Topic: Hired Companions Carry Goods?  (Read 3732 times)

GrimmSpector

« on: June 07, 2023, 10:50:12 PM »
Is there a way to do this? Or do I need to find a way to get an animal for it? I ran into a bear in the woods and can't carry most of it's meat back anywhere useful, as I'm far from home :(

PALU

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 11:03:40 PM »
I believe you can give companions "stuff" and then take it back later. Note that it's been a long time since I think I've done that, so don't trust me on that one.
Also note that dogs have some carrying capacity, in case you've got one (or more) with you.

Another strategy is to leave the non perishable stuff behind (e.g. bones, horns, teeth, skulls) and return to pick those up later when the time sensitive things have been dealt with. Meat left behind can be used as dog food if it spoils before you can get it, so it still has some use.

To find your way back you can mark the location on the overland map, and since I'm a lazy bugger I bring everything up there and drop the items up there so I don't have to search for it should an animal or similar thing cause me to zoom in to a different place from the one I zoomed out from.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 12:34:16 AM »
I believe you can give companions "stuff" and then take it back later. Note that it's been a long time since I think I've done that, so don't trust me on that one.
Also note that dogs have some carrying capacity, in case you've got one (or more) with you.

Another strategy is to leave the non perishable stuff behind (e.g. bones, horns, teeth, skulls) and return to pick those up later when the time sensitive things have been dealt with. Meat left behind can be used as dog food if it spoils before you can get it, so it still has some use.

To find your way back you can mark the location on the overland map, and since I'm a lazy bugger I bring everything up there and drop the items up there so I don't have to search for it should an animal or similar thing cause me to zoom in to a different place from the one I zoomed out from.

When I talk to them I do have the option to say I have something for them, I guess I can give it a try and then try SHIFT+G to get it back and see.

The strategy would be fine if I was looking at only needing a few pounds, but I need like 200 lbs covered. Speaking of I don't think it gave me a skull ... odd ...

JP_Finn

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 02:21:39 AM »
Skull gets dropped after last cut of meat. Same time with bones and fat.

You can chat and “deliver” goods to companions. And you can push/pack from ground, same as packing on an animal. Get or ; to reclaim items back. Red items are theirs and you can’t take them.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 05:06:11 AM »
Skull gets dropped after last cut of meat. Same time with bones and fat.

You can chat and “deliver” goods to companions. And you can push/pack from ground, same as packing on an animal. Get or ; to reclaim items back. Red items are theirs and you can’t take them.

I tried push, but it just went to the ground, maybe it was because it was too much weight. Delivering in dialogue and the Getting after did work, thank you!

Brygun

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 05:31:16 AM »
just remember when the companion starts talking about leaving to get your stuff back while leaving a suitable payment with them.

JP_Finn

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 06:15:52 AM »
just remember when the companion starts talking about leaving to get your stuff back while leaving a suitable payment with them.

Yes indeed, get your belongings from the companion. Then Chat, command and tell you don't need them any longer. Do NOT exit the conversation, but choose deliver option, then give the helper stuff until he says "finally".. It's weird how snarky the helpers are!
Logging and building help is hardest to pay. Hunting and Njerp killing are the easiest to pay for. Meat and plunder!  ;D

anything