, maybe), the ingredient lists for many recipes could be much more readable and easier to intuitively discover and use, in the absence of detailed encyclopaedia entries for BAC items and the like.

I've some regex experience, so I'll be playing around with making some careful cleaning passes of BAC display text and neatness, and see if I can't improve the foundations a bit for everyone. No promises, but it might help.

Cheers! Hope this has been helpful.

Also when using resource that isn't cord, yarn, tying material i.e. no length value, you can use [ask_num] to force player selection of the source resource. That does prevent the crafting mechanism from picking up a modded item with base item such as {Branch}.
I find it useful to use "Wood slat" as the base item, then change the [MATERIAL:] from wood or [TYPE:] from timber. That avoids accidental use of modded item for something else. Especially when only vanilla recipe to use wood slat is Make|Arrow|Arrow shaft, which forces manual selection.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2023, 10:56:13 PM »
I had the same error with the dipnet, it didn't seem to cause any further problems so you can safely ignore it.  Rudy explained what the cause was:

"The issue with the dipnet I know what is causing it. The original dipnet recipe, which I inherited so to speak, was meant to act as a fishing pole as well (the idea being that you could scoop fish). The problem started occurring with the changes to fishing poles requiring hooks to be added to them. I may have to change the dipnet so that it only works for iron ore, and not for fishing, in order to avoid that error."

I suppose that as we are due to get nets to scoop fish in the next update, the dipnet could be used exclusively for ore, or retired entirely and use the upcoming "lippo" net for scooping ore as well as fish.

Indeed.
.Dip net. "Fishing rod" produces the error and a Dip net with no hook
Changing the base item to
.Dip net. "Fishing rod with bone hook" causes the recipe to not pass craft recipe parsing. So not shown.
One could change the base item to trident, and set attack values to -1. And type to tool(Might get too many large fish)
Or we can wait few days/a week and we'll likely get the lippo.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2023, 05:10:06 PM »
I was curious what'll happen with the trident as dip net, i.e. the prompt of attacking with all attack type with -1.
Works pretty well, just the actual fishing flavor text is little bit off. See attached pic.

Here's the
.Dip net. "Trident" [effort:0] [phys:hands,one-armed] *CARPENTRY* /2/
{Slender trunk} [remove] [noquality]
{Branch} (2) [remove] [noquality] '+as spreaders'
{Cloth} #4# [remove] '+to make catching net from cloth, fur or leather'
{Thin cordage} =15= [remove] [nominlen] [patchwise]
'+for tying together'
{Axe}<Carving axe>
{Knife}<Small knife>
[WEIGHT:8]
[PRICE:0]
[BLUNT_ATTACK:-1]
[EDGE_ATTACK:-1]
[POINT_ATTACK:-1]
[AD_CLASS:0/0]
[1H_PENALTY:30]
[MATERIAL:wood]
[TYPE:tool]

Lurtz

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2023, 08:48:39 PM »
Amazing mod, but I can't figure out what I do with the fibres from birch bark, I thought maybe I could soak them and turn them into birch yarn or something but not sure exactly what they are for at this point.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2023, 10:06:05 PM »
I think the fibers from birch bark in BAC are for cordage.

demol

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2023, 07:18:16 AM »
Do BAC in its current state work with current 3.81/3.82 version?